View Full Version : What's the best thing for my friend to do with his AWs?

Agent Tikki
11-26-2011, 7:39 PM
Have a friend I met through business, long story short, we've agreed to go out shooting. He's got an impressive collection of ARs, Aks, SKSs etc etc. Problem is he's had them from the early 90s and they all have hi cap mags and none have mag locks. I've talked to him about getting "legalized" but he's a bit resistant. It's too late for him to RAW them right? I'm also kind of hesitant now to go shooting with him...am I possibly opening myself to a whole bunch of trouble just going out to a range with him? Guilty by association?

11-26-2011, 7:41 PM
A. Dont tell anyone and hope for the best ( bad idea )
B. Get compliant.

Agent Tikki
11-26-2011, 7:43 PM
Its too late to RAW them?

11-26-2011, 7:45 PM
Get compliant. (through BBs or OLLs, or features...)
Don’t go shooting with him until then.

I have friends who I try and keep my distance from because of their cavalier attitude, not worth losing my rights (even for just 10 yrs) to have a few hours of fun with a buddy. There is no reason for him to not get them compliant and adhere to the laws of CA, they suck IMO, but better then getting booked into jail for an UnRAW. And if he is really understanding he will truly consider the advice of a friend. :)

Dave A
11-26-2011, 7:45 PM
I think he is saying they are all listed and were never registered. If true, the owner can buy off list lowers for the AR's and just use the uppers as the lowers can not be legalized now from other threads on this issue.

11-26-2011, 7:45 PM
Its too late to RAW them?


11-26-2011, 7:46 PM
Wasn't there a case where someone did not register their AW's and when caught their defense was the original 4473 was considered a registration and the case was dropped?

11-26-2011, 7:48 PM
SKS are on the Roberti-Roos AW list and many ARs and AKs are banned by the name and you can't register anymore.
If they are on the list it's not just a matter of high capacity magazine and BB.
First unregistered AW is amisdemeanor and after that will be a felony for sure.
I would not handle any of your buddy's unregistered AWs.

Agent Tikki
11-26-2011, 7:53 PM
Crap. Forgot about THE List.

11-26-2011, 8:08 PM
You could always move to Arizona or Nevada. Probably need the guns out of CA.

11-26-2011, 8:37 PM
Get them outta the State.

11-26-2011, 9:02 PM
Just tell him to take teh recievers apart, and buy compliant receivers with bullet buttons., save the high caps in a drawer until he goes shooting in Nevada and get some ten round magazines.

A LOT of people didn't register their guns as RAWs in this state in teh 1990's
They thought it would be overturned or just didn't know. They all have seruious FELONIES in their houses.
Not too hard to fix, there are compliant lowers (or uppers for FALS) for each gun. Just remember NO HI-CAPS in BB guns, but if he makes them compliant by being "no evil features" then he can use his high caps.

But he should separate the uppers from the lowers right now.

11-26-2011, 9:17 PM
Taking the receivers apart doesn't eliminate possession of a banned by name firearm though.

11-26-2011, 9:22 PM
Its too late to RAW them?

Yes. Last registration period closed over 10 years ago; as the law stands today, no new a/w can be added to the list, so there will never be another opportunity.

Presuming accuracy of your description, it seems probable that your acquaintance is exposed to a bunch of legal trouble.

If he has 'named' weapons, there's not a darn thing he can do with them; they're illegal until the law goes away.

Going out with him and any of those weapons is about as dangerous to you as being with a friend who decides to rob a convenience store on the way home. You might prove your innocence, but it would cost you time and $$ for lawyers.

See also the wiki, and show it to your acquaintance: http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Possession_of_UNregistered_California_%22assault_w eapons%22

ETA and he CANNOT take them out of state - it's a felony to transport unregistered a/w.