PDA

View Full Version : How do you like your AimPoint "replica"?

thefinger
02-27-2007, 8:08 AM
I am thinking about slapping an AimPoint clone on my M1 Carbine when I get one from CMP this summer. The one I'm looking at is at www.1337tactical.com . How many of you guys have something like this, and how do you like it? I don't plan on going into battle with it, but I'd like to know if it is good for plinking and such. Thankss.

Prc329
02-27-2007, 8:20 AM
Use the search, its been pretty well covered.

That being said. I love mine. I have the one that comes with the arms mount. Buy it, then go on ebay and buy real aimpoint batteries. It holds zero very well. The only "problem" is the markings for windage and elevation are backwards. Up is actually down and left is actually right. You can not fit a kill flash but we are not stalking insurgents anyway so that doesn't matter.

proraptor
02-27-2007, 8:31 AM
I also really like mine.....The only thing with mine is the red dot kind of washes out on really bright sunny days....Other than that it holds zero just fine

gose
02-27-2007, 8:48 AM
Not too impressed with the 1337 sight in general. My real Aimpoint will beat it hands down on every point, except price.
If you want a cheap sight for plinking the 1337 will do though. I have the 1337 on my .22 rifle and that's where it will stay...

Prc329
02-27-2007, 8:57 AM
Gose, I understand what you are saying but how many of us really need all that a real aimpoint can do. I mean we are not invading any small countries anytime soon. We just need something that is bright and will hold zero. I understand the benefit of a real one but I just don't see the justification on the price when the clone will get the job done. Once I got mine dialed in, it stayed there and I don't miss (when I do my part). That is one of the main reasons I sold my EOtech (besides selling the rifle it was on). After playing with my clonepoint I just couldn't justify paying over $200 more for the EOtech.

50 Freak
02-27-2007, 9:09 AM
Mine is okay...Only complaint really is the red dot is not as bright as I'd like.

biochembruin
02-27-2007, 9:27 AM
anyone know if the "high mount" on the www.1337tactical.com web site will give a good co-witness to an a2 front sight?

cloner
02-27-2007, 9:42 AM
I have one of the 1337 tactical "clonepoints" with the fake ARMS QD mount. The scope works as advertised and I have no complaints about it. It is great for plinking. I do however HATE the fake ARMS QD mount. It is a POS and I would not buy one with it again. The mount is loose and flops around when attached. I had to wedge a small piece of metal under the clamp to get it to work. I am waiting for a different mount to come in to replace it. I will at some point get a real Aimpoint or Eotech for my rifle and put the "clonepoint" on one of my other guns, but for now it does what I want it to.

Cloner

schizrade2
02-27-2007, 9:47 AM
Mine is doing great. It has never lost zero. I shoot at least two times a month with it. The rifle is no safe queen as I drag it with me usually tossing it in the back seat. It has been repeatedly (unintentionally) whacked against door frames, concrete shooting benches, exposed to snow and misting rain, and still functions as well as the day I put it on and zeroed it. Great $70 IMHO.

It is an Aim Point? No. But who cares. I would bet my skin on it. Besides, if it stopped working, I have irons to back it up. You can literally just frame the FSP in the center of the scope and be looking at dead zero without the dot or rear sight.

YMMV.

schizrade2
02-27-2007, 9:50 AM
anyone know if the "high mount" on the www.1337tactical.com web site will give a good co-witness to an a2 front sight?

Perfectly.

Jicko
02-27-2007, 10:00 AM
I am thinking about slapping an AimPoint clone on my M1 Carbine when I get one from CMP this summer. The one I'm looking at is at www.1337tactical.com . How many of you guys have something like this, and how do you like it? I don't plan on going into battle with it, but I'd like to know if it is good for plinking and such. Thankss.

Even if you guys are not going to be depending on this scope for live....

How do you guys feel about "stealing intellectual property"? How about encouraging buying stolen goods?

proraptor
02-27-2007, 10:01 AM
Yeah the high mount will cowitness perfectly...I do really think the clonepoint is the best bang for the buck...I would buy another one in a heartbeat...

JickoRicko- we have heard it all before....Gets old after awhile....I did nothing illegal by buying an aimpoint clone...get over it

chiefcrash
02-27-2007, 10:02 AM
I'm probably gonna get one of the leet aimpoint clones...

I would absolutely love a real aimpoint. but i would have a few more rifles...

chiefcrash
02-27-2007, 10:05 AM

How do you guys feel about "stealing intellectual property"? How about encouraging buying stolen goods?

So do you only buy non-generic perscriptions? Do you shell out the extra $$ for Vicadin brand Hydrocodone? Do you pay extra for Duracell batteries as opposed to Albertson's brand generic?

Jicko
02-27-2007, 10:07 AM
JickoRicko- we have heard it all before....Gets old after awhile....I did nothing illegal by buying an aimpoint clone...get over it

No, you did nothing "illegal".... sure....

The question was asking "how do you like your *replica*".... I am just saying how I, personally, feel about them.... even if they function perfectly.... I still, personally, think that they ripped off someone else's design and make money out of that.... and I won't, personally, encourage that ....

That's it...

(I am not saying it is "illegal" for you to do that... it is just how I feel... if I can't afford the real thing, I rather use my iron-sights than to get a *replica*, which I am certain that they didn't pay royalty to the original inventor... and they have NO repect for IP rights)

proraptor
02-27-2007, 10:11 AM

The question was asking "how do you like your *replica*".... I am just saying how I, personally, feel about them.... even if they function perfectly.... I still, personally, think that they ripped off someone else's design and make money out of that.... and I won't, personally, encourage that ....

That's it...

(I am not saying it is "illegal" for you to do that... it is just how I feel... if I can't afford the real thing, I rather use my iron-sights than to get a *replica*, which I am certain that they didn't pay royalty to the original inventor... and they have NO repect for IP rights)

You are right the question way how do you like your replica not how do you feel about aimpoint replicas...start your own thread...

Jicko
02-27-2007, 10:11 AM
So do you only buy non-generic perscriptions? Do you shell out the extra $$ for Vicadin brand Hydrocodone? Do you pay extra for Duracell batteries as opposed to Albertson's brand generic?

"Generic" perscriptions follow all IP-laws.... they awarded the original patent holder a certain time period to make money.... after that period expires, the "invention" becomes public domain....

Duracell is just a brand, they DID NOT invent the "batteries".

Jicko
02-27-2007, 10:14 AM
You are right the question way how do you like your replica not how do you feel about aimpoint replicas...start your own thread...

Hey man, I am not trying to pick a fight...

I looked and used one of those "replica" just the past wkend at the range... someone had one and showed me. It looked EXACTLY like a "real" one that I had before... even the little bitty external casing and covers etc...

It worked fine... but I was just saying how I felt about it....

thefinger
02-27-2007, 10:18 AM

That's it...

Capitalism, man. If they can make a competetive product that people like better for the money, then good for them. Thats why we're America--competetition. If AimPoint doesnt want to lose business to the 1337 fakepoint brand then they should market a cheap version for people like us who can't afford a $500 pricetag. I honestly don't think that this fakepoint manufacturer is stealing tons of business from AimPoint. People who want an awesome quality AimPoint are going to buy the real deal regardless.

savage1
02-27-2007, 10:23 AM

The same can be said for OLL's. They are all a knockoff of the original design and everyone here has no problems with them???

I just got a clonepoint and a facog today in the mail. I have read good reviews about them and the qaulity seems pretty good. I think they will fit the bill perfect. I'll post up after I get them mounted and get them to the range.

thefinger
02-27-2007, 10:28 AM
The same can be said for OLL's. They are all a knockoff of the original design and everyone here has no problems with them???

I just got a clonepoint and a facog today in the mail. I have read good reviews about them and the qaulity seems pretty good. I think they will fit the bill perfect. I'll post up after I get them mounted and get them to the range.

What facog did you get?

Jicko
02-27-2007, 10:29 AM

No no no no....

I truely think that many people are confused about these.

The AR-15 designs are mil.spec. items, the design belongs to US Gov't. They paid Colt or Armalite on a gov't contract, which the design ultimately belongs to the gov, and they published that as mil. spec. so that the US gov can source multiple manufacturers to build that same thing.

The IPs are in public domain.

savage1
02-27-2007, 10:34 AM
What facog did you get?

http://www.1337tactical.com/shop/productview.php?productId=100

I think I got the last one though because right after I ordered it they posted it was out of stock.

thefinger
02-27-2007, 10:37 AM
http://www.1337tactical.com/shop/productview.php?productId=100

I think I got the last one though because right after I ordered it they posted it was out of stock.

Sweet. I emailed them last week and they said those would be back in stock inabout 2 weeks for anyone who is looking.

NRAhighpowershooter
02-27-2007, 10:48 AM
I got one of the BSA red dots and it hold zero but.. if you rapid fire the rifle.. the red dot fades out after the 6th shot.. and doesn't come back until you stop shooting... not verrry shock resistant..... but then I'm only out $25 for it......

schizrade2
02-27-2007, 10:50 AM
How about encouraging buying stolen goods?

WTF? That's funny. I got a great laugh. Thanks.

Oh, BTW, I have your high horse at my place. Come get him before I shoot it.

schizrade2
02-27-2007, 10:52 AM
I got one of the BSA red dots and it hold zero but.. if you rapid fire the rifle.. the red dot fades out after the 6th shot.. and doesn't come back until you stop shooting... not verrry shock resistant..... but then I'm only out $25 for it......

I think that has to do with the batteries. I remember the Arfcom discussion about it. The cheap stock batteries lose contact when rapid fired, buying one piece battery solves that issue.

Technical Ted
02-27-2007, 11:01 AM
the design belongs to US Gov't. They paid Colt or Armalite on a gov't contract, which the design ultimately belongs to the gov, and they published that as mil. spec. so that the US gov can source multiple manufacturers to build that same thing.
Gov't doesn't own the design and the milspec doesn't contain blueprints or pictures of the rifle.

When the Air Force bought the initial batch of AR15's from Colt, the contract specified that Colt would retain the license. When the DoD set up other manufacturers as alternate sources for M16A1 and A2's, Colt received a royalty.

thefinger
02-27-2007, 11:05 AM
what do you think of this, guys?

http://www.imagebee.org/images/422630CarbAimpoint2.jpg

savage1
02-27-2007, 11:19 AM

I've seen that and I've thought really hard about doing the same to my carbine. But then again I like it original as well since mine is in great condition. I don't know what to do, but I love the look of it.

gn3hz3ku1*
02-27-2007, 11:49 AM
i got one. i like it, compared it next to a real one.. there is a difference.. not a 300 dollar one.

the high mount cowitnesses perfect with the a2 site and arms 40

Technical Ted
02-27-2007, 11:59 AM

Really depends how the scope is affixed to the rifle. If it's mounted on a rail like that of the Springfield M1A Scout, a mount that clamps around the barrel, then it's a solid base. If the scope is mounted to a railed handguard that has any play, then it's not likely to hold a zero.

shark92651
02-27-2007, 12:35 PM
I have one of the 1337 tactical "clonepoints" with the fake ARMS QD mount. The scope works as advertised and I have no complaints about it. It is great for plinking. I do however HATE the fake ARMS QD mount. It is a POS and I would not buy one with it again. The mount is loose and flops around when attached. I had to wedge a small piece of metal under the clamp to get it to work. I am waiting for a different mount to come in to replace it. I will at some point get a real Aimpoint or Eotech for my rifle and put the "clonepoint" on one of my other guns, but for now it does what I want it to.

Cloner

My mount holds the rail tight enough, but the screws that hold the site to the QD were coming loose. I put some red loctite on the screws and tightened it back pretty good. I haven't shot it since but I imagine that solved the problem.

DV8
02-27-2007, 12:57 PM

I wouldnt do that to an M1 carbine as I like them stock. I do have that mount and a tacpoint on an NDS rifle. Its the best setup for me, rock solid and cowitness with the iron sights.

As for the original topic, I like my tacpoints very much. They are used on cheap rifles that I didnt want to spend too much on. Both have held zero so far. I keep the real aimpoint and eotech on my more expensive guns.

NRAhighpowershooter
02-27-2007, 2:03 PM
I think that has to do with the batteries. I remember the Arfcom discussion about it. The cheap stock batteries lose contact when rapid fired, buying one piece battery solves that issue.

Granted the batteries might be cheap... I have the 50mm BSA red dot and it only uses one big honkin lithium battery... I'll go get a good battery for it soon and see if that cures it.....

proraptor
02-27-2007, 2:07 PM
Yeah guys you need to replace the 2 cheapo batts with the one battery that the aimpoint uses...

Prc329
02-27-2007, 2:53 PM
That makes a big difference.

thefinger
02-27-2007, 2:59 PM
how much are the good Aimpoint batteries?

proraptor
02-27-2007, 3:02 PM
I got mine at radio shack for like $5 I forget the model # Im sure someone else knows it...

thefinger
02-27-2007, 3:10 PM
I got mine at radio shack for like $5 I forget the model # Im sure someone else knows it...

wow, cheap.

Prc329
02-27-2007, 3:19 PM
Ebay link to batteries (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=010&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=200078010979&rd=1&rd=1)

TMC
02-27-2007, 3:30 PM
I've got a Hakko and its holding up fine. Use it for a couple of 3-gun matches with success.

FlexPlasmaRifle
02-27-2007, 3:36 PM
I have one for sale $90 if anyone wants it

Zwingli
02-27-2007, 10:38 PM
So that's the right battery in the ebay link above and can take the spec's into my local store and get a match? Thanks.

So far mine has held up pretty well. Seems there's been less "problems" than comparatively priced red-dots.

SixthChameleon
02-28-2007, 6:26 AM
I bought one from this Chinese seller on eBay ($19.99 + $22.00 shipping): http://cgi.ebay.com/AIMPOINT-M2-RED-DOT-SIGHT-WITH-CANTILEVER-MOUNT-h96_W0QQitemZ170085903634QQihZ007QQcategoryZ66827Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

For some reason, many people on this forum enjoy paying twice the price for the same product from 1337tactical ($69.99 + $10 shipping). Either way, it's still pretty cheap at a total of $42, $80, or more from another forum member. They're all from the same factory, except the sight that comes directly from China has Aimpoint markings, which would obviously be problematic for a seller in the U.S. or Canada.

Prc329
02-28-2007, 7:26 AM
I read over at arf.com that the one you posted is not the same unit and more times then not does not function properly. The Hakko and 1337tactical units are agreed to be the best of the clones.

SixthChameleon
02-28-2007, 7:51 AM
I read the entire ten pages of the arfcom thread and nobody ever did a side-by-side comparison of the Chinese and 1337tactical sights. I don't recall the post you're referring to, but just because it comes from a random post on arfcom, without qualification, does not mean that it's correct. I'm not sure how someone who hasn't owned both, let alone multiple numbers of both such that a statistical comparison could be made, could say of the Chinese sight that "...more times then not does not function properly". Take a look at the photos of the two. Everything about them, including the mounts, is identical. I have one. It adjusts precisely and holds zero, and it's the best $41.99 firearms related purchase that I've made.

slick_711
02-28-2007, 8:28 AM
Gose, I understand what you are saying but how many of us really need all that a real aimpoint can do. I mean we are not invading any small countries anytime soon.

Maybe we should. Maybe instead of buying land in Alpine for CCWs we should all invade a small South American country . . .

I also really like mine.....The only thing with mine is the red dot kind of washes out on really bright sunny days....Other than that it holds zero just fine

I've never used a "clonepoint" but if it works the same as an Aimpoint, close the front lens cover and shoot with both eyes open. Your brain will superimpose the dot over your target and it works almost like a laser pointer. I wouldn't recommend this for shooting Bullseye, but for CQB or short range targets in the sun it's very reliable.

I'm in need of an Aimpoint but can't afford one at the moment, so I think I'm going to buy a decent Larue mount, and a clonepoint, then down the road upgrade to an Aimpoint if funds allow :confused:

proraptor
02-28-2007, 9:20 AM
yes if you shut the front cover it does do what you are talking about...

EricCartmann
02-28-2007, 9:31 AM
I am a kool aid drinker myself. I like the real deal, I like designer labels, and I like to feel good knowing that I have the best equipment money can buy. I may not be able to afford a real Fomula-1 race car, but I sure could afford a real Aimpoint.

Having said that, I gave the Fakepoint (Aimpoint clone) a try just to see what Aimpoints were like. Now I don't see a reason to get a real Aimpoint because
1) Eotechs are way better
2) I can't see Aimpoint being much better than the Fakepoint. The fakey holds zero just fine and they look cool like real Aimpoints, my Fakepoint even says "Aimpoint" on the side and on all the covers :D

Problems with mine were like everybody else:
- I had to replace the cheap batteries that came with it after only about 2 hours of use.
- It is not bright enough for really bright days. Another problem is the 4 MOA dot is ok for CQB but at 300 yards you get more precision with irons.

At least I got to find out I don't need a real Aimpoint. I will stick with Eotech, they are way way better for both CQB and long range work.

schizrade2
02-28-2007, 9:33 AM
I am a kool aid drinker myself. I like the real deal, I like designer labels, and I like to feel good knowing that I have the best equipment money can buy. I may not be able to afford a real Fomula-1 race car, but I sure could afford a real Aimpoint.

Having said that, I gave the Fakepoint (Aimpoint clone) a try just to see what Aimpoints were like. Now I don't see a reason to get a real Aimpoint because
1) Eotechs are way better
2) I can't see Aimpoint being much better than the Fakepoint. The fakey holds zero just fine and they look cool like real Aimpoints, my Fakepoint even says "Aimpoint" on the side and on all the covers :D

Problems with mine were like everybody else:
- I had to replace the cheap batteries that came with it after only about 2 hours of use.
- It is not bright enough for really bright days. Another problem is the 4 MOA dot is ok for CQB but at 300 yards you get more precision with irons.

At least I got to find out I don't need a real Aimpoint. I will stick with Eotech, they are way way better for both CQB and long range work.

Lol, well put. :D

biochembruin
02-28-2007, 9:56 AM
so is there an EoClone around??

cloner
02-28-2007, 11:45 AM
My mount holds the rail tight enough, but the screws that hold the site to the QD were coming loose. I put some red loctite on the screws and tightened it back pretty good. I haven't shot it since but I imagine that solved the problem.

That was the first thing I did was to loctite the mounting screws. I checked the lever and the small metal piece that gets pushed up against the rail appears to be too short. I'm not too concerned at the moment since I have a temp fix in place and a better mount on the way. It's very solid right not, but it's not a QD mount any more. :)

cloner