PDA

View Full Version : Honda EU2000i $899 @ camping world - til 11/27

wheels
11-26-2011, 2:18 PM
Stopped by today to see if they had any in stock and they were on sale. That's the club price - join for $20 I think. Also says they will ship for free on the web site. (http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/honda-eu2000i-generator-carb-compliant/34961)

Not the companion unit - that's $999

VictorFranko
11-26-2011, 2:40 PM
That's $100 cheaper than I've seen them. Thanks for the heads up!

Nelsona
11-26-2011, 2:44 PM
Is this a great price?

wheels
11-26-2011, 3:04 PM
Is this a great price?

They have been out of stock since we had that power outage in San Diego a while back - so I've had it on my list of things to get.

$899 is pricey for a 2kw generator but everyone swears the Honda or Yamaha are reliable as ____ so I'd rather get a good one than have it fail when I need it.

The cheap ones are also pretty damn loud - keep that in mind.

ETA: Check the threads here in this forum for more info on gens...

akjunkie
11-26-2011, 4:55 PM
Got mine @ wisesales.com earlier this year. $900 plus $25 UPS w/ Insurance. NO tax, arrived in 4 days.

socalocalypse
11-26-2011, 5:05 PM
I think I paid $350 for my 3500 peak watt gennie *but* it is l o u d. You pay for the quiet of a honda. I put mine in a box surrounded by cement blocks, that keeps it much quieter. Still loud.

Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

DiscoBayJoe
11-26-2011, 5:09 PM
You can get an EU2000i delivered for under $800 from wise sales any day of the week!

VictorFranko
11-26-2011, 5:16 PM
Got mine @ wisesales.com earlier this year. $900 plus $25 UPS w/ Insurance. NO tax, arrived in 4 days.

Did you buy a CARB compliant model (+$80)?
The one from Camping World is CARB compliant.
I would hate to break any law by purchasing and using a non-CARB compliant model :rolleyes:

FWLTLK
11-26-2011, 5:21 PM
Bought mine a couple years back from wisesales.com for less than 800, no tax and free shipping. Two days to my door ups, and no CARB crap.

problemchild
11-26-2011, 5:34 PM
You can get an EU2000i delivered for under $800 from wise sales any day of the week!

Wise Buy: $899.99
Wise Buy companion: $999.99

DiscoBayJoe
11-26-2011, 5:37 PM
Wise Buy: $899.99
Wise Buy companion: $999.99

You know what, you are right! I think I told my GF it was "800" and that affected my memory :)

Here was their quote when I picked up my Yamaha:

YAMAHA
EF2000IS IS 879.99

HONDA
EU2000I IS 899.99 IN RED
EU2000I IS 1119.99 IN CAMO
FREE SHIPPING AND NO SALES TAX ON ALL THE GENERATORS... CALL 1-800-916-9473 TO ORDER.. www.wisesales.com

I really wanted camo, so I made one myself:

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/301010_10150406135651823_563416822_10132237_103198 5077_n.jpg

problemchild
11-26-2011, 5:58 PM
For me the honda 1k was big enough. Its 25lbs and sips gas. I used one for 5 weeks running small items on and off on one tank of gas. The honda 2k gen is 45lbs and uses a lot more gas.

bsg
11-26-2011, 6:09 PM
You know what, you are right! I think I told my GF it was "800" and that affected my memory :)

Here was their quote when I picked up my Yamaha:

YAMAHA
EF2000IS IS 879.99

HONDA
EU2000I IS 899.99 IN RED
EU2000I IS 1119.99 IN CAMO
FREE SHIPPING AND NO SALES TAX ON ALL THE GENERATORS... CALL 1-800-916-9473 TO ORDER.. www.wisesales.com (http://www.wisesales.com)

I really wanted camo, so I made one myself:

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/301010_10150406135651823_563416822_10132237_103198 5077_n.jpg

looks good.

akjunkie
11-26-2011, 6:19 PM
Did you buy a CARB compliant model (+$80)?
The one from Camping World is CARB compliant.
I would hate to break any law by purchasing and using a non-CARB compliant model :rolleyes:

Yes, I had to call in my order. First thing the operator ask is If i was from Cali. She gave me the Cali price. $900 plus S&H.

edit:

bought it back in June 2011. email response was $900 shipped. Then when i called in my order, they tagged another $15 for Insurance.

$915 shipped.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=448308&highlight=akjunkie

Dutch3
11-26-2011, 7:37 PM
Seems like a lot of money for a 2Kw unit. No 240V, useless for me.

XYZ
11-26-2011, 8:43 PM
If you're a ham, I've seen these advertised in QST for $899, free shipping. As long as you're an ARRL member. QST is to ARRL members as American Rifleman is to NRA members.

ETA: I just checked the Dec 11 issue and it's $899.

thenodnarb
11-26-2011, 9:14 PM
I wonder if these low wattage generators would be more useful if they were setup to charge a battery bank, then you could run a larger inverter from the bank. Of course you could only run the higher wattage for a shorter period of time, but it might be OK to run the genny for a few hours, charge up the bank, run the fridge/freezer lights and TV for a little while in the evening and turn things off when you go to bed(and maybe run the genny at night to charge the bank again to cycle the fridge again in the morning.

wheels
11-26-2011, 9:44 PM
I wonder if these low wattage generators would be more useful if they were setup to charge a battery bank, then you could run a larger inverter from the bank. Of course you could only run the higher wattage for a shorter period of time, but it might be OK to run the genny for a few hours, charge up the bank, run the fridge/freezer lights and TV for a little while in the evening and turn things off when you go to bed(and maybe run the genny at night to charge the bank again to cycle the fridge again in the morning.

Well the Honda I just bought (my only gen) has a 12 vdc output for charging batteries. So whenever the gen is running it will be charging 2 12v batteries that I can utilize for a light or two off a 400W inverter ($30). Opposite of the idea above but an added capability for me.

I'got a decent Xantrax 1200w inverter that quit working - opened it up and the morons soldered 4 30A ATC fuses right into the main circuit board. I've actually decided to take a chance and try to jerry rig some new fuses into the unit - else it goes into the garbage.

Mr. Beretta
11-26-2011, 9:55 PM

Got a link? Number I can call?

Last month I had mine delivered from Wise Sales. Paid $919 plus the Ca. fee of $80 plus $14 insurance for mine.

ireload
11-26-2011, 11:35 PM
We have the EU2000i at work along with with 2 - 5000 watt Coleman brand. Most of the time we use the 2000i since it's more quieter and lighter. Always wanted to get one for home but I keep putting it off due to price.

donger
11-26-2011, 11:51 PM
The Honda is well worth the price of admission. It's relatively quiet and sips gas. The output is stable enough to run sensitive electronics and has enough voltage to run appliances. It's small and light and built really well.

akjunkie
11-27-2011, 12:54 AM
Got a link? Number I can call?

Last month I had mine delivered from Wise Sales. Paid $919 plus the Ca. fee of $80 plus $14 insurance for mine.

So $1013 shipped to your door?

TheChief
11-27-2011, 3:52 AM
Can anyone comment on why the Honda vs the Yamaha or visa versa?

I am looking to pull the trigger on one of these before the end of the year.

Sinestr
11-27-2011, 7:47 AM
I purchased a Honda EU2000 about eight years ago for $899 at Us Rentals, sounds like a good deal at camping world. I love mine, quiet, doesn't use much gas and always starts. It has been one of my favorite purchases, I highly recommend the 2000.

Suhleen
11-27-2011, 8:18 AM
If any of you are local to Chino, there's a place off Central Ave called Tools R Us that had the 2000i for $799 in their Black Friday ad.

DiscoBayJoe
11-27-2011, 8:57 AM
The honda is a hair quieter (i've (not) heard them at campgrounds); however, I went with the yamaha because there were rumors it would run a RV Rooftop A/C. Sure enough, if i'm careful, I can get the Yamaha to run the A/C on the houseboat (coleman RV style rooftop unit). I haven't had access to honda to try the same, but all posts I found said it would not work.

TheChief
11-27-2011, 12:06 PM
Well I just dropped $1,100! Should have the new toys by this Friday...Yeah.

WiseSales.c0m had better prices then Amazon on the items they carried, to my surprise.

I picked up:

Honda EU2000i - 899.99
DC Charging Cables - 15.99
Theft Deterrent Bracket - 14.99
Extended run kit comprising:

Gas cap - 29.99
Gas cap fitting - 7.50
Magnetic oil dip stick - 18.89
Oil filler - 14.99
Inline gas filter - 11.19
spare filters - 7.97
6.6gal fuel tank - 36.03
Fuel line/primer kit - 24.96
Sta-Bil - 11.35

I will also be picking up some maintenance kit items from the local Honda dealer to include 2 each of: air filter, air element, and spark plug.

The Sta-Bil will allow me to keep 6.6 gallons of premium fuel for about two years in my shed.

Once I get everything. I will have to test what systems I can run off the gene and what size and length of extension cords I am going to need.

Thanks for the thread and the links folks!

Mr. Beretta
11-27-2011, 1:59 PM
So $1013 shipped to your door?

Nope...$1,014.90..delivered.

Love the thing, very quiet, will run my full size refrigerator, a couple of lights, etc.

Great unit.

And BTW.....I just spoke with Wise Sales.....The Honda EU20001 delivered to CA. is $989.99 plus $14.91 for insurance, total $1,004.90. No tax, no shipping charge.

thenodnarb
11-27-2011, 2:56 PM
So what is the fuel consumption rate? I realize it varies but I'm curious how long it can run on a gallon of gas at low throttle.

akjunkie
11-27-2011, 5:03 PM
So what is the fuel consumption rate? I realize it varies but I'm curious how long it can run on a gallon of gas at low throttle.

Going off memory here, but it should be 10hrs on 1/4 load?

I bought mines in June 2011, I run it once a months for 20 minutes even tho I added Stabil. Still a full tank.

U can also get an extended tank to extend run time.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXTENDED-FUEL-KIT-HONDA-GENERATOR-use-your-5-G-tank-/110690071017?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c5a471e9

Fast FWD to 4:35

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vICSXGR17-o

Falstaff
11-27-2011, 7:55 PM
If the CA carb compliant versions are anything like CA "green sticker" dirt bikes what they've done is simply jet the carb to be extremely lean which makes the engine run much hotter (decreasing engine life). If one can't get the non CA version, I wonder how hard it would to de-California these for Proper performance?

thenodnarb
11-27-2011, 8:37 PM
what exactly would be the penalty for acquiring a non california compliant generator and using it? Are we looking at fines? Jail time? Shot in the back of the head on the street?
And really, how wold anyone EVER know? Aren't they banking on business doing the enforcement for them by going after manufacturers?

Falstaff
11-28-2011, 8:41 AM
I know someone who buys chainsaws/lawn equipment in NV....
I was talking to the owner of a Stihl chainsaw dealer in placerville a couPle years ago he said the first thing the lumberjacks do is convert their CARB carbs back to normal as the saws have noticeably lower performance when jetted so lean.

socalocalypse
11-29-2011, 8:52 PM
I read that someone acquired a gennie that looks a lot like mine but its non carb compliant. It cost way less, and supposedly has no catalytic converter and runs quieter. I heard they got it off ebay without problems.

Me, I'd go with a new generator regardless as the used ones are *all* low usage , just need carbs rebuilt , or don't run at all, or who knows what.

I use mine frequently, but I'd wager lots don't. Like a motorcycle its got a petcock to shut of the flow of gas to the carb. I never remember to do it, but if you're going to leave the thing for a period of time I read the trick is to shut off the gas flow(petcock) and run it till it goes dry to get the fuel out of the carb. There's a lot of crap in the lower 1/4" of the fuel tank, sediment, I never knew gas was so dirty from the pump.

thenodnarb
11-29-2011, 11:53 PM
So I been looking into these more. It seems the 2000 can run about 15A but the 1000 can only run half that. So the 2000 can handle a fridge but not the 1000
The companion sacrifices a DC charger for the ability to run a 30A socket but only when you run 2 in parallel. I think I'd prefer to have the DC charging ability. What do you need a 30A socket for?

Apparently these hondas have a very high quality inverter. Is it a pure sine wave inverter, or just close? If it is pure sine, it seems like a waste to charge batteries only to run a cheaper inverter off of it.

I wonder if I'd be better served by a 1000 or 2000?

Edit: Looks like my fridge needs only 4.5 amps to run so the little one would work fine. But now I want the big one because I could run any of my power tools off the 2000.

Seesm
11-30-2011, 12:48 AM
Not sure if the used eu2000i I bought a little over a year ago is a "carb" model but it rocks...
I race Yamaha's and LOVE Yamaha's but at the races EVERYONE uses the Hondas... Why do you ask? Well I wanted to try both to see for myself... And now I have run BOTH the Yamaha and the Honda and the Honda is quieter and just feels more solid.

Over the years I tested with Honda and Yamaha and both are great products but I know the development Honda puts into there stuff and its ALOT more than any other comapany. Honda's EU2000 is GREAT... I run alot of stuff off mine. I love it.

akjunkie
11-30-2011, 6:06 AM
Not sure if the used eu2000i I bought a little over a year ago is a "carb" model but it rocks...
I race Yamaha's and LOVE Yamaha's but at the races EVERYONE uses the Hondas... Why do you ask? Well I wanted to try both to see for myself... And now I have run BOTH the Yamaha and the Honda and the Honda is quieter and just feels more solid.

Over the years I tested with Honda and Yamaha and both are great products but I know the development Honda puts into there stuff and its ALOT more than any other comapany. Honda's EU2000 is GREAT... I run alot of stuff off mine. I love it.

Before I bought my Honda gen. I did research on it, and basically "Everyone" over at RV.net loves it. And these are retired / Full time campers that use their generator on a regular basis for Years.

Eljay
11-30-2011, 12:55 PM
Before I bought my Honda gen. I did research on it, and basically "Everyone" over at RV.net loves it. And these are retired / Full time campers that use their generator on a regular basis for Years.

Likewise on all of the professional photographer forums it's all anybody will use. Most of these inverter-based generators will eventually kill strobe lights because the power output isn't a pure sine wave, but the Hondas have no such problem. Also they're pretty light and they're quiet enough that you don't have to shout over them to give the models directions, etc. If you're just doing a quick shoot with a couple of lights there are battery based solutions, but if you're out there for a long shoot that's what everybody uses.

It's also worth walking around a farmer's market if you go to one with people selling cooked food. A good number of them have a generator and they're nearly 100% Honda - anything else is too loud and if you do run into somebody with a cheap generator it really stands out. But the Hondas are unnoticeable unless you actually look for them.

Basically if you care about portability, noise, and not frying electronics it's Honda. I would only consider another brand if you don't care about at least two of those.

bruss01
11-30-2011, 2:00 PM
I like ours - bought two of them. One by itself is enough to run our washer, dryer (gas), refrigerator and furnace (gas forced air). That's all I really need to get through a power outage. Caveat - dryer must be started first, runs fine with everything else after that.

I have the additional cord that connects the two, making it equivalent of a 4k watt unit. But by virtue of being separate, my wife can lift and move them by herself, even lifting them into the back of our truck. I like that.

TheChief
12-05-2011, 10:22 AM
I spent part of this weekend setting up my new Honda EU2000i gene. I picked up the parts, listed in a previous post, to create an extended run fuel tank. So instead of a 1.1 gallon tank, I know have a 7.7 gallon tank.

While the gene is quiet compared to other open frame units, it does still make some noise. I would like to make some type of sound box to help reduce the noise while also allowing for air flow. I am thinking of a Plywood box with the foam acoustics tiles you see in music studios. And some 90 degree turns. Thoughts? The gene would run on my back deck so carbon monoxide poisoning is not an issue.

I also went around the house and pulled/researched the amp/watt load of the appliances and toys I would want to run during a power outage. The numbers are below. My current focus is for the winter so heating is number 1. The fridges are number two. I have enough batteries to run lanterns for a couple of months ;)

-Gas Furnace 1 – 6A – to run the blower, electronic air cleaner (40w), thermostats, and humidifier unit. I have a two furnace house with the second one in the attic for the second floor. I figure I can run the lower unit more often and let the heat rise
-Gas Water Heater – 0A – I didn’t realize it at first, but my water heater does not require electricity to run…SaWeet
-Fridge 1 – 5A
-Fridge 2 – 6A
-House Alarm – .5A – Power to the panel whenever the gene is running, otherwise will run off the 6v inside and I have a spare (should determine the runtime on a battery and maybe a solar charger for this. In the mean time should pick up a powered charger for the second battery to run off the Gene)
-Laptop, internet router, firewall/Wi-Fi – 2A – Netflix and Amazon Video anyone
-Ryobi Battery Charger – 1A - Fans, work lights, radio, and power tools
-Battery Charger – 1A – D, C, AA and AAA charger for everything else

I can’t determine how long the Furnace will need to run over a give day considering I will only run one, don’t know the temperature it will be (and it is still warm now), and will run the thermostat lower than normal, say 55-60 degrees. This will be hard for me to test until this January where I can do a full dry run assuming the wife doesn’t blow a fuse ;)

The fridges will run for 30 minutes every six hours or so. I will want to test this during the HVAC test given the lower temperatures in the house during a power failure in winter. If the power failed during summer/fall, more likely 30 minutes every four hours. I would like some type of temperature monitor over the course of a 24 hour period to measure during the test though.

Thoughts?

cranemech
12-05-2011, 11:29 AM
Chief
Maybe check out some of the RV forums for some ideas on mitigating the genny noise.
Are those amperages you posted for a running load? Start-up loads for electric motors can be significantly higher than running loads.

Suhleen
12-05-2011, 12:34 PM
So I been looking into these more. It seems the 2000 can run about 15A but the 1000 can only run half that. So the 2000 can handle a fridge but not the 1000
The companion sacrifices a DC charger for the ability to run a 30A socket but only when you run 2 in parallel. I think I'd prefer to have the DC charging ability. What do you need a 30A socket for?

Apparently these hondas have a very high quality inverter. Is it a pure sine wave inverter, or just close? If it is pure sine, it seems like a waste to charge batteries only to run a cheaper inverter off of it.

I wonder if I'd be better served by a 1000 or 2000?

Edit: Looks like my fridge needs only 4.5 amps to run so the little one would work fine. But now I want the big one because I could run any of my power tools off the 2000.

You can parallel a 2000i with the 30A Companion, which would give you the DC option as well as the 30A.

People want the 30A outlet for their RV's, or if you install a transfer switch you'll want the 30A as well.

amd64
12-10-2011, 3:32 PM
I'm looking at getting a EU2000iac. Also interested in having a propane fuel option if possible.

Anyone using a propane kit with their Honda EUx000iac generators? What kit(s) do you recommend? TIA for info!

TheChief
12-11-2011, 6:48 PM
I'm looking at getting a EU2000iac. Also interested in having a propane fuel option if possible.

Anyone using a propane kit with their Honda EUx000iac generators? What kit(s) do you recommend? TIA for info!

I don't have the kit but am researching this as well to run off of the house gas feed for running during a power outage.

Here is what I found:

Someone's writeup --> http://www.technomadia.com/2009/07/propane-power-and-cooling/

The Kit for sale $179 --> http://www.generatorsales.com/order/Honda-EU2000i-Tri-Fuel-Kit.asp?page=Honda_EU2000i_Tri_Fuel_Kit

The kit sold already attached to a EU2000 --> http://www.generatorsales.com/order/Honda-EU2000i-Tri-fuel.asp?page=EU2000i_Tri_Fuel

The kit allows the genie to run gasoline, LP, and Natural Gas.