PDA

View Full Version : Post Buyout Marlin (esp 336)?

garplay
11-26-2011, 12:34 PM
Has anyone purchased a post-buyout (2008 or newer) Marlin Model 336? Or other post-buyout Marlin rifles?

I'm considering getting a 30-30, lever action hunting rifle, and I've seen reports online questioning the quality of the post-buyout Marlins.

So I want to know if anyone has personal experience with post-buyout Marlin rifles?

sevensix2x51
11-26-2011, 1:17 PM
I have a new 336W, and it is a great rifle for the price. It wasn't without imperfections, the trigger was heavy (I replaced it with a Wild West trigger, with a night/day improvement,) the rear leaf sight wasn't adjusted properly (replaced that with a dovetail blank and installed a Williams aperture sight, was going to make this improvement anyways,) and sometimes the lever would bind before the rifle was broken in. Had to disassemble the action to get it to work properly, but I was babying the lever. When I would operate the lever like a tough guy, the rifle would work perfectly.

Other than that, no problems to speak of. Hope this helps.

geedavell
11-27-2011, 8:03 AM
I just picked mine up from basspro the other day. I haven't shot it yet but I'll let you know how it goes

TakeFive
11-27-2011, 9:08 AM
My 338MXLR has a very stiff lever and needs to be smartly operated. As previously posted, I believe this is a break in issue with a new gun. I've only put 20 rounds through it so far and the jury is still out. I have no other criticism of the gun, shoots true and looks great.

RayPDA
11-27-2011, 1:42 PM
I have a 336BL in .30-30 Win. I picked up on impulse this past Summer - the others are right, you have to muscle the action to get it to feed smoothly(I've only cycled it so far - it's never been fired). The laminated forend had a couple of sections on the checkering that were fudged up (think whitish blotches). The buttstock was much better, although the fit to the receiver wasn't even on each side. My main complaint is the loading gate; it's ridiculously stiff. I'll have to take her apart, do some real cleaning and get her out to the range for some breaking in before I make up my mind on it. I will definitely be going with the WW trigger kit and some XS sights.