PDA

View Full Version : My Bug Out Bag so far

cudakidd
11-26-2011, 1:16 PM
http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo284/cudakidd/Bug%20Out%20Bag/CIMG1272.jpg
Four Sealed Meals Dog food, 2 3600 Calorie Pack Survival rations, Dust masks, Binocs, Folding Dog Bowl, Steripen
http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo284/cudakidd/Bug%20Out%20Bag/CIMG1270.jpg
Survival radio, 9mm, 38
http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo284/cudakidd/Bug%20Out%20Bag/CIMG1268.jpg
Dental Medic, Field Trauma First Aid, Signaling Mirror and mini survival guide, CPR face shield, two Cobra walkie talkies
http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo284/cudakidd/Bug%20Out%20Bag/CIMG1266.jpg
Small hand axe, folding Shovel, survival saw, Freeplay Flashlight, CRKT 3 blade game knife set, Swiss Army Champion, two Ponchos, two light sticks, two emergency blankets, fire starter, tinder kit, waterproof matches, water tablets, small signal mirror
http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo284/cudakidd/Bug%20Out%20Bag/CIMG1262.jpg
Walther TPH, 50 rounds Velocitor 22, Large Swiss Army knife, extra magazine
http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo284/cudakidd/Bug%20Out%20Bag/CIMG1260.jpg
Exterior, small crow bar, dog water bottle, signal whistle, Survival spoon, Gi Can Opener...

This is the basic kit, my situation to expect would be Earthquake. I need to add Gas Shut off wrench, Leathermen. All vehicles already have lots of gear stowed in addition as well as the small trailer. Plus Shelter in place gear at home is set up as well...

I have two back packs in addition with all the clothing and hygene needs for three days, one for spouse and me. They have internal Hydration and extra pair of shoes...

mackmack
11-26-2011, 8:08 PM
Seems like a great setup. I like that what you bring is simple and effective without unnecessary gadgets and comfort items. The food doesn't taste good but its compact and has plenty of calories.

The only thing I could recommend is a different flashlight. An LED mini-maglight would last far longer than you have food for and doesn't weigh that much anyways.

Overall though, I really like how simple you keep everything.

Seeker
11-26-2011, 9:15 PM
Dont forget a tarp for shelter, a small bottle of Purell for sanitation and a roll of Scott Tissue toilet paper(1000 sheets).

XYZ
11-26-2011, 9:37 PM
This is the basic kit, my situation to expect would be Earthquake.

Good kit. If your expectation is an earthquake then I'd also add some cash. Some large and small bills.

wheels
11-26-2011, 10:17 PM
Good simple kit - I'm going to bust mine out for a review/inventory.

problemchild
11-26-2011, 10:54 PM
I have that wind up flashlight and its all but useless. Get something better for a light. The rest looks like a great start.

Now park your car by the side of the road and walk for 3 days in any direction, see what your missing so you can include it.

cudakidd
11-27-2011, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the feedback. Have taken the advice to heart. The irony is I just changed the contents over to the LAPG Large Bug out bag. Non back pack style. I will convert old BOB to my back pack, wife still has her smaller day pack.

Will change out the flashlight, have numerous Surefire e1e models with the spare bulb carrier and extra batteries...LAPG has them on serious clearance by the way!

Each vehicle has $100 in assorted bills locked away. My gun safe will have $500 set up the same way.

Each vehicle has hand sanitizer, TP, Moist wipes, 5 gallons of water.

Thanks again for the feedback!!

bsg
11-27-2011, 7:14 PM
i like that you've included binoculars with your stuff.

cudakidd
11-27-2011, 9:23 PM
I live in a semi rural area, I would like to see any trouble coming with lots of notice! I have much more expensive Binocs...but they tend to be heavier and they spend most of their time locked in a safe. For the money those are great Binocs, Tasco before they went Cheap/Chinese made...

bsg
11-27-2011, 9:54 PM
I live in a semi rural area, I would like to see any trouble coming with lots of notice! I have much more expensive Binocs...but they tend to be heavier and they spend most of their time locked in a safe. For the money those are great Binocs, Tasco before they went Cheap/Chinese made...

i've got w german Steiner Military Marine binoculars (8X30) that i've had since the mid 1980s. i'm very happy with them, but would like to get something compact as well.

11-27-2011, 10:05 PM
Nice set up you got there.
It took me a mean while to figure out what was needed and what can be scrapped.
Check out Mainstay Water Rations, can fit any where I carry about 6 in my main bag and 3 in my cars bug out bag.

cudakidd
11-28-2011, 7:22 AM
I have DOT 5 gallon containers in both of my Trucks. The two grab packs have two liter internal hydration in them.

Still tweaking systems...

Seeker
11-30-2011, 10:33 AM
You can also include sun block and chap stick. You never know if you will have to bug out in the heat of summer or in the dead cold of winter. Hope this helps. :)

FourLoko
11-30-2011, 10:40 AM
A+ choice on the LAPG backpack. LOL at the Swiss Army knife.

SMOKEYMOUNTAIN
11-30-2011, 11:11 AM
I would add a mini traveler's toothbrush and toothpaste and nail clippers to your setup.

cudakidd
11-30-2011, 5:30 PM
Need to also add moleskin...Yeah the Giant Swiss army knife is fun...a little bit of overkill...

The personal backpacks to go with this have all the hygene and personal needs stuff...one my wife and one for me. Basically 3 days worth...

AdidasCJ
12-01-2011, 4:41 PM
Like others have said. Add some more personal hygiene items. Toothbrush, toothpaste, soap etc. I looked at what kept me "comfy" when taking care of my Hygiene at home and added the basics to my kit to take care of it on the go.

Got Stuff?
12-01-2011, 5:42 PM
+1 on the moleskin.......that's kept in all my packs/kits though :)

ACLU hero
12-01-2011, 7:25 PM
i've got w german Steiner Military Marine binoculars (8X30) that i've had since the mid 1980s. i'm very happy with them, but would like to get something compact as well.

steiner military marine binos are the ****. have used them on the ocean to sight marks in life threatening conditions (40kts, 15ft breaking sea, and 85 fh with 99% humidity) and they were fog proof and literally life savers.

cudakidd
12-02-2011, 7:36 AM
Have a Brunton Epoch 10X and a Ziess 10X both very high end with amazing clarity. But they are big and heavy! Plus my BOB is sitting in a closet, not secured. Now if I have time to add to BOB as I bug out...

jamespres2001
12-02-2011, 7:55 AM
Didn't see paracord, need about 75-100'. Throw away the survival matches and replace with a mini bic lighter (or two). I have a roll of 1" orange marking tape used in the construction industry, to mark trails and for signaling. Duct Tape?
The pack looks good, I need to add a 22 cal myself.

irishsig
01-20-2012, 12:54 PM
Hey cudakidd thanks for the heads up on the LAPG clearances.
I was just looking for a bug out bag and ended spending $200 on other stuff, doh.:facepalm:

all torque
01-21-2012, 3:54 AM
I think a pot for boiling water would we be a good add on. Maybe not such a big deal for a couple of days type situation, but for sure during the long haul. You can only carry so much water with you.

cudakidd
01-21-2012, 8:14 AM
Hey cudakidd thanks for the heads up on the LAPG clearances.
I was just looking for a bug out bag and ended spending $200 on other stuff, doh.:facepalm:

LAPG is great when they have clearances going on! Great quality stuff too...

r3dn3ck
01-21-2012, 8:35 AM
I see a lot of people making these with generic backpacks. Good choice on something a little more capable. I use Tom Bihn Brain Bag with vertical brain cell inserts and Snake Charmer mini bags. It's been the best bag ever, very durable and thoughtfully designed. All the zippers are splash resistant, seams are super strong, zippers are heavy duty.

OP, I have a few questions and I mean no offense... just curious on thought processes.
1. why do you have ammo for guns it seems like you don't have in the bag?
2. was selection criteria leading to a .22 pistol as primary weapon based on more than just availability in your collection or is it just exactly what you wanted in there?
3. Was there any intent on keeping it all inside the bag? Nothing hangs outside my B.O.B.'s on purpose (and nothing rattles and nothing shiney outside it).

cudakidd
01-21-2012, 11:25 AM
I see a lot of people making these with generic backpacks. Good choice on something a little more capable. I use Tom Bihn Brain Bag with vertical brain cell inserts and Snake Charmer mini bags. It's been the best bag ever, very durable and thoughtfully designed. All the zippers are splash resistant, seams are super strong, zippers are heavy duty.

OP, I have a few questions and I mean no offense... just curious on thought processes.
1. why do you have ammo for guns it seems like you don't have in the bag?
2. was selection criteria leading to a .22 pistol as primary weapon based on more than just availability in your collection or is it just exactly what you wanted in there?
3. Was there any intent on keeping it all inside the bag? Nothing hangs outside my B.O.B.'s on purpose (and nothing rattles and nothing shiney outside it).

1. My primary guns (CCW) are either 38/357 or 9mm...Guns are secured in safe with easy access if I have even a couple of minutes warning. BOB is in closet where firearm would be unsecured in it.
2. I have lots, LOTs of firearms but the little Walther TPH has proven to be very reliable with any 22 ammo and is small enough for deep cover in the bag itself, worth the risk leaving it in the BOB thought is does seem to contradict #1 above.
3. My Scenario is probable earthquake, I don't plan to have to hike through a combat zone, trucks and trailer are available, no major sniper worries!;) So rattles, shiny stuff not a factor in my plan.

r3dn3ck
01-21-2012, 11:55 AM
grazi.

shocknm
01-21-2012, 12:08 PM
Why not have the dog hump his own supplies?

http://www.teacupdogshop.com/images/normal_BPEX_Dog_Backpack_Model_Chihuahua_Blue.jpg

Wait. You do have a dog, right? :p

cudakidd
01-21-2012, 2:44 PM
LOL! Yup, two Bull Terriers, I plan to get some light carry harness for them in the future.

Rumline
01-21-2012, 2:52 PM
I think a pot for boiling water would we be a good add on. Maybe not such a big deal for a couple of days type situation, but for sure during the long haul.
Jetboil. Self-contained pot, stove, and fuel. Lightweight and relatively compact. And does a heck of a job boiling water!

problemchild
01-21-2012, 3:33 PM
Its a good start but..........

Ounces = pounds and pounds = pain.

I would trim off all leashes, tags, bags, instructions, holders, cases, etc. and put it all in one bag. You might trim off a pound or two. I would also have a lot more ammo in cardboard ammo boxes. Forget the fancy plastic holders.

cudakidd
01-21-2012, 5:09 PM
Remember, I don't plan to hike out!;) This is a BOB but=Go and Stow...I have two trucks and a jeep and trailer...plus I really hope a Bug in Scenario will work for me.

My past experiences (such as they are) show two-three day interruption in services. In Central Cal, no ice storms, floods, etc to really disrupt long term. Here the most likely is Earthquake.

I may be optimistic but I have made a calculated guess...