PDA

View Full Version : how to appraise rifles for sale

xyooj916
11-26-2011, 12:23 PM
Hi there, I am new to cal guns and need some advice for you knowledgeable people. How do you appraise a rifle and how much do you expect the gun to depreciate after you purchase it. Does gun lose their value like a car. Please help.

grant22
11-26-2011, 12:31 PM
To appraise the value before I buy (if I'm understanding your question correctly) I prefer to go to gunbroker.com, do a search of that rifle, and then see what the high, low, and middle of the price spectrum is. I also like to see if the local shop has the same rifle also, to compare the price.

Firearms don't depreciate ANYTHING like a new car. Yes, as soon as you take it home it's not new anymore, but will hit a wall depreciation wise. Then, as long as you take care of it, it will maintain the slight depreciated value and will most likely go up with inflation.

There are also some eradic swings in value (up or down) depending on the political climate of the time or if some new law gets passed.

In my opinion, of all the hobbies I'm involved in and from a financial standpoint, firearms are the closest thing to an investment as I'll get........imagine that, an investment you can have fun with.:hurray: