PDA

View Full Version : question about sighting in my scoped shotgun

anotherone
02-26-2007, 11:27 PM
Alright, so I finally splurged and put a little 1.75-4x32 scope on my shotgun for Turkey and pig hunting. It goes without saying that I still intend to use it without a scope for duck hunts, pheasants, etc. Consider it a sort of high-tech black powder slug gun :D!

My question is as follows: when sighting in my newly scoped shotgun will I have to do so for both bird shot (for turkey) AND slugs (for pigs)? Or if I sight in for just one type of shot, say slugs, would I be good to go with both types?

metalhead357
02-27-2007, 12:03 AM
2 different loads/types will usually net 2 different impact areas. I'd say sight with whatever you primarily will hunt with the scope with (from the sound- Bird ...#4 or #6 shot)

You couldalways try a slug too; aint gonna hurt much except the wallet;) If it DOES have the same impact point(s) them I will be amazed......but then again, stranger things have happened.

BTW- What distance you gonna sight for with the shot? 40 yeards?

AND NOTE; DO NOT FIRE A SLUG THROUGH A EXTRA FULL....though it may work...its exceptionally hard on the gun/choke.

anotherone
02-28-2007, 3:20 PM
BTW- What distance you gonna sight for with the shot? 40 yeards?

Yeah I probably won't be firing further than 40 or 50 yards, which is why I'm just using a small 1.75-4x32 power. With the Federal TruBall slugs though I've shot some surprisingly tight groups at 62 yards though!