PDA

View Full Version : S&W Model 52

WINGEDSWORD
02-26-2007, 8:46 PM
If anyone out there appreciates a really accurate easy to shoot TARGET gun,
They ought to get a model 52 (if they can find one). They're not intended as a defensive piece,(though they could be used as one) But boy, are they fun!
I've had one for years and for pure relaxing shooting, you can't beat it! I'd like to get a 952, but talk about expensive!:D

tzahoy
02-27-2007, 6:43 AM
I couldn't agree more, I've had a 52-2 since the early 80's and it is the most rewarding gun to shoot I own, and the most accurate centerfire pistol I've ever shot. I used to shoot with Bob Chow on weekends in Alameda, and he brought along some really sweet old school custom target 45s, but at 25 yards the 52 was king.

The 45s really shine at 50 yards though, and getting a 52 to shoot well at that distance is a little tougher. The wad cutters are just beginning to tumble at that distance and loading them hotter doesn't help a whole lot in terms of accuracy.

The 52 is one of the finest target pistols ever made, enjoy yours and shoot it often!

dfletcher
02-27-2007, 7:50 AM
A Model 52 has always been on my "next to get" gun list. How is the trigger pull and how difficult (and expensive) are the mags?

HowardW56
02-27-2007, 8:09 AM
If anyone out there appreciates a really accurate easy to shoot TARGET gun,
They ought to get a model 52 (if they can find one). They're not intended as a defensive piece,(though they could be used as one) But boy, are they fun!
I've had one for years and for pure relaxing shooting, you can't beat it! I'd like to get a 952, but talk about expensive!:D

If they can find and afford to buy a model 52.....

I have had the oppertunity to fire a Mod 52-? I don't remember if it had a revision number... But they are very accurate and easy to shoot well....

Bing
02-27-2007, 8:36 AM
I've had my 52 since the mid 80's. It's a really sweet gun to shoot. Unfortunately one day the the sear/hammer wore out on me and I had to get it fixed by S&W....and the trigger hasn't been the same. Still a great gun to take out in the range.

SnWnMe
02-27-2007, 11:42 AM
I always wanted a 52 i just haven't walked into a good deal. They are about $1K used here. The mags are like $60 each.

tzahoy
02-27-2007, 7:04 PM
The trigger is better than any of my 45s including my series 70 Gold Cup and my Wilson KZ45. I've never felt a better trigger on a centerfire handgun. Almost no reset distance and breaks at about 1-1/2 lbs. My High Standard Victor is marginally better.

I got some factory mags on sale at Midway for $40, not cheap!

TonyRumore
02-27-2007, 7:32 PM
I had a 52-1 for about 10 years. What a great pistol for target shooting. The trigger was incredible.

The original 52's was not machined to accept the front barrel weight, but the 52-1's and -2 were.

The barrel weight is the holy grail of parts to find....I can't express that enough.
I have collected or tried to collect all sorts of rarities for years, and that barrel weight is way up on the list. It's close to finding a Sokolovsky AutoMaster........it is that difficult to find.

Tony

jlbflyboy172
02-27-2007, 10:17 PM
The model 52 looks an awful lot like a bigger version of my model 39-2. I find that the 39 is also very easy and fun to shoot. Must be a similar breed. Been reading a lot about the merits of the 39 and it's contribution to the auto pistol world in various magazines lately.

JB

tzahoy
02-28-2007, 6:33 AM
You hit the nail on the head. The 52 is based on the 39, which happens to be one of my favorite 9mm. The 39 is a very sweet piece, usually they have exceptional finish and actions smooth as glass. Probably the most overlooked 9mm out there. Hang onto yours and enjoy it!

Inoxmark
02-28-2007, 7:26 AM
A few days ago a seller in San Diego listed a 100% M52 on Gunsamerica for a very reasonable price considering condition.
http://www.gunsamerica.com/classifieds/none/_976842135.aspx