PDA

View Full Version : Handguard for 18 inch barrel AR

hawkeye
11-25-2011, 8:48 PM
Plan on doing a scoped flat-top with DPMS Hi-rider receiver and was wondering whats the best hand-guard for a 18inch barrel with micro YHM gas block.

Any suggestions? I'm looking at the FDE Hogue free float or Magpul MOE.

tomd1584
11-25-2011, 9:37 PM
It doesn't matter which one you choose, the upper rails won't line up. Just curious, but why did you choose to use the Hi-rider?

I think you should use a Daniel Defense 12" Lite rail. But only if you use a standard-height upper receiver.

hawkeye
11-25-2011, 10:26 PM
It doesn't matter which one you choose, the upper rails won't line up. Just curious, but why did you choose to use the Hi-rider?

I think you should use a Daniel Defense 12" Lite rail. But only if you use a standard-height upper receiver.
I want a scope that is higher than the normal flat-top and I hate the forward assist and dust cover.

I recommend you checking it out as it feels really, really nice. The walls are thicker as well and you'll notice that the bolt catch is encased by a surrounding wall.

Its just really cool!

Also, I'm not really looking for a tac rail system. This was what I was mainly thinking. Just something simple to hold onto...
http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/public/qD3PXuwwTEXREJ5YYlAL-c1QMTxc1cb9UPAVofMiTUcFBN_AX-eachqCQQUiXFW7VX21gd0lGoGYktTkn6r24PS_fpYstaufqVLt P9Oj5LkkYV9wi1w1KgPFJuf817c4l6NAZ5xKws8qLD79aZhOIX s_ckdLDJbQNWgp

hawkeye
11-26-2011, 9:56 AM
Anyone have experience with hogue free floats?