PDA

View Full Version : Is This Result Typical...?

goodlookin1
11-25-2011, 8:34 PM
It was my first go yesterday at a 6" steel gong at 200 meters with my AR-15. It sports a piston, a standard 1-9 twist 16" chrome lined barrel and an Eotech. I was able to hit the gong with alarming regularity and surprised myself (then the barrel started warming up too much and started spraying a bit more erratic). I probably could have done better too if the gong was spray painted something bright, but I didnt have any, so the face just looked like a teeny gray rock out there.

My question is, is that typical of a shooter and their AR? Or is that more on the "better than average" side of shooting? I mean, it's only a tad bit better than 3 MOA, which isnt very good, but for open sights/non magnified optics at 200m on a hard to see object, I was surprised how accurate I was. Maybe I am just tooting my own horn...

Whether it's good or not, I was very happy with the results and drove home with a smile on my face... :) Plus, it was just a lot of fun :D

sirgiles
11-25-2011, 9:25 PM
yup.
typical... if you have young eyes.

NorCalK9.com
11-25-2011, 9:46 PM
I hope so, uf I can do it with an ak47 then you better be able to do it with a AR w/eotech. Good job though bud.

pacifico23
11-25-2011, 9:50 PM
Yeah I'm similar. I can usually hit it like 8-9 times out of ten. But yes as your barrel gets hotter you will lose a little accuracy. Good shooting!

Agent Tikki
11-26-2011, 5:05 AM
Freehand right?

With a red dot that's good man.

Now try 300 yrds. You can do it. I have a 4 moa aimpoint. You have a 1 moa eotech. Just figure out your holdover and have at it.

Red dots are soooo cheater. Gotta love them. :D

r3dn3ck
11-26-2011, 5:40 AM
almost anyone should be able to hit a 12" wide gong at 300yrds offhand with pretty minimal training with an AR-15. It's not like it's a hard shot, hell the gun is designed to do exactly that with no sight adjustment. When you're busting 4" wide targets at 300yrds with every shot then you're starting to show good accuracy. This does nothing to diminish your accuracy, you're doing well but this is not in fact anything special or even beyond what should be termed average. As a matter of fact it's sorta pedestrian but it shows promise. Keep practicing and when you can keep them all in the X ring at 100yrds with open sights then try the gong and see if you can pick a hemisphere of it to hit instead of just the whole thing.

zfields
11-26-2011, 6:06 AM
I probably couldn't even see a gong out that far.

sonnyt650
11-26-2011, 6:35 AM
I probably couldn't even see a gong out that far.

Some guys paint the 4" wide steel strips at Metcalf a bright orange, otherwise it's difficult to make those out against the tan/green background even with a 3-9x scope. I would never have suspected that just breaking up the surface could let something like steel blend in with the background, but there it was. If this was similar I wouldn't be able to hit the described target either.

ZX-10R
11-26-2011, 6:52 AM
ARs are very accurate. Makes some shooters look better than they are.

Agent Tikki
11-26-2011, 7:02 AM
Don't listen to them.......

Push urself and see how good you can be.

I'm happy hitting 8/10 at 300 standing free hand before my support hand starts getting tired and the front sight begins to bob.

After you're tired go prone or bench and take her out to 400 and 500. ARs are accurate!

jokat989
11-26-2011, 8:21 AM
6 inch steeel plate, 400 yards all day
ars are accurate.

captbilly
11-26-2011, 9:55 AM
Three things, in this order, tend to effect accuracy the most.
1. The shooter: your possition, eyesight, steadyness, trigger control etc. Very few shooters can shoot to the full accuracy of a good AR
2. The ammo: most ammo I have tested in ARs (and I have carefully tested at least a dozen types) will shoot much less well than what the gun can do with the "right" ammo. I have seen the same gun on the same day, with the same shooter, off the same bipod, shoot anywhere from 3 moa to 0.5 moa (10 shot groups).
3. The rifle: the barrel is the biggest factor on a really good shooting AR, but things like free floating hand guard, good sights/scope, well fitted stock, nice trigger, also figure into the accuracy.

Reading your post it is hard to know which factors were accounted for. When I was a kid I could shoot well under moa with non-magnified sights but today I can't seem to do much better than 3 moa with my Eotech (maybe it is the rifle the Eotech is mounted on but I think it is me). If you are shooting offhand and getting most of you shots inside 3 moa (6 inch target at 200 yards) then you are doing very very well. Even back in my serious competitive shooting days I don't think I could do better than moa shooting off hand (maybe not even that well). I have seen many (probably most) shooters who were unable to shoot 3 moa from a sandbag.

kemikalembalance
11-26-2011, 10:25 AM
If you are worried about holding the accuracy, go with a better barrel. I put a scope on my wifes ar to see how the heat affects the accuracy. she has a lightwieght Rock River barrel. It did 1.5 to 2 inch groups, cold to about 50 rounds or so. After that it went to about 4 to 5 inch groups. It stayed there till we let it sit for over an hour or so. Then it was back to 1 to 2 inch groups. I use a white oak barrel, havent got it hot enough to hit hit any worst than 1.5 at 100. Just an idea.

AR-15 Rep
11-26-2011, 1:29 PM
The AR's are very accurate rifles. You can add so much to them with all the different options etc...