PDA

View Full Version : H buffer for my mid length?

Cpl_Peters
02-26-2007, 9:46 PM
What are the advantages of having one of those heavy (H, H1 or H2) car buffers i see on bravocompanyusa.com in your car lenth buffer tube rifle? I have a mid llength gas set up on my OLL and want to know is it a good 30 dollar investment? What exactly would a heaver buffer do. I am not having any problems with my stock car buffer but would like to know if it will do somehting cool like make my bullets go around corners or make it feel like a .22 or what:confused: . Thanks

Technical Ted
02-26-2007, 9:54 PM
Going to a heavier buffer could result in short stroking depending on what kind of ammo you shoot.

xenophobe
02-27-2007, 2:04 AM
Each rifle is pretty independently picky. Some will run with H buffers, others won't. Ammo choice is pretty important as well. If you're running full charge 5.56 loads in 62 gr and heavier, a H buffer might work fine.

A heavier buffer will slow the cyclic rate of fire in machine guns, and also reduce the recoil impulse of a semi-automatic rifle.

If you're just running the cheapest ammo you can find, or Wolf, I'd avoid the H buffer. As Ted said, it will short stroke.

Cpl_Peters
02-27-2007, 7:24 AM
I normally just run surplus xm193 55gr FMJ. If it doesnt do anything others than slow things down and may cause short stroking then I i dont want it even if I do shoot the right ammo.

Paratus et Vigilans
02-27-2007, 9:20 AM
I put a heavy buffer in my 16" barreled Stag 6.8 SPC build because of the higher power of the round, and it works great with Remington ammo, but not with Hornady. I was getting FTE/FTF every couple of rounds with the Hornady. Hugely annoying with a Prince50 pinned mag. I went back to Remington, had no problems at all with it, and have stayed with the Remington ever since.

Hmmm. Maybe I ought to try a regular buffer in it, and try another box of Hornady 6.8 SPC and see what happens.

Anybody out there running a heavy buffer in a 20" barrel build with 69 GR or greater .223 rounds, and if so, to what effect or benefit (or detriment)?

Technical Ted
02-27-2007, 11:26 AM
I put a heavy buffer in my 16" barreled Stag 6.8 SPC build because of the higher power of the round, and it works great with Remington ammo, but not with Hornady. I was getting FTE/FTF every couple of rounds with the Hornady. Hugely annoying with a Prince50 pinned mag. I went back to Remington, had no problems at all with it, and have stayed with the Remington ever since.
My approach on my 16" midlength was to use a PRI/MSTN QC brake, an LMT enhanced carrier and a rifle buffer system to tame the recoil. The enhanced carrier is heavier and has a third gas vent hole.

Muzzle jump is low, through the scope, you can see when the bullet hits a Shoot-n-See at 100 yds.

Except for some initial low power development loads the rifle will cycle any factory loaded Remington, Hornady and Silver State. (I put it together in mid 2005 while there was a severe lack of ammo and had to load my own--reloading rule: start low and work up)