PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Noveske upper. Recommendation and why?

hyperion.excal
11-25-2011, 8:51 PM
Im in the market for a noveske upper for christmas. Im looking at Noveske Light Recce VIS Basic upper VS Light Recce Low-Profile Upper. (both barrels are chrome lined)

#Noveske N4 16" Light Recce Low-Profile Upper
Price: $1,180.00
complete flat top.
11" free floated handguard w/ 1913 rails

#Noveske N4 16" Light Recce VIS Basic Upper
Price: $1,282.05
fixed front sight
troy flip up rear sight
VLTOR 9" VIS monolithic upper

I like both and i really cant decide which to get. Do you think the VIS basic upper is worth the extra $100 with the stuff that it comes with?

(This will be my first AR build and i want to be sure on what im getting, i dont want to regret my decision later down the road and say i should have chosen the other one)

CrossedRifles
11-25-2011, 9:14 PM
Get the VIS, main difference is the rail IIRC, I was going to start building another AR, but ended up buying a handgun.

Worth the extra $100 IMO.

Noah3683
11-25-2011, 9:35 PM
The vis is substantially wider than the lo-pro rail. Something you may want to consider

norcal-ar
11-25-2011, 10:19 PM
just a little fyi as a former noveske owner. they are very solid products but to be honest i recently built another rifle with this upper:http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XSTU9540VTX&name=Spikes+Tactical+14.5%22+Elite+CHF+Vortex+5.56 %2f.223+NiB+BCG+Upper+Receiver&groupid=301&search=upper but in 16" and seriously its pretty damn close to the performance out of my noveske with lots of similar features.The noveske did produce better groups (about 1/4" better .with the same ammo ive used with this same upper and optic but i gotta tell you i am very pleased with the quality of this spikes upper. if I were you and your going to go ahead and go noveske go with the VIS it is well worth it!!!

hyperion.excal
11-26-2011, 3:17 AM
just a little fyi as a former noveske owner. they are very solid products but to be honest i recently built another rifle with this upper:http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XSTU9540VTX&name=Spikes+Tactical+14.5%22+Elite+CHF+Vortex+5.56 %2f.223+NiB+BCG+Upper+Receiver&groupid=301&search=upper but in 16" and seriously its pretty damn close to the performance out of my noveske with lots of similar features.The noveske did produce better groups (about 1/4" better .with the same ammo ive used with this same upper and optic but i gotta tell you i am very pleased with the quality of this spikes upper. if I were you and your going to go ahead and go noveske go with the VIS it is well worth it!!!
Hi. Thank you for your kind advice. I only want to buy noveske right now but i will consider other brands later.

ZNinerFan
11-26-2011, 5:37 AM
I had the low-pro recce upper from Noveske. It was a great upper and the SWS rail that it comes with is a nice rail.

I have never handled the Noveske VIS upper but I have heard it is heavier then the SWS equipped uppers. Not sure if more weight makes a difference to you or not.

I am going to get a Noveske basic upper and put on some plastic free float handguards. I never used any of the railspace on my old upper.

orb451
11-26-2011, 8:41 AM
I own the N4 Recce VIS Vltor upper (with fixed front sight) and have close to two thousand rounds threw it with no issues whatsoever. Never had a jam, failure to feed or eject. Granted this isn't a huge volume of ammo, but I've been very happy with its performance and accuracy thus far.

Just my .02

Mute
11-27-2011, 8:46 AM
The VIS will allow you more flexibility in where you can mount your accessories, however, it will be heavier also. The SWS is a nice fore end. I have a Lo Pro with the SWS system and I like it. Just consider whether you need to solid, uninterrupted top rail or not. If you need it, get the VIS, if not, you'll be fine with the SWS. You'll also have the option of changing the handguard later should you decide you don't like it. No changing the VIS.