PDA

View Full Version : Steel Case ammo in AR

Viper49
02-26-2007, 6:53 PM
Hello all
I am interest in purchase some Wolf 223 steel case ammo for my AR. So anyone try steel case ammo in their AR15? Is there any problems encounter with this ammo to the AR15? Good or Bad. Your response is very much appreciated :)

02-26-2007, 6:56 PM
Some people here don't like the wolf ammo. I have shot a lot of it without any problems. You will definetly have to give your gun a good cleaning afterwards.

American_pride
02-26-2007, 6:58 PM
I have never had any problems with it. My brother in-law on the other hand has to push cases out of the upper with a cleaning rod if rapid fired...................

Vepr62
02-26-2007, 7:08 PM
3000+ rounds through Bushmaster carbine, no problems whatsoever. That steel is very soft and wont damage your rifle. If you overheat your chamber, it may melt the laquer coating and make cartridge loading/ejection slugish. This only my observation.
Vasiliy

thefinger
02-26-2007, 7:12 PM
I have been told that it has corrosive primers, so clean your gun after you shoot. But you should be doing that anyway. its cheap, get it.

Charliegone
02-26-2007, 7:14 PM
WOLF? Corrosive?:confused: maybe surplus stuff...but I would expect better from newer stuff.

Viper49
02-26-2007, 7:16 PM
Thanks
So it must be the lacquer and dirty powder that case the problem then. In that case I better stay with brass case 223 then. Anyone knew where is a good place to buy brass case 223 in North Ca?

Maddog5150
02-26-2007, 7:21 PM
laquer? you must be using the wolf "military classic" the newer stuff is poly coated so it wont melt.

Guns R Tools
02-26-2007, 7:21 PM
Here is some info regarding Wolf ammo.

http://theboxotruth.com/docs/edu18.htm

Prc329
02-26-2007, 7:38 PM
I shot some steel case this weekend. 2 of my ARs don't like it, one eats it up like it was a lays potato chips.

American_pride
02-26-2007, 7:44 PM
I shot some steel case this weekend. 2 of my ARs don't like it, one eats it up like it was a lays potato chips.

I think it just depends on the gun. guns all have their own personality

ETD1010
02-26-2007, 7:44 PM
If you rifle can shoot it, use it. it's cheap and goes 'bang'. Good enough for me :)

thefinger
02-26-2007, 8:13 PM
WOLF? Corrosive?:confused: maybe surplus stuff...but I would expect better from newer stuff.

Wolf doesn't use corrosive powder, but they do use corrosive primers. Its not a big deal if you just clean your weapon after you shoot it, but you should still know what you're shooting. I mean, I don't care if I use corrosive ammo.. I shoot USGI .30-06 from 1943 and Belgian stuff from the 70s. I just make sure to take care of my rifles and not let them sit for months after shooting the old stuff. :cool:

m1aowner
02-26-2007, 8:57 PM
My High Standard/Stag/Bushmaster/DPMS hybrid build ate through 100 rounds of Wolf yesterday with no problems, and with respectable accuracy. I've been wanting to try some Wolf .308 in my M1A, but can't find any, it's all dried up.

rssslvr
02-26-2007, 10:09 PM
I won't shoot wolf anymore after I had a case head seperation with their .308,so if anybody wants I have around 120 rounds of loose .223 wolf that someone can have for free if they want to pick it up.I am not too far from the 29 Palms marine base or Palm Springs(right about in the middle of the two)PM me to arrange pick up

PanzerAce
02-26-2007, 10:14 PM
Personally, I wont be shooting wolf through my AR. though part of that is that I plan on reloading my brass, so the overall cost will be better for cleaner, more accurate stuff.

alpha_romeo_XV
02-27-2007, 8:07 AM
I think a guns ammo tolerance has a lot to do with the chamber dimensions cut into the barrel. Even though both are 5.56 NATO, I'm sure the chamber of an M249 SAW is intentionally cut looser than that for a CMP match barrel by the manufacturer to avoid jams during rapid cycling. Cheap barrels just aren't cut to exact tolerances by some manufacturers, because well its easier to be sloppy. Also the tolerances of good Lapua brass are much tighter than Wolf regardless that its steel. If you have a match barrel, presumabley you wanted it, and you definitely need good ammo. If you bought a run of the mill barrel then it may feed Wolf OK. Accuracy is another issue.

SigShooter
02-27-2007, 8:26 AM
I do not believe wolf to be corrosive at all... in fact:
WOLF Centerfire Rifle Ammunition is 100% non-corrosive and features a boat tailed projectile design for maximum down range energy retention and improved accuracy.

My thoughts on Wolf from a previous post.

The main thing to remember when shooting Wolf (steel cased) ammo, is CLEAN your rifle before switching to brass cased ammo. Especially the chamber.

It has been my experience that the steel cases do not expand enough and allow carbon buildup in the breach. When switching over to brass, which will expand further, they will expand around any built up carbon and get stuck.

I had this happen a few times until I learned what was causing this, ever since Wolf is a valid plinking option. I just make sure to clean as soon as possible.

As for the accuracy, well you get what you pay for. You are not going to win any matches with Wolf, but any cans, melons, clays that have threatened you or your family will be sorry. I think the best grouping I have gotten with Wolf was around 5-6" at 100 yards, generally I get a nice 6" group for 5 rounds then the rest seem to open out to 8" or so.

I will continue to use Wolf when plinking or when there is no "money on the line". It's cheap, consistent and accurate enough for what I use it for. Just match the ammo to your application.

biochembruin
02-27-2007, 9:29 AM
I won't shoot wolf anymore after I had a case head seperation with their .308,so if anybody wants I have around 120 rounds of loose .223 wolf that someone can have for free if they want to pick it up.I am not too far from the 29 Palms marine base or Palm Springs(right about in the middle of the two)PM me to arrange pick up

pm sent.

guess i should bite the bullet and give it a try. if it feeds, could be a good plinking alternative.

50 Freak
02-27-2007, 9:47 AM
I've put literally thousands and of rounds through my AR with wolf.

Very dirty ammo and you definitly won't get match grade accuracy. But safe reliable ammo. Good for plinking...and that is all it's good for.

indetrucks
02-27-2007, 10:12 AM
Sounds like a good cleaning will be needed when using Wolf..

Viper49
02-27-2007, 7:34 PM
Thanks you all. I think I might just give it a try. I see them at the Crossroad gun show at $150.00 to a thousand per case. Bad case just use it on my Mini 14.