PDA

View Full Version : Pellet/BB Gun Supressor legal?

ARRRR-15
02-26-2007, 6:16 PM
I was wondering is a pellet or bb gun supressor would be legal. I guess if it's
.177 cal it wouldn't be because you could use it on the rimfire round,right?

JPglee1
02-26-2007, 6:18 PM
No, it wouldn't be legal.

Technically paintball gun suppressors are illegal. A piece of inner tube would be illegal. The law specifies any measureable reduction in decibel thats attached to the gun...

J

slick_711
02-26-2007, 6:23 PM
How loud is your pellet gun? :confused: :confused:

Tweak338
02-26-2007, 6:32 PM

Technically paintball gun suppressors are illegal. A piece of inner tube would be illegal. The law specifies any measureable reduction in decibel thats attached to the gun...

J
Oops
guess i committed a felony when i was 16 then.. i madea silencer for my red ryder. the lady that lived next door used to complain about me shooting cans.

wilit
02-26-2007, 6:36 PM

J

But doesn't the law only apply to decibel reduction of firearms? Is a BB/Pellet gun a firearm?

Weird, I was just thinking about this the other day too.

JPglee1
02-26-2007, 6:40 PM
But doesn't the law only apply to decibel reduction of firearms? Is a BB/Pellet gun a firearm?

Weird, I was just thinking about this the other day too.

Thats not the problem, the problem is you could take it off the .177 caliber BB gun and put it on a .17 caliber firearm and it could conceiveably reduce the sound...

IF you could figure out some way to attach it and make it work where it wouldn't go on a firearm it might be legal...the problem is the ATF and their interpretations.

J

Fjold
02-26-2007, 6:41 PM
BB guns and pellet guns are not firearms as a matter of fact blackpowder muzzle loaders are not either. that's why you can order them through the mail and get them delivered to your house without using an FFL dealer.

I don't know what wording the feds use in regulating "silencers" (or suppressors) so you would have to look at that.

JPglee1
02-26-2007, 6:47 PM
BB guns and pellet guns are not firearms, as a matter of fact black powder muzzle loaders are not either. that's why you can order them through the mail and get them delivered to your house without usinf an FFL dealer.

I don't know what wording the feds use in regulating "silencers" (or suppressors) so you would have to look at that.

Not trying to be a know it all but Ive researched this in depth for paint ball markers...

Anyway the actual device, attached to the pellet rifle would be legal under the law...the problem is Mr. ATF agent will slap that thing onto a .17 caliber rifle with some duct tape, reduce the report 3-4 decibels and send you up the creek for 10 years...

Doesn't sound worth the effort to me, lol... also Cali has I believe a 6yr sentence for suppressors.

J

M. Sage
02-26-2007, 7:15 PM
Not trying to be a know it all but Ive researched this in depth for paint ball markers...

Anyway the actual device, attached to the pellet rifle would be legal under the law...the problem is Mr. ATF agent will slap that thing onto a .17 caliber rifle with some duct tape, reduce the report 3-4 decibels and send you up the creek for 10 years...

Doesn't sound worth the effort to me, lol... also Cali has I believe a 6yr sentence for suppressors.

J

As someone who used to be very into paintball (too scared to hurt my back again lately), I can tell you he's right. I remember when the paintball gun "silencers" went off the market and they went to permanently-attached suppressors on the barrel assemblies, just for that reason. All it takes is a reduction in noise, I've heard 1 decibel is enough, and it's a firearm silencer.

It's ridiculous, since there aren't many .68 cal firearms I can think of, and that foam-filled plastic is gonna explode after one or two shots, but they only care about one shot, and ANY noise reduction.

Side note: it turns out they weren't worth the trouble anyway. The right paintball gun design with the right barrel porting winds up being next to silent anyway.

ARRRR-15
02-26-2007, 7:40 PM
How loud is your pellet gun? :confused: :confused:

It's a Co2 pistol and can be kinda loud shooting in the garage. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=50295

Not too bad, but I don't want the cops called on me for that. Though in that case I'd laugh(or not) and say I was using my nail gun.:D

What if it was a slip fit for a specific gun and pinned/glued on? I don't think it needs to be threaded to work on a Co2 gun.

shinigami
02-26-2007, 7:53 PM
I used to have a fake suppressor for my M4 airsoft, where you can just thread it on the barrel. Was that illegal?

ARRRR-15
02-26-2007, 7:58 PM
I used to have a fake suppressor for my M4 airsoft, where you can just thread it on the barrel. Was that illegal?

Fake cans are ok threaded or not. As long as they can't lower the decibels.

JPglee1
02-26-2007, 8:00 PM
What if it was a slip fit for a specific gun and pinned/glued on? I don't think it needs to be threaded to work on a Co2 gun.

Is it worth a potential 10yrs and $250,000 bucks?

Im not trying to be "fatalistic" but just be careful.

Why not put a stereo out in the garage...turn it on, turn it up a little every couple days until you can hear it and its "normal"

then when you shoot the pellet gun into an appropriate backstop (a large cardboard box with carpet strips and cardboard dividers) toward the garage firewall so any strays get caught by drywall and don't go outside.

Don't shoot when anyone will be behind the wall obviously (I gotta say it so someone doesnt go do it tonite and blame me)

http://www.class3weapons.com/class_3_faq_class_3_weapons.html

Here's a link for you..you gotta do the whole series of steps to own one in the 35 states you can own one. Unfortunately california does not allow them to civilians, so if one of the DAs (say the cops come and you DO have the silencer on..)decides its a silencer, you can get 6 years here just for that... If they go federal it would be 10yrs..

Be educated and good luck.

JP

ARRRR-15
02-26-2007, 8:05 PM
Is it worth a potential 10yrs and $250,000 bucks?

Im not trying to be "fatalistic" but just be careful.

Why not put a stereo out in the garage...turn it on, turn it up a little every couple days until you can hear it and its "normal"

then when you shoot the pellet gun into an appropriate backstop (a large cardboard box with carpet strips and cardboard dividers) toward the garage firewall so any strays get caught by drywall and don't go outside.

Don't shoot when anyone will be behind the wall obviously (I gotta say it so someone doesnt go do it tonite and blame me)

http://www.class3weapons.com/class_3_faq_class_3_weapons.html

Here's a link for you..you gotta do the whole series of steps to own one in the 35 states you can own one. Unfortunately california does not allow them to civilians, so if one of the DAs (say the cops come and you DO have the silencer on..)decides its a silencer, you can get 6 years here just for that... If they go federal it would be 10yrs..

Be educated and good luck.

JP

I hear ya. I'll look into it a little more. In the mean time I got a Slayer CD I could put to good use(no I'm not going to shoot it. why would you even think that?):eek: :D