PDA

View Full Version : Survivorman Returns! All new!

TrailerparkTrash
11-24-2011, 10:17 PM
Just saw on the internet that Les Stroud is returning to his show! This time around however, he is going to locations all alone for 10 DAY excursions! Should be very entertaining!!! (Besides "The Walking Dead" and "Hell on Wheels"). :D :D :D

http://lesstroud.ca/news/survivorman-returns

freonr22
11-24-2011, 10:19 PM
One of his last shows, he had some tribal drink ? At the end and he was tripping like on LSD. I like his show

thenodnarb
11-24-2011, 10:29 PM
I like les stroud, and I know he is more real than some other survival shows, but sometimes he does things that are just downright stupid. Like trying to light a fire by pulling the bullet from a rifle and firing it down the barrel like a blank in the attempt to light it from the muzzle flash. "HEY LES! pour the powder on the tinder and light the powder with the sun and the scope maybe! or hold the casing up to the powder and hit the primer with your multi-tool that you never go without. You wasted 20 rounds trying it the stupid way man!"
EzwKnyDR5KA

TrailerparkTrash
11-25-2011, 3:10 AM
I like les stroud, and I know he is more real than some other survival shows, but sometimes he does things that are just downright stupid. Like trying to light a fire by pulling the bullet from a rifle and firing it down the barrel like a blank in the attempt to light it from the muzzle flash. "HEY LES! pour the powder on the tinder and light the powder with the sun and the scope maybe! or hold the casing up to the powder and hit the primer with your multi-tool that you never go without. You wasted 20 rounds trying it the stupid way man!"EzwKnyDR5KA
But.... This is why "Survivorman" is more of the "real-deal" when it comes to these reality shows. He really is out there by himself with no technical support, trying things without anyone there to tell him the "correct" way of doing something. Case in point, lighting a fire with a bullet. Unlike Bear Grills who has an individual camera man or two...... medical team and experts at climbing, rafting, fire/shelter making, hunting, etc... Stroud does his show through genuine "trial & error" for probably 98% of the time (if I had to guess).

Les Stroud, yes he has had some "back up" team for him, however, they are NOT around Stroud 24/7 during filming. In fact, they don't check on Stroud unless he calls them for "911" stuff. I've only seen that happen twice for Les Stroud. The first time was when he was in a raft out in the middle of the Pacific ocean. It was over 100F and dead calm water. His crew came back to his raft and insisted on getting him out of there due to a horrific impending storm that was on the horizon.

The second time I saw Les Stroud get "rescued," was when he called for help for his standby team (which was about 3-5 miles away IIRC), to come and get him due to him being on the verge of heat stroke! It was like 115F in some hot desert (Africa IIRC) and he had zero water. Again, for the sake of TV and not being a "real" life & death situation that he got into by accident, that was a good call for him seeking his team.

Les kicks azz in this field of TV "survivalists."

jtv3062
11-25-2011, 1:08 PM
Just saw on the internet that Les Stroud is returning to his show! This time around however, he is going to locations all alone for 10 DAY excursions! Should be very entertaining!!! (Besides "The Walking Dead" and "Hell on Wheels"). :D :D :D

http://lesstroud.ca/news/survivorman-returns

I thought Les always went out on his own, that's why I always liked his show.

So I just visited his site I guess he's going to stay out longer than previously on his last show.

thenodnarb
11-25-2011, 7:05 PM
But.... This is why "Survivorman" is more of the "real-deal" when it comes to these reality shows. He really is out there by himself with no technical support, trying things without anyone there to tell him the "correct" way of doing something. Case in point, lighting a fire with a bullet. Unlike Bear Grills who has an individual camera man or two...... medical team and experts at climbing, rafting, fire/shelter making, hunting, etc... Stroud does his show through genuine "trial & error" for probably 98% of the time (if I had to guess).

Les Stroud, yes he has had some "back up" team for him, however, they are NOT around Stroud 24/7 during filming. In fact, they don't check on Stroud unless he calls them for "911" stuff. I've only seen that happen twice for Les Stroud. The first time was when he was in a raft out in the middle of the Pacific ocean. It was over 100F and dead calm water. His crew came back to his raft and insisted on getting him out of there due to a horrific impending storm that was on the horizon.

The second time I saw Les Stroud get "rescued," was when he called for help for his standby team (which was about 3-5 miles away IIRC), to come and get him due to him being on the verge of heat stroke! It was like 115F in some hot desert (Africa IIRC) and he had zero water. Again, for the sake of TV and not being a "real" life & death situation that he got into by accident, that was a good call for him seeking his team.

Les kicks azz in this field of TV "survivalists."

Hardcore or "doing it for real" doesn't equal smart,good information, and certainly not entertaining.
The first episode I watched of his I laughed my *** off hysterically when he was afraid of the javalinas, or as he called them "peccaries." That smacked of absolutely no familiarity with them and therefore the desert in general. Les knows just enough to be dangerous. For another example, in his final episode he drank from a stream in the rain forest without any attempt at purification. He said something to the effect of "people think you can't drink from streams, but often times you can." He had diarrhea the rest of the episode and had to call it quits early.

I watched his show on building a homestead in the wilderness. the test was to see if an ordinary family could start a offgrid homestead themselves. Well long story short, he had a construction crew build some of his cabins, a helicopter fly in the materials and he still failed to finish the thing before winter. He also failed at digging a well which he attempted to do with a back hoe.

The love affair people have with Stroud is silly. The only thing that people point to is "he goes in alone without a camera crew. he could DIE man! That guy is hardcore!"

What....ever

TrailerparkTrash
11-25-2011, 10:13 PM
Hardcore or "doing it for real" doesn't equal smart,good information, and certainly not entertaining.
The first episode I watched of his I laughed my *** off hysterically when he was afraid of the javalinas, or as he called them "peccaries." That smacked of absolutely no familiarity with them and therefore the desert in general. Les knows just enough to be dangerous. For another example, in his final episode he drank from a stream in the rain forest without any attempt at purification. He said something to the effect of "people think you can't drink from streams, but often times you can." He had diarrhea the rest of the episode and had to call it quits early.

I watched his show on building a homestead in the wilderness. the test was to see if an ordinary family could start a offgrid homestead themselves. Well long story short, he had a construction crew build some of his cabins, a helicopter fly in the materials and he still failed to finish the thing before winter. He also failed at digging a well which he attempted to do with a back hoe.

The love affair people have with Stroud is silly. The only thing that people point to is "he goes in alone without a camera crew. he could DIE man! That guy is hardcore!"

What....ever
I think you're just mad that you didn't think of doing a similar show that became a success. Notice that I originally said the show is "entertaining," not FACT or DEFINITIVE when it comes to survivial.

Also, he's doing things as you've mentioned that the average "joe" would probably do because most lack any type of formal survival training. Yes, some of his stuff is probably not wise, but he's showing that one can and DOES survive under some pretty bad conditions.

sholling
11-25-2011, 10:29 PM
I like his show a lot. No the information isn't perfect but it's a good show.

skyscraper
11-25-2011, 11:35 PM
Since its all hollywood, I prefer grylls.

thenodnarb
11-25-2011, 11:44 PM
I think you're just mad that you didn't think of doing a similar show that became a success.

O please. :rolleyes:

I just can't stand the Les Stroud worship. I like him well enough.
I wish that someone would make a survival show where the host is actually PREPARED for something. Yeah it would probably be boring, but I'd still like to see it. Either that or a show that shows two scenarios: 1 guy who didn't prepare and another who did. The unprepared guy has to build his shelter, start a fire from nothing, and self rescue. The prepared guy whips out his tent, lights a fire from his ample supple of matches/lighters/fire steel, and pushes a button on his SPOT and is rescued by search and rescue. You could still have lots of variations with different circumstances. Some of the gear is damaged or lost in certain scenarios, and someone explains what could be done better to avoid those circumstances.
Not only that, but I hate the shows that don't have cameramen. Bear Grylls and Man Woman Wild are much more entertaining to watch largely because you can see what the hosts are doing from a 3rd perspective. Les Stoud's style is more like a video blog, and he doesn't catch everything that happens. Occasionally things happen when the tape isn't rolling and you don't get to see the sudden situations that might arise.
Really what is the value of his show? Bad information 1/2 the time, poor videography, and he doesn't even self rescue. He just has to sit it out a few days wherever he is going and wait for the time to be up. What if help wasn't coming in a real life scenario? How about learning how to get back to civilization? How to leave signs for rescuers who might be looking for you? But whatever, some people will continue to man-crush on him as long as he does it alone without a safety net. That's really the only thing going for him. I'll let you get back to your worship now.

:King:

TrailerparkTrash
11-26-2011, 2:22 AM
O please. :rolleyes:

I just can't stand the Les Stroud worship. I like him well enough.
I wish that someone would make a survival show where the host is actually PREPARED for something. Yeah it would probably be boring, but I'd still like to see it. Either that or a show that shows two scenarios: 1 guy who didn't prepare and another who did. The unprepared guy has to build his shelter, start a fire from nothing, and self rescue. The prepared guy whips out his tent, lights a fire from his ample supple of matches/lighters/fire steel, and pushes a button on his SPOT and is rescued by search and rescue. You could still have lots of variations with different circumstances. Some of the gear is damaged or lost in certain scenarios, and someone explains what could be done better to avoid those circumstances.
Not only that, but I hate the shows that don't have cameramen. Bear Grylls and Man Woman Wild are much more entertaining to watch largely because you can see what the hosts are doing from a 3rd perspective. Les Stoud's style is more like a video blog, and he doesn't catch everything that happens. Occasionally things happen when the tape isn't rolling and you don't get to see the sudden situations that might arise.
Really what is the value of his show? Bad information 1/2 the time, poor videography, and he doesn't even self rescue. He just has to sit it out a few days wherever he is going and wait for the time to be up. What if help wasn't coming in a real life scenario? How about learning how to get back to civilization? How to leave signs for rescuers who might be looking for you? But whatever, some people will continue to man-crush on him as long as he does it alone without a safety net. That's really the only thing going for him. I'll let you get back to your worship now.

:King:
Don't be a hater. :p

Sanderhawk
11-26-2011, 6:12 AM
I`m glad hes coming back. I liked the shows and I learned / got alot of great ideas from his show.

ns3v3n
11-26-2011, 8:28 PM
OH yeah man, he's one of my favorite. Did it have a date on when the show will be aired?

Res
11-26-2011, 9:13 PM
I never liked Survivor Man.

Until I saw the episode where he accidentally burned down his shelter because he put his fire too close. I realized he was just a guy, and makes mistakes like any of us could of done.

chris
11-27-2011, 8:23 AM
I like his show a lot. No the information isn't perfect but it's a good show.

exactly. i like all the shows there is good info in all of them.

glockman19
11-27-2011, 9:23 AM
What I learn from these shows is PREPERATION is the key.
Great to see what works and what doesn't.

SoCal Gunner
11-27-2011, 6:45 PM
Back on topic... When do the new shows air???