PDA

View Full Version : Brown vs. Graffunder

bug_eyedmonster
11-24-2011, 9:49 PM
Hello Calgunners,

After doing some research, and talking things over with the boss (my girlfriend), we've decided to bite the bullet and consider buying a Brown or a Graffunder safe. I'm tired of reading nothing but bad things about Liberty, AMSEC, Browning, Ft. Knox, etc. At this point, I want my safe to be handed down to my kids, and I want to ensure the contents are as safe as I can make them. If you have any input on either of thee brands, please post up your thoughts. Thanks in advance!

Jerry

canative
11-24-2011, 10:54 PM
I bought my safe from them about 10 years ago. I had a good experience with them, no complaints. Don't know if they price match or not though. I picked it up with my truck, they slid it into my bed and took it home and had my brothers help me. Wasn't that hard. I like their lifetime guarantee. If their is a fire or someone breaks in and it gets damaged they will repair it or if it is beyond repair they will replace it.

bug_eyedmonster
11-25-2011, 1:39 AM
Canative, sorry, but it looks like I'm moving to a different brand, thanks for your input though!

Jerry

pdq_wizzard
11-25-2011, 5:55 AM
if I had that $$ this is the safe I would get http://www.sturdysafe.com/

esskay
11-25-2011, 2:52 PM
I don't think I've ever heard anything bad about Brown or Graffunder! I would hope so, given how much they charge!! ;)

pdq_wizzard
11-25-2011, 3:01 PM
I don't like the fact you have to have the Graffunder serviced every year for the safe to stay under warranty.

bug_eyedmonster
11-25-2011, 4:22 PM
pdq wizzard,

I was not aware of the servicing part of their safes, thank you for pointing that out. I'm not really looking at the Sturdy safes, they seem to be only marginally better than the fancier looking Liberty and AMSECs out there. I'm looking for something with a B series rating or higher.

Jerry

esskay
11-25-2011, 4:55 PM
BTW, at these price points you could also look into commercial TL-15 and TL-30 security safes (either composite if you desire fire protection or plate safes if you don't). You'd have to build out the interior yourself though.

pdq_wizzard
11-25-2011, 5:02 PM
I would still give Sturdy a call, if that's what you are looking for I bet they will build it for you. (Nice thing about a family owned comp.)

by the way I don't work for them and can afford one, but if I could after talking to them I would have one today.

Librarian
11-25-2011, 8:03 PM
I'm curious to learn what bad reviews you have on AMSEC: I have a TL-15 model and I am quite satisfied.

bug_eyedmonster
11-25-2011, 10:46 PM
I'm curious to learn what bad reviews you have on AMSEC: I have a TL-15 model and I am quite satisfied.

That's just the thing, the best safe they offer new is the BF series, which is no longer rated nearly as high. I've heard nothing but good things, and was going to get a lightly used safe from them, but the deal fell through. This is why I'm stuck looking for something that is no longer offered. I thought that I'd just get a Liberty, but have heard many bad things about them on THR and various other forums. There aren't things "wrong" with certain brands out there, they just aren't what the manufacturers say they are anymore. The UL RSC rating to me, seems like a joke. I would never trust a "safe" to hold most if not all of my valuables to only be rated for 5 minutes. I'd like to at least make it worthwhile, if I get my safe broken into, I want to know they guy(s) worked for it! =) When I was at a friend's house not too long ago, he had a AMSEC safe and it had a fresh dent above the door. I asked him how he got it, and he said a half full ammo can he was trying to put on top of the safe for a minute was slipping from his hand, and left a DENT/scratch.

I'm not going to say what I'm going to have in the safe other than guns, but I just can't bring myself to spending $3500ish on a safe in the size I was looking for, and potentially have someone break into my home, take five minutes, and clean it out. I want whatever safe I buy to last me a lifetime, if not longer. I'm willing to spend the money and time to get something vastly better than what I have for that extra security. Nothing against everyone who does have one of the RSCs, I'd just rather spend more money once, and never think about it again. =)

Jerry

bug_eyedmonster
11-25-2011, 10:52 PM
I take some of that back, just to make sure my foot did not go too far down my throat, I jumped on the AMSEC website. Apparently the AMSEC dealer in Hayward gave me wrong info, and I did not try to research it further. AMSEC is back on my list of safes to shop for, I'll be calling them Monday. =)

Jerry

kermitz
11-25-2011, 11:03 PM
The cheapest Graffunder i've seen was over $5K.

bug_eyedmonster
11-25-2011, 11:21 PM
I agree, but with the price of steel and sheer weight, it's worth it to me. I'm just not finding a whole lot of info on these two brands, and wanted to see if there was others that could shed some light. Even when you go on youtube, all you see are videos from various safe manufactures, with guys dancing around with pry bars pretending to get into them. I talked to a locksmith that works with safes all the time. He mentioned to me that these things aren't going to stop someone who really wants to get in, it's just a matter of time. If a safe that's got a overall weight of 1400 pounds and is the same size as another safe that's weighing in at 3000 pounds, I'm going for the heavier one.

Jerry

WWDHD?
11-26-2011, 10:40 AM
I have a Sturdy and like it very much. But I also realize that its way more function than form but that ok for me and my budget. If I had the money I'd get the AMSEC BF series. I like the two steel layers with cement fill in between idea. Its a good fire break and makes it hard to drill or cut into it. I've read experts say its one of the best all around RSCs you can get until you get into real safes. The guys at that safe store in Hayward off Industrial are very nice and can get any AMSEC you want and deliver/install it for you too.
Did you look at the Liberty President Series safe? That thing is spectacular. Good luck.

TheSafeMover
12-01-2011, 3:04 PM
Have you taken a look at the RF6528 by Amsec or there HS Series? The HS series has 1" plate body and 1" plate door. Its TL-15 rated. 2 hour fire rating. Standard with a Group 2M lock, so it has manipulation resistance. For the money you wont get a safe that has more steel. HS7943 6840pds :shock: I delivered one a few months ago and wow they are heavy. Graffunder and Brown both make amazing safes though. I particuarly like the Graffunder because of the tight tolerances. If you look at the seam between there door and door frame its so tight you cant get a credit card in it. They are pricey. Take a look at the HS series by Amsec, its a extremly secure safe.

bug_eyedmonster
12-12-2011, 2:41 AM
Have you taken a look at the RF6528 by Amsec or there HS Series? The HS series has 1" plate body and 1" plate door. Its TL-15 rated. 2 hour fire rating. Standard with a Group 2M lock, so it has manipulation resistance. For the money you wont get a safe that has more steel. HS7943 6840pds :shock: I delivered one a few months ago and wow they are heavy. Graffunder and Brown both make amazing safes though. I particuarly like the Graffunder because of the tight tolerances. If you look at the seam between there door and door frame its so tight you cant get a credit card in it. They are pricey. Take a look at the HS series by Amsec, its a extremly secure safe.

I was interested in this safe, but was a bit worried about their locks and overall build quality. Any more input as a professional on these safes from AmSec?

Jerry

Casual_Shooter
12-12-2011, 7:01 AM
I don't like the fact you have to have the Graffunder serviced every year for the safe to stay under warranty.

If I remember correctly, you only have to have the Graffunder serviced at the one year mark and then every 5 years after that to stay under warranty.

EDIT: Limited Lifetime Warranty

All Graffunder fire and burglar resistive safes are warranted for the life of the original owner to be free from malfunctions and/or manufacturing defects. Exterior paint finishes are warranted for two years. Warranty coverage for locks is two years.

Such warranty does not cover malfunctions due to conditions beyond our control: conditions such as improper use or care of the unit. Warranty applies solely to materials and manufacture.

In order for warranty to stay in effect, Sage Safe Co.,LLC requires service be performed by a reputable safe technician. After the end of the first year of ownership, an initial service is required. Thereafter, commercial owners shall have their products serviced once a year and residential owners once every five years. Proof of maintenance service must be provided at the time warranty work is requested.

Hot Brass
12-25-2011, 6:04 PM
Bugeyed good luck. I love what you are doing. Bravo.

discoed
12-26-2011, 1:16 PM
Ok. AMSEC seems to be what everyone suggest. I'm looking at safes around the $3k range. Currently debating between the AMSEC BF6636 and the Browning Medallion M39F. Why is it that nobody suggest the Browning safes? Is AMSEC really that much of a better safe than anything out there at this price range? Please help me out.

Old4eyes
12-31-2011, 1:41 PM
I debated between Amsec and Sturdy, went with Sturdy. I ordered with additional steel installed in the sides and a stainless steel plate over the lock box. It is still a residential security container and I have no illusion that it is a true safe.

bug_eyedmonster
01-04-2012, 12:03 AM
Ok. AMSEC seems to be what everyone suggest. I'm looking at safes around the $3k range. Currently debating between the AMSEC BF6636 and the Browning Medallion M39F. Why is it that nobody suggest the Browning safes? Is AMSEC really that much of a better safe than anything out there at this price range? Please help me out.

I'm glad you brought these two up. I currently have the Browning M39F. Here's why I'm giving it away.

1. It's too small
2. The interior is literally falling apart
3. It did not come with lights, so I had to ghetto-rig some in
4. Worst of all... IT'S DENTED. You are probably thinking "who cares about a few dents?" The dents aren't the problem. The problem is my safe, which holds an undisclosed amount of valuables, was dented by daily stuff like the vacuum, a big raw hide thing for my dog, and moving stuff around it.

I looked at the AMSEC BF series as well. The reason why I'm passing it up is because when I swung the door open at the local safe store, I wanted to see what the sales person would do. I know, this is an *****hole thing to do, and I put my foot there to make sure there wasn't any contact if he missed what I was doing, but I wanted to see how he would react. After telling him what I was looking for, he brought me to the BF series safes. When I asked if they were strong, and would keep my junk safe, he said yes. I asked if it was unlocked. WHen he said yes, I grabbed it and swung the door open. When he jumped to stop it, I said sorry. He instantly said "be careful, if break it, you buy it" with a smile. Then I asked if it happens often. He said yes, the safes get dented all the time. This is why I grabbed my girlfriend and walked out the door.

At the time, I was never shown or even had the HS series safes mentioned, which is why I assumed they no longer offered them. But after speaking to someone else, I found out that they were. The only problem is, no one has them in stock, and I'm not willing to spend that kind of money without seeing what I'm getting.

Jerry

bug_eyedmonster
01-04-2012, 12:04 AM
Bugeyed good luck. I love what you are doing. Bravo.

thanks!

Casual_Shooter
01-04-2012, 6:45 AM
Perhaps when you swung the door open they were worried about the safe tipping? Doors on some of these safes are very heavy.

TheSafeMover
01-04-2012, 4:57 PM
As regards the locks, Amsec makes there own line of locks, dial and electric. I have never seen and issues with them whatsoever, but if your more comfortable you can order any amsec with a S&G dial lock, including a Group 1 which is impossible to manipulate.
Overall build quality with amsec is excellent, I have been to several safe factories, amsec, browning, liberty, champion, graffunder, and amsec has not only the largest facility but one of the best run. They have been building safes since 1946 so I'd say 66 years is enough to work out the bugs. lol.
Just what gets me everytime is they are the only gun safe manufactuer that the commercial industry uses. Will you ever see a Browning in a Bank of America? Nope. But you'll see an amsec. The commercial industry has way higher demands than the regular consumer so they are used to building heavy duty, and there gun safes are built in the safe facility as there commercial line, Except the TF series

I was interested in this safe, but was a bit worried about their locks and overall build quality. Any more input as a professional on these safes from AmSec?

Jerry

bug_eyedmonster
01-06-2012, 2:40 AM
As regards the locks, Amsec makes there own line of locks, dial and electric. I have never seen and issues with them whatsoever, but if your more comfortable you can order any amsec with a S&G dial lock, including a Group 1 which is impossible to manipulate.
Overall build quality with amsec is excellent, I have been to several safe factories, amsec, browning, liberty, champion, graffunder, and amsec has not only the largest facility but one of the best run. They have been building safes since 1946 so I'd say 66 years is enough to work out the bugs. lol.
Just what gets me everytime is they are the only gun safe manufactuer that the commercial industry uses. Will you ever see a Browning in a Bank of America? Nope. But you'll see an amsec. The commercial industry has way higher demands than the regular consumer so they are used to building heavy duty, and there gun safes are built in the safe facility as there commercial line, Except the TF series

Have you seen any problems with their interiors? The shelves in the Browning I currently have are sagging... it's cheaper than Ikea stuff I've seen. To get the interior size I was hoping for, because of the thickness fo these safes, I have to go with a larger model. This is a little more difficult than I thought it would be. =(

Jerry

ronas
01-06-2012, 5:20 AM
I ordered an AMSEC RF6528. As far as I could tell it was the only real gun safe ANSEC sells. This safe has TL-30 rating.

bug_eyedmonster
01-14-2012, 2:37 AM
I ordered an AMSEC RF6528. As far as I could tell it was the only real gun safe ANSEC sells. This safe has TL-30 rating.

Please let me know how this goes... at this rate, my girlfriend said if I dont make a choice soon, I have to start selling off guns. =(

Jerry

WWDHD?
01-14-2012, 1:03 PM
Never heard of an RF series. I'll have to look that one up. Hope you like it.

Librarian
01-14-2012, 2:50 PM
http://www.amsecusa.com/Gun_Safes/HS_Series_Gun_Safes/

I have one; I like it.

sunwelding
01-19-2012, 2:15 PM
Our safes are 100% American made in our shop located in Southern California and have been for the past 32 years.
you can visit our website to see our full product line www.sunweldingsafes.com or call me direct for pricing 805-584-6678

ronas
01-27-2012, 8:35 AM
Please let me know how this goes... at this rate, my girlfriend said if I dont make a choice soon, I have to start selling off guns. =(

Jerry

The safe is an AMSEC RF6528 and weights around 3,450 lbs. I have never seen an item packaged for protection as well is this safe was packaged. This safe has a TL-30 rating. The safe is even nicer than I though it would be.

If you want to buy a heavy safe and pick it up at truck terminal and move it yourself it can be done with very little drama. This move involved setting it up in my garage.

You can have it loaded on hydraulic drop deck trail, build some supporting wood structure around middle of safe and strap it down.

Once home you low deck of trailer onto garage floor. Then use a pallet jack to remove it from trailer. I used a choker strap around the middle of safe and then wrapped around a steel part on the truck so I could control descent of safe on pallet jack.

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/p1010477_copy1.jpg
http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/p1010478_copy1.jpg