PDA

View Full Version : What to build for 3rd OLL AR?

GeneralBacardi
02-26-2007, 5:17 PM
I'm working on 2 OLL builds, the first is a CMMG A2 upper, A2 stock, 20" bbl, and featureless (no flash hider, MonsterMan grip). The second is an LMT A3 upper with 16" M4 profile barrel, SOPMOD stock, feature-full but with Prince50 mag lock.

Trying to decide what to do for the third one. I was thinking maybe a "beater" AR, find the cheapest lower I can buy, get a Model 1 sales complete kit for $460 (i.e. the kit that includes everything but the stripped lower), and shoot Wolf ammo and drag it through the woods all day without worrying about thrashing it. I'm not into varmint hunting, so the 24" barrels don't excite me. Maybe an 18" barrel and midlength gas system to split the difference between the 16 and 20? Hmmm....

Teletiger7
02-26-2007, 5:39 PM
How about a .223 sniper rifle using an AR platform. Check out this info from wikipedia on a .223 sniper rifle(MSSR) that is capable of hits out to 800 meters

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MSSR_%28rifle%29

Beater AR is also a great idea. See how many rounds it can go without cleaning :)

permanent_45
02-26-2007, 5:44 PM
Go with a Del-ton kit. its a few $$$ more but I have a Del-ton upper and its great. I have not heard anything bad about DT but a few questionable things about M1. The mid length uppers are great.

by the way the link is bad

whatdyisit
02-26-2007, 6:03 PM
That MSSR looks pretty nice. Doing something along that line would give you something you don't already have.
An SPR build would also be change from what you already have.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Navy_Mark_12_Mod_X_Special_Purpose_R ifle
Go with a Spend a few bucks on a decent barrel and trigger and drive some tacks!!

Prc329
02-26-2007, 6:33 PM
I'm working on 2 OLL builds, the first is a CMMG A2 upper, A2 stock, 20" bbl, and featureless (no flash hider, MonsterMan grip). The second is an LMT A3 upper with 16" M4 profile barrel, SOPMOD stock, feature-full but with Prince50 mag lock.

Trying to decide what to do for the third one. I was thinking maybe a "beater" AR, find the cheapest lower I can buy, get a Model 1 sales complete kit for $460 (i.e. the kit that includes everything but the stripped lower), and shoot Wolf ammo and drag it through the woods all day without worrying about thrashing it. I'm not into varmint hunting, so the 24" barrels don't excite me. Maybe an 18" barrel and midlength gas system to split the difference between the 16 and 20? Hmmm....

Tried that but I ended up building a really nice rifle and wouldn't beat on it :)

18" is good. I have an 18 and its a great shooter.

Jicko
02-26-2007, 6:36 PM
Mark 12 Mod x SPR !!!

Or SAM-R

Or MSSR

(that's my order of preference)

Jedidiah
02-26-2007, 7:24 PM
Hey guys, I like the info on that special purpose rifle. I know this isn't my thread but I'm curious, what would be a good upper to start with if I wanted to build one of those? My first OLL that I pick up on Saturday is going to be a 16 incher. I knew the second one I built was gonna be a longer range AR and that special purpose rifle looks like it might fill the ticket.

Would any 18" upper do or do I need something else? I tried a search here but didnt find much.

DedEye
02-26-2007, 7:27 PM
I'd go for a feature filled tacticool carbine with a bullet button kit.

Sydwaiz
02-26-2007, 7:44 PM
Well, I'll tell you what I'm doing.
First one was a cheap beater rattle canned varmint rig on a Stag lower. 20" free floated bull barrel, flat top with a Bushnell scope, my own mag lock. It prints dime size groups at 100yds with BHBB 55gr SP.
Second and third arent built yet but I'm slowly aquiring parts now. One will be a 6.5 Grendel long range rig with a PRS stock and the other will be a .50 Beowulf carbine collapsible stock and all. And if we get the Calguns lowers going, I'll build a 6.8 SPR. All fixed mag builds so I can keep the PG.

Teletiger7
02-26-2007, 8:46 PM
The SPR gets it's accuracy from a specially built match grade free floating barrel. That is also specially contoured for better accuracy.

The MSSR style build gets it's accuracy from longer length DPMS match grade barrel. MSSR is the cheaper way to go, as I'm sure that barrel/upper combo is less expensive. SPR style build is gonna cost more but has the plus of being slightly more compact.

according to this MSSR build is capable of 1moa at 600 meters:http://www.snipercentral.com/mssr.htm

Hey guys, I like the info on that special purpose rifle. I know this isn't my thread but I'm curious, what would be a good upper to start with if I wanted to build one of those? My first OLL that I pick up on Saturday is going to be a 16 incher. I knew the second one I built was gonna be a longer range AR and that special purpose rifle looks like it might fill the ticket.

Would any 18" upper do or do I need something else? I tried a search here but didnt find much.

tenpercentfirearms
02-26-2007, 8:54 PM
If someone would make 10 round 9mm magazines, I would definitely vote for a 9mm build. I only have three uppers for my 9 lowers and one of them is a 9mm. I like it a lot.

Jicko
02-26-2007, 10:09 PM

You do need extensive tools if you want to build your own upper...

If you want a SPR ... just go to adcofirearms.com and they have a Mod 1-style upper assembly for about $1100.

Solidsnake87
02-26-2007, 10:30 PM
Make a precision rifle. You won't regret it. You can use your carbine and A2 for plinking but a precision ARs are too addictive. I plan on doing 2 more precision builds in the future since its a real blast to put em all through the same hole!