PDA

View Full Version : questions about AR

RobG
02-26-2007, 3:50 PM
I would like to jump on an AR platform gun before things get even worse here. I have looked at all the build-up type guns people have done here and am curious as to what makes them legal.

I looked at the BM Calif. legal gun but, wouldn't mind building my own for fun and as time/money allows.

This would be a plinker type gun and maybe some small critter shooting.

Which would be the better way to go?

Thanks,
Rob

thedrickel
02-26-2007, 4:02 PM
You need to read this:

http://calguns.net/a_california_arak.htm

That will answer all of your questions concerning the legality of "off list" semi-auto receivers and rifles, evil features and such. Some of the info is a little out of date (in terms of being overly cautious).

Vepr62
02-26-2007, 4:05 PM
Did you try "search" feature on this forum? There is a lot of info there. Read it, and then read some more, and then ask away. And let me warn you, that Black Rifle Disease is CONTEIJEOUS. Have fun.

anonymous
02-26-2007, 4:09 PM
I would like to jump on an AR platform gun before things get even worse here. I have looked at all the build-up type guns people have done here and am curious as to what makes them legal.

I looked at the BM Calif. legal gun but, wouldn't mind building my own for fun and as time/money allows.

This would be a plinker type gun and maybe some small critter shooting.

Which would be the better way to go?

Thanks,
Rob

Basically one thing: the Harrott v. County of Kings 2001 CA Supreme Court decision that nullified the "series" language which deemed that any gun that was only a minor variation of an AR-15 or AK-47 is also illegal.

SB-23 also outlaws guns with certain features like pistol grips if they have detachable magazines. Therefore, you have to go one step further and remove any prohibited features and/or replace them with non-banned features.

Also, other people point out that the law that defines a detachable magazine (the presence of which makes any of the prohibited features illegal) does not include tool activated magazines (as opposed to push button released). However, this may or may not be a more risky road to travel than simply removing all of the banned features and going with a regular magazine.

RobG
02-26-2007, 4:44 PM
Thanks. I think I am getting the idea now.

Rob

RobG
02-26-2007, 5:45 PM
Would a stripped reciever (unk brand right now) and the RRA complete CAR A4 .223 rifle kit be a good shooter? I figure since the RRA kit is complete it would be easier for the first timer.

Thanks, Rob

hoffmang
02-26-2007, 10:58 PM
I was noticing that kit last night and that would be a very good starter kit - especially with the RRA two stage trigger.

-Gene