PDA

View Full Version : Regulations regarding Safes

jrent
02-26-2007, 2:26 PM
Anyone up on the current requirements for safes in Orange County. I was just told I would need to bring in a receipt to prove that I bought a safe within the last 30 days in order to buy a handgun??

SemiAutoSam
02-26-2007, 2:28 PM
Your FFL should give you the opportunity to sign a safe affidavit and it will require the Make and model # of your safe.

If your FFL does not have the form you can DL it and print it out from the DOJ website.

Anyone up on the current requirements for safes in Orange County. I was just told I would need to bring in a receipt to prove that I bought a safe within the last 30 days in order to buy a handgun??

Librarian
02-26-2007, 2:56 PM
SAS is right; the 30-day thing is for a lock, if you don't have the safe and the affidavit.

You could bring the safe receipt, too, just so you have the info with you, but it isn't required.

rkt88edmo
02-26-2007, 4:26 PM
FYI, DOJ approved "Lockboxes" which do not qualify as "safes" do require receipts though.

mike100
02-26-2007, 4:35 PM
the safe affidavit and lock is a ca thing, but I believe the latest lock deal is from a new federal regulation-even if you have a safe. by an approved lock from somewhere that allows returns, then after..return it.

Mute
02-26-2007, 4:48 PM
I don't have a definitive answer, but when I picked up my rifle at Turners back in 9/06, they would only allow my to sign the safe affidavit. The DOJ approved lockbox was no longer acceptable. Don't know about handguns. Haven't bought one in awhile, but if memory serves me correctly, new federal regulation requires an approved gun lock.

The SoCal Gunner
02-26-2007, 6:40 PM
I don't have a definitive answer, but when I picked up my rifle at Turners back in 9/06, they would only allow my to sign the safe affidavit. The DOJ approved lockbox was no longer acceptable. Don't know about handguns. Haven't bought one in awhile, but if memory serves me correctly, new federal regulation requires an approved gun lock.

I thought the safe affidavit only applied to handguns? Either way I just DROS a PPT handgun and the FFL allowed me to sign the safe affidavit. Hopefully when I go to pick it up they won't say I need a lock also.

Librarian
02-26-2007, 6:52 PM
the safe affidavit and lock is a ca thing, but I believe the latest lock deal is from a new federal regulation-even if you have a safe. by an approved lock from somewhere that allows returns, then after..return it.BATF has managed to let this be screwed up for nearly a year, failing to file regulations.

The new fed law requires that "the transferee is provided with a secure gun storage or safety device" , and the law defines a safe as one thing that satisfies that requirement. BATF's memo on the new law, however, does not mention safes. See 18 USC 922(z) (http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=109_cong_public_laws&docid=f:publ092.109)

Cali4nia
02-26-2007, 7:55 PM
You could also just buy the stupid $7.99 lock that my dealer makes me buy. I really need to buy stock in the company that makes those things!

On a serious note, how do I know if a ceratin safe is OK in the eyes of DOJ? Do they have a list out there?

Librarian
02-26-2007, 8:03 PM
You could also just buy the stupid $7.99 lock that my dealer makes me buy. I really need to buy stock in the company that makes those things!

On a serious note, how do I know if a ceratin safe is OK in the eyes of DOJ? Do they have a list out there?Lock boxes (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/fsdcertlist.php)
and gunsafe standards
(http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/gunsafe.php)

zinfull
02-27-2007, 7:50 AM
Besides it against the law to sell a gun safe if it does not meet the requirements.

(a) No person shall keep for commercial sale, offer, or expose for commercial sale, or commercially sell any firearms safety device that is not listed on the roster maintained pursuant to subdivision (d) of Section 12088, or that does not comply with the standards for firearms safety devices adopted pursuant to Section 12088.2.
(b) No person may distribute as part of an organized firearm safety program, with or without consideration, any firearm safety device that is not listed on the roster maintained pursuant to subdivision (d) of Section 12088 or does not comply with the standards for firearms safety devices adopted pursuant to Section 12088.2.
(c) No long-gun safe may be manufactured in this state for sale in this state that does not comply with the standards for gun safes adopted pursuant to Section 12088.2, unless the long-gun safe is labeled by the manufacturer consistent with the requirements of Section 12088.1.
(d)(1) Any person who keeps for commercial sale, offers, or exposes for commercial sale, or who commercially sells a long-gun safe that does not comply with the standards for gun safes adopted pursuant to Section 12088.2, and who knows or has reason to know, that the long-gun safe in question does not meet the standards for gun safes adopted pursuant to Section 12088.2, is in violation of this section, and is punishable as provided in subdivision (e), unless the long-gun safe is labeled pursuant to Section 12088.1.
(2) Any person who keeps for commercial sale, offers, or exposes for commercial sale, or who commercially sells a long-gun safe that does not comply with the standards for gun safes adopted pursuant to Section 12088.2, and who removes or causes to be removed from the long-gun safe, the label required pursuant to Section 12088.1, is in violation of this section, and is punishable as provided in subdivision (e).
(e) A violation of this section is punishable by a civil fine of up to five hundred dollars ($500). A second violation of this section that occurs within five years of the date of a previous offense is punishable by a civil fine of up to one thousand dollars ($1,000) and, if the violation is committed by a licensed firearms dealer, the dealer shall be ineligible to sell firearms in this state for 30 days. A third or subsequent violation that occurs within five years of two or more previous offenses is punishable by a civil fine of up to five thousand dollars ($5,000) and, if the violation is committed by a licensed firearms dealer, the firearms dealer shall be permanently ineligible to sell firearms in this state.
(f) The Attorney General, a district attorney, or a city attorney may bring a civil action for a violation of the provisions of this section.

JPN6336
02-27-2007, 11:07 AM
So like the Stack-On metal gun cabinet that is on the list of safety devices doesn't count for the safe affidavit? I was thinking about getting one since it's only a little over $100 instead of nearly $1000. I may still get one even if it doesn't exempt me from buying a gun lock each time I buy a gun but it would be nice.

maxicon
02-27-2007, 11:21 AM
Another affordable option beside the Stack-on style is to buy a Gun Vault - http://www.gunvault.com/.

While it's not as flexible as a Stack-on, and is only a valid safety device for handguns, it's useful if you want something to lock your bedstand gun in. It doesn't matter how many can be stored in it - it's an approved safety device for handguns that will fit in it.

These guys have them for reasonable prices:
http://www.elitetacticalsources.com/gun_safes.htm

SemiAutoSam
02-27-2007, 11:49 AM
Here is a link that expands on this topic a bit more

http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/dwcl/12087.htm

Besides it against the law to sell a gun safe if it does not meet the requirements.

(a) No person shall keep for commercial sale, offer, or expose for commercial sale, or commercially sell any firearms safety device that is not listed on the roster maintained pursuant to subdivision (d) of Section 12088, or that does not comply with the standards for firearms safety devices adopted pursuant to Section 12088.2.
(b) No person may distribute as part of an organized firearm safety program, with or without consideration, any firearm safety device that is not listed on the roster maintained pursuant to subdivision (d) of Section 12088 or does not comply with the standards for firearms safety devices adopted pursuant to Section 12088.2.
(c) No long-gun safe may be manufactured in this state for sale in this state that does not comply with the standards for gun safes adopted pursuant to Section 12088.2, unless the long-gun safe is labeled by the manufacturer consistent with the requirements of Section 12088.1.
(d)(1) Any person who keeps for commercial sale, offers, or exposes for commercial sale, or who commercially sells a long-gun safe that does not comply with the standards for gun safes adopted pursuant to Section 12088.2, and who knows or has reason to know, that the long-gun safe in question does not meet the standards for gun safes adopted pursuant to Section 12088.2, is in violation of this section, and is punishable as provided in subdivision (e), unless the long-gun safe is labeled pursuant to Section 12088.1.
(2) Any person who keeps for commercial sale, offers, or exposes for commercial sale, or who commercially sells a long-gun safe that does not comply with the standards for gun safes adopted pursuant to Section 12088.2, and who removes or causes to be removed from the long-gun safe, the label required pursuant to Section 12088.1, is in violation of this section, and is punishable as provided in subdivision (e).
(e) A violation of this section is punishable by a civil fine of up to five hundred dollars ($500). A second violation of this section that occurs within five years of the date of a previous offense is punishable by a civil fine of up to one thousand dollars ($1,000) and, if the violation is committed by a licensed firearms dealer, the dealer shall be ineligible to sell firearms in this state for 30 days. A third or subsequent violation that occurs within five years of two or more previous offenses is punishable by a civil fine of up to five thousand dollars ($5,000) and, if the violation is committed by a licensed firearms dealer, the firearms dealer shall be permanently ineligible to sell firearms in this state.
(f) The Attorney General, a district attorney, or a city attorney may bring a civil action for a violation of the provisions of this section.

That sounds like a great product and its Cheap at 75.45 plus 10.00 shipping to the PRC.

The only drawback is its made overseas. I had wondered why these items came back into production as they were made in the USA back about 10 or so years ago I saw them at the Reno gun shows all the time and then they stopped selling them. Now Cannon safe is having them (I'm assuming) made in china.

Another affordable option beside the Stack-on style is to buy a Gun Vault - http://www.gunvault.com/.

While it's not as flexible as a Stack-on, and is only a valid safety device for handguns, it's useful if you want something to lock your bed stand gun in. It doesn't matter how many can be stored in it - it's an approved safety device for handguns that will fit in it.

These guys have them for reasonable prices:
http://www.elitetacticalsources.com/gun_safes.htm

maxicon
02-27-2007, 2:08 PM
That sounds like a great product and its Cheap at 75.45 plus 10.00 shipping to the PRC.

The only drawback is its made overseas. I had wondered why these items came back into production as they were made in the USA back about 10 or so years ago I saw them at the Reno gun shows all the time and then they stopped selling them. Now Cannon safe is having them (I'm assuming) made in china.

Yeah, I have 2 of them, in different areas. I like them because they're quick and easy to get into, and secure enough to keep things out of the hands of the kids' friends and such. It only takes me a few seconds to open one in the middle of the night from a dead sleep, though I have to practice fumbled code recovery, since you only get 3 tries.

My first is a few years old, and the second is a few months old, so one's from the original company, and the other from since Cannon bought them out. I didn't even look to see where either was made, but can check later.

There are a lot of things you just can't get anymore without getting them from China. My thought is that introducing capitalism to the Chinese masses is going to have a beneficial effect in the long run. China appears to be in the same place America was 100 years ago, in terms of worker migration - the rural peasants are flocking to the cities to industrialize, and are happy to be doing it. Yes, there are dangers and abuses (just like in America 100 years ago), but the lure of the bright lights and the bigger paychecks is a hard one to quell.

In any case, I've bought lots of stuff from Japan, Europe, and elsewhere - it's just how the world works these days. You can't buy everything Made In America (or maybe you could, but I don't have the cash flow for that).

aklon
02-27-2007, 2:30 PM

Not long ago, I bought a shotgun (870 police) from a friend and we DROS'd through a well known dealer in Pleasant Hill. In the course of picking it up, I was told to sign that "I have a safe" form. Now, I don't have a safe, and even if I did, I am not at all eager to give the state an excuse to barge into my home and look around - which is what you agree to if you sign that form. So, I declined the honor.

The guy behind the counter went non-linear, saying I was trying to put him out of business, if I don't care about the law he does, etc. etc. blah blah blah. After watching him go rat-house for a while I told my friend we'll go somewhere else and do this, besides I have tons of gun locks at home, and I don't need this flap.

It was right then the counter man decided he'd shot his yap quite enough, and as he calmed down he admitted all I have to do is bring in a "certified" trigger lock and the gun was mine. At that, I reached into my ditty bag, plonked a lock on the counter, and left with the shotgun and a negative review of this man's behavior.

(This was my third experience out there; two bad, one good, no reason to return for more.)

rmeyer
02-27-2007, 3:21 PM
I just ppt'd a revolver to a guy yesterday at the Turner's in Riverside. They made him purchase a lock even though the guy brought in a brand new 1 without a receipt. I asked about the safe affidavit and they said a new law applies to handguns. They said you had to either buy a lock or bring 1 in with a receipt showing you purchased it in the last 30 days. Safe affidavit only good for long guns now.

boogak
02-27-2007, 5:11 PM

either that or have a trigger lock or cable lock

hdcd
02-28-2007, 5:03 AM
I just ppt'd a revolver to a guy yesterday at the Turner's in Riverside. They made him purchase a lock even though the guy brought in a brand new 1 without a receipt. I asked about the safe affidavit and they said a new law applies to handguns. They said you had to either buy a lock or bring 1 in with a receipt showing you purchased it in the last 30 days. Safe affidavit only good for long guns now.

What brand revolver did he get? A lot of new guns come with the lock already in the box.

leelaw
02-28-2007, 8:12 AM
Now, I don't have a safe, and even if I did, I am not at all eager to give the state an excuse to barge into my home and look around - which is what you agree to if you sign that form. So, I declined the honor.

Uh... no.

JPN6336
02-28-2007, 10:11 AM
When I DROS'd my shotgun the pawn shop I did it at sold me the lock and then let me sell it back to them at full value.:)

jrent
02-28-2007, 11:22 AM
Guys... Thanks for all the information on a confusing subject. I had been considering another pistol purchase but began to re think it after lastest visit to my local gun shop. How I miss the old days when all you did was research the gun you were interested in and not the method of purchase!