PDA

View Full Version : place to fish in OC?

Cpl_Peters
02-26-2007, 7:21 AM
looking for places in or near Orange County to go fishing. I used to fish at Lake Mission Viejo but no longer live there and thus not a lake member. Any public spots other than the ocean in the area?

Rumpled
02-26-2007, 7:37 AM
Irvine Lake, Laguna Niguel, Santa Ana Lakes all pay.
Not sure what's going on with Oso Lake now.
During winters trout planted in Trabuco Creek and even some city/county parks Mason? Tric-City? Centennial Santa Ana?
You can check DFG's planting schedule somewhere.

hdcd
02-26-2007, 11:38 AM
Laguna Lake in Fullerton. :rolleyes:

Cpl_Peters
02-26-2007, 12:04 PM
Laguna Lake in Fullerton. :rolleyes:

Any more info on this place? It looks nice and its close. I found a small webpage about it online but it didnt say where exactly in fullerton it was. Since it is public I would need to have a fishing license right?

hung380
02-26-2007, 12:10 PM
go try lake laguna niguel, 17 dollars for entry fee but no liscense needed. check them out @ http://www.lagunaniguellake.com/
you might wanna try www.hookupsportfishing.com
they have all kind of fishing info you need including fish reports.
Damn this is my 100th post!! :D
Have fun fishing:)

maschronic
02-26-2007, 12:35 PM
i've fished irvine lake any times. if you want to catch trout, you have to rent a boat and troll using lead core. play with the colors. once you find the depth the trout is located, you will catch trout without much problems. just troll very slowly. tread a worm on the hook. give it about 15 feet lead and you should be good to go.

hdcd
02-26-2007, 1:22 PM
Any more info on this place? It looks nice and its close. I found a small webpage about it online but it didnt say where exactly in fullerton it was. Since it is public I would need to have a fishing license right?

Yes you do need a fishing license. Check out this link for directions:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=hermosa+and+harbor,+92835&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=47.704107,81.738281&ie=UTF8&z=16&om=1

They cleaned it all up just about a year or so ago. Nice and quiet upscale neighborhood. It's nice to just walk around the area.

Cpl_Peters
02-26-2007, 2:23 PM
oh wow, thanks for the map, I used to live right down the road from there and never even knew about it. Thanks!

Rob454
02-26-2007, 4:23 PM
I take my boat out of oceanside all the time.
For fresh water you can go to silverwood, irvine lake, Santa ana lake big bear
Rob

magmaster
02-26-2007, 7:57 PM
Oso is still closed to the public and no membership program is in the works. I fish a lot of small ponds and "secret" places in south OC. All bass fishing currently. Irvone is good for trout. What exactly are you looking to fish for?

hdcd
02-26-2007, 8:25 PM
Also, I forgot but they do stock the lake with trout. Check this article out --> http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/sports/atoz/article_938421.php . I forgot about these other lakes in OC -Yorba, Ralph Clark, Tri-City and La Mirada regional park lakes.

Somewhere you can find (Maybe Fullerton's website) the dates they stock Laguna.

jmlivingston
02-26-2007, 8:50 PM
During winters trout planted in Trabuco Creek

I'm going to look into this and see what I can find, but if you or anyone else can PM me some additional info on this I'd really appreciate it!

John

Cpl_Peters
02-26-2007, 9:05 PM
Oso is still closed to the public and no membership program is in the works. I fish a lot of small ponds and "secret" places in south OC. All bass fishing currently. Irvone is good for trout. What exactly are you looking to fish for?

There are types of fish now? Haha, nothing specific, just something to bite the line and real 'em in. I am not a big fisher but Have a pole and enjoy just kicking back and talking with friends while doing it. I used to go fishing at lake mv a few years ago but havent fished in about 3 years since I no longer live in Mission Viejo I cant be a member of the lake. Want to get back out and cast line somewhere though. I dont even like eating fish but the dogs love it!

I think I am going to check out Laguna Lake. Gotta hit big 5 and get my license.

Rumpled
02-27-2007, 12:11 AM
Sorry, Mr Livingston, can't find data on Trabuco plantings.
Here's the South Coast DFG planting page, you can sign up for email notices
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fishplant/fishplant_r5.html
Might also check WON and OC Register. I get WON, usually Thursdays; will post if I see Trabuco plantings - I'd imagine this years meager rainfall may have put the stop to it.

magmaster - hitting the homeowners association lakes? eh?

Wasn't Laguna the place with the big ole snapping turtle? What happened to it?

hdcd
02-27-2007, 7:27 AM
Wasn't Laguna the place with the big ole snapping turtle? What happened to it?

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/news/atoz/article_949017.php

Toward the bottom, work crews found jewelry, lots of trash and even a 100-pound alligator snapping turtle, nicknamed "Old Bob" and taken to a turtle sanctuary in Brea.

Rumpled
03-01-2007, 7:49 AM
I saw it in WON last nite, and it's on the DFG web today that Trabuco Creek is to be planted the week of 2-26