PDA

View Full Version : My K98 smells like old people...

LaLa
11-23-2011, 2:36 PM
(No offense to old people.)

I just bought him a few days ago and he smells like mothballs or something similar. How do I get him to NOT smell like that?

dotalchemy
11-23-2011, 2:50 PM
Old people smell of cabbage.

Medical fact.

Old Spice has been known to remove the smell of old people.

Mikeb
11-23-2011, 2:52 PM
Ah you young whipper snapper... Wait till you're old and smell like me... I hope you choke.
Meanwhile Have a good Thanksgiving

dotalchemy
11-23-2011, 2:54 PM
I hope you choke.

:(

Sad alchemist is sad.

stevie
11-23-2011, 2:55 PM
Use FrogLube it will smell minty :oji:

ElvenSoul
11-23-2011, 2:56 PM
Clean it and then take it out and shoot it! Umm if it has not be fired in a long time you might want t a gunsmith to check it out first.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
11-23-2011, 3:00 PM
Clean it and it will smell like Hoppe's. :D

dotalchemy
11-23-2011, 3:07 PM
I think the better question is why do old people smell like guns?

bruceflinch
11-23-2011, 3:14 PM
I think the better question is why do old people smell like guns?

'Coz we been shooting them too long? :oji:

marsd
11-23-2011, 3:14 PM
Febreze Air Effects :D

LaLa
11-23-2011, 3:26 PM
Lol I love old people. Its just a lil weird when I open his case and it smells like I'm in a retirement home. This can't be normal, right?

dotalchemy
11-23-2011, 3:35 PM
One thing that is interesting is that you, whom I assume to be female, refer to it as 'him'. Me, being mostly (I like Greys Anatomy) male, refer to all my rifles as 'her'.

They even have female names, which may be taking it too far...

LaLa
11-23-2011, 3:49 PM
One thing that is interesting is that you, whom I assume to be female, refer to it as 'him'. Me, being mostly (I like Greys Anatomy) male, refer to all my rifles as 'her'.

They even have female names, which may be taking it too far...

You assume correctly, I am most definitely a girl. All of mine are boys, with names appropriate to where they're originally from except for my Detroit PD Glock 22, who's a girl. I named her Milly. :)

dotalchemy
11-23-2011, 3:56 PM
Please go and post on the handgun forum that you refer to everything you own as masculine, except the Glock.

Please!

Mine follow a similar scheme. The two Mosin's are Svetlana and Natalya and the Walther is Elsa.

I need to think up two new Russian names and two American names for new purchases :(

McNally M.
11-23-2011, 4:11 PM
Maybe old people rub cosmoline on their bodies to keep them from rusting? That would explain so much :eek:

CptDan
11-23-2011, 4:27 PM

I just bought him a few days ago and he smells like mothballs or something similar. How do I get him to NOT smell like that?

Darn right it's an old gun !

ElvenSoul
11-23-2011, 4:36 PM
Please go and post on the handgun forum that you refer to everything you own as masculine, except the Glock.

Please!

Mine follow a similar scheme. The two Mosin's are Svetlana and Natalya and the Walther is Elsa.

I need to think up two new Russian names and two American names for new purchases :(

So Plus 1 this!

ElvenSoul
11-23-2011, 4:38 PM
:useless::useless:Calgunners must be slipping...all these post and no

TheExpertish
11-23-2011, 5:05 PM
Lol I love old people. Its just a lil weird when I open his case and it smells like I'm in a retirement home. This can't be normal, right?

You mean your rifle smells like dust, urine, and depends?

emcon5
11-23-2011, 5:22 PM
Clean the stock and apply a coat of Boiled Linseed Oil, followed by a coat or 2 of Tom's 1/3 mix (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=47731).

It will smell great.

diginit
11-23-2011, 5:28 PM
Take a shower with it, After you orgasim, you will smell the same...
Sorry, My bad... But I am old.... Insulting people that know more than you will ever know is a bad idea... But I will answer ignoring ignorance anyways.
There are many ways to delete cosmoline from a 60+ yr old rifle. Break her down and heat the stock in the oven, Hung by coat hangers, at 350 degrees, wiping the b*tch down every 15 min. with a clean cloth until the bleeding stops. Or, Put the stock. wrapped in cloth, in a trash bag and let sit in the sun for a few days,Changing her diapers when she needs it. Or just shoot the B*tch until she gets hot and wet and needs a wipe down... Seriously...

PS. Keep in mind that you might be old someday also. Get my point? If you want to know the facts about something, Ask someone that did the same thing 20 yrs before you were even a twinkle in your mother's eye. Long before your conception. At least the older generation will be honest with you and will help without making a profit. Our profit is knowing we helped someone. Not making money or insulting others to make ourselves feel good. PM me if you ever grow up. :TFH:

bruceflinch
11-23-2011, 7:55 PM
You assume correctly, I am most definitely a girl. All of mine are boys, with names appropriate to where they're originally from except for my Detroit PD Glock 22, who's a girl. I named her Milly. :)

So you're a young girl who likes old guns that smell like old people...:D
Never named any of my guns or cars. Keeps me from saying a name in my sleep that will get me in trouble w/ Wifey! :eek:

Maybe old people rub cosmoline on their bodies to keep them from rusting? That would explain so much :eek:

Will it keep your hair from falling out? :confused:

emcon5
11-23-2011, 8:00 PM
PS. Keep in mind that you might be old someday also. Get my point? If you want to know the facts about something, Ask someone that did the same thing 20 yrs before you were even a twinkle in your mother's eye. Long before your conception. At least the older generation will be honest with you and will help without making a profit. Our profit is knowing we helped someone. Not making money or insulting others to make ourselves feel good. PM me if you ever grow up. :TFH:

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/527/sgthulka19a8ebad.jpg

SideWinder11
11-23-2011, 8:33 PM
I think you should sell it to me right away

LaLa
11-23-2011, 9:31 PM

Please!

I need to think up two new Russian names and two American names for new purchases

Hahah I have three Glocks, the other two are boys. ;)

I had a Russian friend named Inna, perhaps that one would work?

I need another Russian name for my Tula M44, my two 91/30's are Boris and Yuri.
My Rasheed is named Saeed.
My Sig Sauer P226 is named Freud.
My Remington 870 Police Magnum is named LeBeau.
My Glock 17 is Gunther and my G23 is named Valentine (he was made on Valentine's Day).
And my K98 is named Johann Sebastian Mauser Oberndorf. :D

So you're a young girl who likes old guns that smell like old people...
Never named any of my guns or cars. Keeps me from saying a name in my sleep that will get me in trouble w/ Wifey! :eek:

lol, I like my guns how I like my men - old. ;) I'm sure the wife appreciates you not naming anything. Very smart. :)

I think you should sell it to me right away

Not likely :)

TRAP55
11-23-2011, 9:51 PM
So far, it seems to be working.........but the Oxpho-Blu really sux to take the grey out.:)

McNally M.
11-23-2011, 9:52 PM
The only solution to getting rid of the old people smell is complete eradication. Hand me the rifle an I will guarantee you an old people smell-free environment

big103
11-24-2011, 12:31 AM
It might be just old cosmoline in the wood or in the parts. I would break it down and clean it real good.

If it is an stamped all matching k98 it might have been stored in a closet for years were it developed the smell of mothballs or something like you said.

Just curious is it a bring back rifle or Russian capture?

Wicked Pete
11-24-2011, 3:35 PM
I hate old people.

Dutch3
11-24-2011, 3:54 PM
I remember my grandmother's house smelled like mothballs and wallpaper paste. I don't recall her owning any Mausers, though.

Pete1979
11-26-2011, 8:03 AM
Thats funny, My first swede is named Karl with a K, he smells like Hoppes #9 though...

EmmaGoldman
11-26-2011, 1:10 PM
Take a shower with it, After you orgasim, you will smell the same...

Never sleep with a man who can't spell orgasm.

bruceflinch
11-26-2011, 2:46 PM
I hate old people.
Haters gonna hate! :oji:

Never sleep with a man who can't spell orgasm.

Good advice!
Maybe his wife said the same thing & now he's a bit er.. grumpy....;)

chknlyps2
11-26-2011, 9:01 PM

Just smelled my K98 and it smells great! Clean yours, shoot it, clean it again and it will smell perdy!

lol, I like my guns how I like my men - old.
Hey, your alright!

rojocorsa
11-26-2011, 11:37 PM
This thread is "cute."

LOL

IDK about you guys, but I like the smell of old metal and wood. Something about it.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/383939_1626201232474_1759851430_828043_2042073086_ n.jpg

I'm still in the young grasshopper category more or less, but for the most part old guys rule. They have everything and know everything. This "tradition" would not be the same without the old timers.

Lala, I really liked what you named your 98k. What's he look like and where is he from?

Bestguns
11-27-2011, 9:22 AM

Cool user name. Ever been to Shanghai?

Back on topic... Take action out of the stock and clean the old grease and crud off the metal, then re-oil and set aside. Then, gently use a non-marring plastic scraper to clean the oil and dirt out of the inside of the stock. After this, stand the stock up in a box with a box of Arm and Hammer standing in there too. After a month, no more old people smell.

duckman1
11-27-2011, 9:29 AM
Clean it and it will smell like Hoppe's. :D

Great Idea!

Fishslayer
11-27-2011, 11:53 AM

Clean it with Hoppes
Search cosmolene removal
Hang one of these in yer safe! :D

http://www.gunreports.com/media/newspics/No9-Solvent_lo.jpg

glennsche
11-27-2011, 12:09 PM
eezox is imo juuuust a bit better than hoppes, if for no other reason than it smells dreamy. :)

rojocorsa
11-27-2011, 2:18 PM
I thought Kroil smelled OK....

kdm
11-27-2011, 2:35 PM
^^^^I thought I was the only one who liked Kroil smell!!!

Fishslayer
11-27-2011, 6:50 PM
^^^^I thought I was the only one who liked Kroil smell!!!

Nope. I love it. It smells like lead lifting out of the grooves. ;)

rojocorsa
11-27-2011, 8:44 PM
However, when it gets too concentrated, it's bad. All in moderation.

6mmintl
11-28-2011, 5:52 AM
You will smell that way some day, maybe sooner.