PDA

View Full Version : New Custom AK build thread

jemaddux
02-26-2007, 7:01 AM
With of course some new pictures to start this thread off. Sorry, the camera is dieing so I will have to get some better pictures posted as I can.:D

All builds are custom ordered and builds are currently taking about four weeks to complete. Firearms are duracoated and wood is refinished to the color you order. Underfolds can be ordered also with your own kit but additional charges will apply. Complete builds are $550 with all US compliance parts and California DROS fee. (compliance parts replaced are trigger group, piston, muzzle break and receiver). Other firearm work can be done and yes I will build with your own receiver and parts kits.

indetrucks
02-26-2007, 7:18 AM
WOW, those look outstanding James!

I'll be calling you with a time when I may be able to meet you in person and place an order :)

WokMaster1
02-26-2007, 7:42 AM
James does great work. Never had any issues from start to finish. Will be calling on him again when I find an underfolder kit.:D

JPglee1
02-26-2007, 7:50 AM
All builds are custom ordered and builds are currently taking about four weeks to complete. Firearms are duracoated and wood is refinished to the color you order. Underfolds can be ordered also with your own kit but additional charges will apply. Complete builds are $550 with all US compliance parts and California DROS fee. (compliance parts replaced are trigger group, piston, muzzle break and receiver). Other firearm work can be done and yes I will build with your own receiver and parts kits.

Very VERY nice looking James!!

Any plans on offering those builds with 10/30 style magazines (shameless business plug :cool: )

$550 is an excellent price for an out the door build with US parts and CALI compliant, very cool!

JP

jemaddux
02-26-2007, 7:57 AM
Very VERY nice looking James!!

Any plans on offering those builds with 10/30 style magazines (shameless business plug :cool: )

$550 is an excellent price for an out the door build with US parts and CALI compliant, very cool!

JP

No shamless business plugs, just good business. The firearms look great with your mags!!!! Once I get a camera again that will focus I will put up a few pictures of what they will look like.

James

Biff...
02-26-2007, 8:00 AM
Ummm, that purdy one on top looks like mine. As soon as James, gives me the high sign I'm speeding over to his house to pick up my beauty.:D

JPglee1
02-26-2007, 8:16 AM
No shamless business plugs, just good business. The firearms look great with your mags!!!! Once I get a camera again that will focus I will put up a few pictures of what they will look like.

James

Hey man, here's some pics of the lever mags for perspective customers. We built this mag, but its in someone else's rifle (not built by James)

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j258/FIVESIXTN/hkSONY724.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j258/FIVESIXTN/hkSONY720.jpg

Also, here is a video of the magazines being loaded thru the ejection port, using the lever to pull spring pressure down on the follower. They are VERY cool to use with notched safety levers. We hope to help James out with notched safety levers along with the levered magazines.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j258/FIVESIXTN/th_hkSONY-1.jpg (http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j258/FIVESIXTN/?action=view&current=hkSONY-1.flv)

If you're interested in such magazines for your Jemmadux custom build, be sure to let him know AHEAD of time, so we can be sure to get them to him on time!

Thanks for letting me chime in on your thread James!

JP

Biff...
02-26-2007, 8:20 AM
JP

Those look great, I think thats the kind I ordered with my build.

pinheadbob2002
02-26-2007, 8:41 AM
i wonder who's AK those are :)
I might sell the brown one. But I am not sure. The work is well done. I hate to sell something - then down the road replace it - for more money due to price increases.
But 3 rifles might be a bit much, since they are well made - they should each last me a life time. I have other lowers, so once they are built - having more then 6 AK's is way to much.
I can tell you - these rifles where put together well. I plan on shoting 1,000 rounds this weekend threw one of them. I am sure it will hold up well.

indetrucks
02-26-2007, 9:16 AM
That top loading is awesome! I love the mod to the Magazine!

When I order mine I'm gonna see if James can get that as well. Do you guys know (about) how much this will add to the $550? I'm sure you and James will have to talk it over.

JPglee1
02-26-2007, 9:21 AM

When I order mine I'm gonna see if James can get that as well. Do you guys know (about) how much this will add to the $550? I'm sure you and James will have to talk it over.

Thanks for the props...you'll need to talk to James for pricing.

We're doing the collabo, but its still his show, I can't speak for his pricing :D

I can tell you that he does AWESOME work tho, and the 10/30 magazine option really "finishes" the rifle off correctly. No more neutered shorty 10 round mags. Even if you run gripless/detachable you should get at least one 10/30, at least just for pictures (Think: Gun jewelry haha)

J

jemaddux
02-26-2007, 9:28 AM

Nope, what they sell them at is what I charge. So if you order one or I order one its that same price. I just do the building part:D .

I am going to start trying to do some lower priced builds also. Would be about the same as the century arms ones but with the G2 trigger and better wood work done. They would not be Duracoated, just parkerized and oiled. The price is going to be $425 with the DROS. Those will be ready for building in about two weeks (I need to get larger tanks in for the parkerizing). I will be taking orders and payments for those now. They will come ONLY in a natural oil finish on the wood.

JPglee1
02-26-2007, 10:06 AM
Nope, what they sell them at is what I charge. So if you order one or I order one its that same price. I just do the building part:D .

Well since people will ask, we offer the magazines for $35 without thumbstud, $45 with thumbstud.

We also offer them thru CWS. We will soon have our own website up and running (We call ourselves HDM, "Hi-Dez Magazines")

We are encouraging everyone to order them thru CWS "Cold War Shooters" (http://www.coldwarshooters.net/) until our website is up and running. We WILL take direct orders still for other mags and custom stuff, but the AK mags are available now at CWS. If you want to order one from CWS you need to CALL them, as they are not listed on their site at the moment. Ask for "HDM 10/30" magazines

We are also looking for other builders/distributors/retailers who are interested in carrying the product.

The more volume we run thru, the cheaper it gets for everyone involved (supply and demand, Econ 101 :p )

I have a thread HERE (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=50352) that you can post in if you have comments or are interested in working with us on distribution, etc.

I dont want to clutter up James' post/thread with our "off topic" posts so lets keep the magazine stuff on the other thread :D

Thanks!

JP

jemaddux
02-26-2007, 5:01 PM
So let me try and add a few more of the other photos on this thread.:D

And yes you can see how the larger mag adds to the look of the firearm.

KUJO
02-26-2007, 5:30 PM
James you build some really nice looking AK's. Cant wait to see mine. I am sure it will look great even without the pistol grip.

JPglee1
02-26-2007, 5:37 PM
James you build some really nice looking AK's. Cant wait to see mine. I am sure it will look great even without the pistol grip.

I bet it will be beautiful...and if you get one of the 10/30 mags you can be proud to know it was built with care in the same town :)

Welcome to Calguns (sorry for wasting bandwidth, not usual to see Hesperia on the boards!)

J

xenophobe
02-26-2007, 6:13 PM
Those look really nice!

Japedo
02-26-2007, 6:26 PM
More pics of James great work

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=49657&highlight=family

anotherted
02-26-2007, 6:28 PM
What would something like that under folder run?

jemaddux
02-26-2007, 7:44 PM
What would something like that under folder run?

If you have your own kit with receiver and compliance parts I charge $225 for the build. That would be with Duracoat and so on. The 10/30 mag runs extra and there is someone around here that MIGHT have them for sale:D .

Normal builds run $200 if you have ALL your own parts.

jemaddux
02-26-2007, 7:50 PM
im assuming james could offer them with pop riveted mags in place? i like to be extra cautious.

Doing that is NO PROBLEM. On the mag release switch I put a small hole and place a rivet there so it won't function anymore. Works very well and if you were to move out of state you could turn it back to working with little problems.

indetrucks
02-27-2007, 11:02 AM
I will most likely see you either this Sat. or Sun. at the show James..
How do I find you?

JPglee1
02-27-2007, 11:04 AM
Doing that is NO PROBLEM. On the mag release switch I put a small hole and place a rivet there so it won't function anymore. Works very well and if you were to move out of state you could turn it back to working with little problems.

Thats how I would do it... Actually I'd prolly tap it for an 8-32 cap screw or something, then it would be the legal equivalent of a Prince-50 type mag lock...

:cool:

JP

jemaddux
02-27-2007, 11:16 AM
I will most likely see you either this Sat. or Sun. at the show James..
How do I find you?

You can just give me a call when you get to the show and I can tell you what booth I am at.

James

indetrucks
03-05-2007, 10:47 AM
Sorry, was unable to make the show...It took a back seat to my Dirt Bike riding :)

Will you be around this Sat and/or this week James? I still want to do this, probably just have to make a trip to Simi Valley. Maybe sometime this week on the way back from riding.

chiefcrash
03-05-2007, 11:33 AM
email sent :D

Biff...
03-07-2007, 9:48 AM
I picked up my new AK, I can't say enough about the quality. James, more than met my expecatations. Found a cheap sling to match. :)Haven't shot it yet, but looking forward to some range time come this weekend.

A few pics
http://i18.tinypic.com/2u90dvb.jpg
http://i17.tinypic.com/2efqcfo.jpg

ghost
03-07-2007, 8:44 PM
I picked up my new AK, I can't say enough about the quality. James, more than met my expecatations. Found a cheap sling to match. :)Haven't shot it yet, but looking forward to some range time come this weekend.

A few pics
http://i18.tinypic.com/2u90dvb.jpg
http://i17.tinypic.com/2efqcfo.jpg
thats a great looking ak james built you.i`m just waiting to get my compliance parts together then i`m shipping out to james for the build.i`ll be pm`ing you soon james!

jemaddux
03-07-2007, 8:58 PM
I had someone that bought one tell me at the Glendale Show they ran over a thousand rounds through one I built and not a single misfire. I was pretty happy with that:D .

xrMike
03-08-2007, 10:00 AM
James, are you parkerizing stuff yet?

indetrucks
03-08-2007, 10:52 AM
Let me know if you're gonna be around Friday James.. I have it off ALL day and would not mind starting the process :)

GlockComa
03-08-2007, 11:53 AM
James will you be the Ventura Show?
I'll be out there on Sunday. If my finances are good I'd like to dro's one that day.

indetrucks
03-08-2007, 12:21 PM
James will you be the Ventura Show?
I'll be out there on Sunday. If my finances are good I'd like to dro's one that day.

He mentioned to me he would be there..

GlockComa
03-08-2007, 5:25 PM
Thanks for the info.

Christian you going to the show this weekend?

jemaddux
03-08-2007, 6:00 PM
Thanks for the info.

I will be at Ventura both Saturday and Sunday:D .

TacFan
03-08-2007, 8:32 PM
I will be at Ventura both Saturday and Sunday:D .

If you're going to be there, who's going to build my AKs :eek:

indetrucks
03-09-2007, 6:13 AM
Thanks for the info.

No, I'm gonna be dirt bike Riding at the local track (well as local as it gets to a beach city) Piru MX

I was hoping to meet up with James Today if he's around.. But due to the show he's probably gonna be busy

GlockComa
03-11-2007, 2:38 PM
Well just got back from the Ventura Show and ordered my AK.
I cant wait till I get my AK and my other 2 lowers in 3 weeks time.
Thanks James for all your help and easy transaction!
Haha I'll call on you if I have difficulty putting my FAL together after I buy all the parts.

ghost
03-11-2007, 9:21 PM
james pm sent!

jemaddux
03-13-2007, 7:25 PM
James, are you parkerizing stuff yet?

I am still waiting for a new tank. My tank has a leak and the more I tried welding it the more it warpped and leaked more.

They are on back order and when they come in they will ship it 2nd day, between that and two gun shows I am running a bit behind but will try and get things caught up this week. Sorry for any delays on anyones build.

James

Michael303
03-17-2007, 11:15 AM
Finally had a chance to take a picture and publicly post what great work James does on his AK builds. I picked up my completed AK on Wednesday. I opted to supply parts for the build. The build consists of an NDS-3 receiver, Romy parts kit, and Ironwood stock set. I figure the picture speaks for itself. So here it is:

http://www.members.cox.net/bigcheze45/Webpics/AK1.jpg

Needless to say, I highly recommend his work.

GlockComa
03-18-2007, 11:32 AM
Once again I have to thanks James for another easy transaction.
I cant wait to pick up my 2 AK builds and 2 lower receivers.
Thanks James!

Fragenstein
03-19-2007, 10:30 PM
Whats the best way of getting a hold of James? Looking at all these happy customers is killing me! I've sent him a PM and e-mail and still no reply. Send me a message if you see this James. Thanks

jemaddux
03-22-2007, 7:46 AM
For anyone that has been waiting for their firearm to be Parkerized, I was just emailed and told the new tank is in and will be shipped today. I should have it by early next week and will start getting the firearms I have done. Sorry for the delay this caused but it was nothing I could control.

Leadthrower
03-22-2007, 2:06 PM
How much is it for a build if you already have your own receiver? I only ask because it looks from the last tread concerning this it went up a bit in price.

Leadthrower

jemaddux
03-23-2007, 2:39 PM
Same as its always been. $125 less ($100 for the receiver and $25 for the DROS).

xrMike
03-26-2007, 10:16 AM
For anyone that has been waiting for their firearm to be Parkerized...Hi James, I'm almost ready to send you my parts. I will be sending you EVERYTHING -- receiver, parts kit, compliance parts, furniture. How much will this cost?

Also, are you using zinc phospate ? (grey finish) or magnese ? (more of a black finish) parkerizing chemicals?

Thanks.

jemaddux
03-26-2007, 1:36 PM
Hi James, I'm almost ready to send you my parts. I will be sending you EVERYTHING -- receiver, parts kit, compliance parts, furniture. How much will this cost?

Also, are you using zinc phospate ? (grey finish) or magnese ? (more of a black finish) parkerizing chemicals?

Thanks.

I use the Zinc with a pre-dip blackener. Comes out a pretty dark black when done. I also added blueing tanks in to the mix so I will also be doing blueing here soon.

Knight
03-27-2007, 11:26 AM
Hey James,

With all of the options you have in your builds, some sort of price guide would really be helpful. I'm trying to figure out what options I have, and it's hard to figure out pricing sifting through all the posts in this thread.

jemaddux
03-27-2007, 11:41 AM
(With my little finger in my mouth) All builds start at $6,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.02:D

We are working on that right now. I am trying to get a website together with all the finish photos and so on but right now I have to get a new camera that will FRIGGEN FOCUS!!!!!!:eek:

GlockComa
03-27-2007, 11:43 AM
Holy Crap! I feel lucky. I got a massive discount hahaha. That new price is killer! Hahah

Knight
03-27-2007, 12:19 PM
(With my little finger in my mouth) All builds start at $6,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.02:D

Would that price include you supplying the parts? :D

Actually, the main thing I needed was your pricing info for your finish options, which I discovered in your other thread (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=53186).

corvett1214
03-27-2007, 2:10 PM
James, pm sent...:)

Justang
03-28-2007, 5:20 PM
I still haven't gotten mine. :(

jemaddux
03-28-2007, 5:30 PM
I still haven't gotten mine. :(

And yes, that was my screw up. It is going out first thing in the morning and again sorry about that one:eek: .

Knight
03-28-2007, 8:36 PM
On the mag release switch I put a small hole and place a rivet there so it won't function anymore. Works very well and if you were to move out of state you could turn it back to working with little problems.

Is this a non-negotiable precaution that you take on all of your builds? I would much rather mod it myself in a way that doesn't require permanent modification.

jemaddux
03-28-2007, 8:39 PM
Is this a non-negotiable precaution that you take on all of your builds? I would much rather mod it myself in a way that doesn't require permanent modification.

All I do is build it one of two ways, fixed mag with pistol grip or removable mag with no pistol grip. Any modifications you want to make to have a pistol grip would be up to you but it would also be up to you to make sure it is California legal.

optimus-primer
03-28-2007, 8:52 PM
Hello! First post, I just found this site yesterday. I must say thanks to all you on this site, making it happen and keeping it going. I cant wait to start building stuff.

Sorry for the hijack jemaddux, anywhoo, are you in the LA area doing bis or just notifing that you can ship to the LA area?
Im in OC and Im very interested in your products.

Thanks, Rob

GlockComa
03-29-2007, 4:36 PM
James how far out are you with the rifles right now?
Haha this waiting is killing me.

Knight
03-29-2007, 4:40 PM
At least he's working on it already! I haven't even managed to get all the parts I need together yet. The IWD stock set I want is backordered . . . :(

Josh3239
03-29-2007, 5:18 PM

I know what you mean. I cannot get to the range with my new toy:D

jemaddux
03-29-2007, 8:44 PM

Things got a little delayed on me. I put a piece of metal in my eye. Some how it bounced up under my safety glasses and stuck right in the eye. I had to have it cut out. I just got cleared tuesday again and really am just getting my sight back in the eye. I am working as best as I can to get things back in order here. Sorry about the delay.

James

GlockComa
03-30-2007, 8:01 AM
James sorry to hear about your mishap.
Hope your eye gets better.

I might have a couple more buddies interested in AK's.
I'll speak with them this weekend while taking a Utah CCW class.

I might also have another lower transfer'd to you if you dont mind.

indetrucks
03-31-2007, 4:03 PM
yeah sorry to hear that James.. I've still yet to come by :(

Soo many things keep coming up.. But it sounds like ur busy

Josh3239
03-31-2007, 8:42 PM
More great work from James. Thanks!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/airsoft76/Ak47/Picture002.jpg

jemaddux
03-31-2007, 8:46 PM
To add a little, that is one of JP's mag with the level. VERY sweet add on to any of the AK line. The mag gives it one hell of a great look locked into place.

jemaddux
04-01-2007, 6:14 AM
i heard a rumor about putting out a line of 22 ak's?

Nope, just a rumor I guess. Century Arms has a .22 version but I am not a manufacturer so nope. Now this doesn't mean that in the near future I won't become I manfacturer:D .

jemaddux
04-01-2007, 12:55 PM
James, I hope your eye heals quickly. man, that sucks. I had that happen once eating ham out of a plastic bag and got like a papercut on eyes. Jesus, that was the most pain I have ever felt. Wish you a speedy recovery.

Thanks, its doing much better now. I just have a litlle high spot I can feel when I blink. For a few days I couldn't go out in the light or even see out of it in low light. Its all good, its just getting everything caught back up:D .

corvett1214
04-01-2007, 6:43 PM
Glad to know you are ok and getting better, James

grammaton76
04-02-2007, 2:18 AM
i heard a rumor about putting out a line of 22 ak's?

Century makes 'em, CWS sells 'em... you could always mail him the furniture for refinishing or something, though. Or something a bit more radical (i.e. install sidefolder, etc). It's a 22, you can add 50 pistol grips and a side-folding AND collapsible stock if you want to.

JPglee1
04-02-2007, 11:32 AM
To add a little, that is one of JP's mag with the level. VERY sweet add on to any of the AK line. The mag gives it one hell of a great look locked into place.

Thanks for the kind words man.... Chris and myself strive to provide the best quality capacity-limited mags around.

Thats a great looking build as well James!

J

noob1
05-06-2007, 9:45 PM
Pm Sent