PDA

View Full Version : Firearm Purchase ?

mtnguy
02-26-2007, 6:44 AM
I plan on attending the upcoming Las Vegas gunshow, is it legal to purchase firearms there as a resident of CA ? is there a waiting period ?

NeoWeird
02-26-2007, 7:03 AM
I believe in order to do that the transaction must comply with both federal laws, and the states laws of BOTH the purchaser and the seller. So if the seller's state requires you have a Firearm's Owner Card (no such thing exists, I'm just making up stuff for an example), then you would need to obtain one as well AND have the firearm go to a California FFL so they can perform a DROS (California specific so no other FFLs that I know of are set up to perform one), then you would need to wait 10 days before taking posession of it; and this is all assuming the firearm in question is legal to purchase/own here. So I believe it IS legal to purchase a firearm, but it would have to be sent to a local FFL to perform the DROS, transfer, and 10 day wait.

The only exception to this is C&R firearms when you have a C&R license. C&R handguns must be registered with the DOJ within a certain time frame (I want to say 5 days) of returning to the state.

mltrading
02-26-2007, 11:40 AM
I think you can only purchase C&R firearms if you have FFL03. Otherwise, every firearm must go through FFL01.:)

leelaw
02-26-2007, 11:42 AM
Two ways to legally buy the firearm:

1. Use your 03 FFL to buy a C&R firearm

2. Pay for the firearm and have it shipped to your local 01 FFL for a transfer. Verify that this is OK with your FFL before hand, and see if you can get a copy of his signed FFL to give to the dealer at the show (most will not do this, and will have to fax it to the other dealer after you purchase, before the firearm is shipped)

50 Freak
02-26-2007, 12:22 PM
Pick up a M16 or a UZI for me. Please make sure it has "da switch" and no papers.....

Please contact me at Attn: ATF - illegal machine purchase....

Just kidding. When I go to those shows out of state, pretty much the only thing I buy is ammo and assesories. Even though it is legal, no dealer seems to want to have anything to do with someone from CA. They are pretty much all afraid to deal with anyone from CA....Thanks you stupid F@*King CA laws. Thanks for pretty much making us second class citizens.

HUTCH 7.62
02-26-2007, 12:30 PM
Pick up a M16 or a UZI for me. Please make sure it has "da switch" and no papers.....

Please contact me at Attn: ATF - illegal machine purchase....

Just kidding. When I go to those shows out of state, pretty much the only thing I buy is ammo and assesories. Even though it is legal, no dealer seems to want to have anything to do with someone from CA. They are pretty much all afraid to deal with anyone from CA....Thanks you stupid F@*King CA laws. Thanks for pretty much making us second class citizens.

I second that one, god forbid you say you're frm Kommiefornia. I had a friend who went up to a dealer who had a silencer for sale at the Reno gunshow and actually said is that "is that thing legal in california". thank god I was'nt standing next to him because the rest of my party was and no one would deal with them, let alone talk to them.

Mssr. Eleganté
02-26-2007, 10:06 PM
Two ways to legally buy the firearm:

1. Use your 03 FFL to buy a C&R firearm

2. Pay for the firearm and have it shipped to your local 01 FFL for a transfer. Verify that this is OK with your FFL before hand, and see if you can get a copy of his signed FFL to give to the dealer at the show (most will not do this, and will have to fax it to the other dealer after you purchase, before the firearm is shipped)

Don't forget the third way!

3. Buy a C&R long gun that is at least 50 years old from an out of state Licensed Dealer or Collector, in person at their licensed premises. You don't need a C&R FFL to do this.

EOD Guy
02-27-2007, 6:51 AM
Don't forget the third way!

3. Buy a C&R long gun that is at least 50 years old from an out of state Licensed Dealer or Collector, in person at their licensed premises. You don't need a C&R FFL to do this.

Even though it is legal, good luck in finding a dealer who will deal with a California resident. A collector might be willing but cannot sell to an unlicensed out of state resident at a gun show. The sale would have to take place at their licensed premises (as you stated).