PDA

View Full Version : Big 5 Ad: 3500 Gen. $299

Ripon83
11-23-2011, 1:13 PM
http://big5sportinggoods.shoplocal.com/big5/Default.aspx?action=browsepagedetail&storeid=2503823&rapid=1318803&listingid=-2081958861&pretailerid=-98565

I use solar (duh) for some battery charging and some security lights. Plus I've got panels for my bug out property that would do me quite well, but the sun doesn't always shine. I'm guessing this is as cheap as a 3500 watt would get? Both in terms of quality and price I assume (cheap I mean)?

jyo
11-23-2011, 2:30 PM
Probably made in China---shop Craigslist for a used Honda generator---something you can depend on...

problemchild
11-23-2011, 3:30 PM
Probably made in China---shop Craigslist for a used Honda generator---something you can depend on...

x100

3500 will be a loud gas hog

Scout2Diesel
11-23-2011, 10:27 PM
I'd have an extra (quality) circut breaker on hand if you go cheap.

Don't ask me.

ireload
11-24-2011, 3:19 AM
A buddy of mine has one for at least 3 years now. He has used it on several occassion running anywhere from a minimum or 3 to 6 hours max. So far his has held up. It is loud according to him. He purchased it from another store I believe Pepboys.

Keep an eye out in Home Depot or Lowe's at times they have clearance on generators. I got one back in 06' for $399 Briggs and Stratton 5,500 running watts. Sadly cost of gennys has been climbing price wise since.

kablooie
11-24-2011, 7:22 AM
i bought this exact one from big5 several months. i think it was around the same price and also had a 10% off coupon, which u can get by signing up on their email (as many times as u want).

yes, it is loud but direction of the muffler helps. when shopping i was considering going the honda route for sound and quality, but the area i live in has only been w/o power 2-3 times in the past several years. therefore, i didnt need something i wouldnt be using all the time.

Shellshocker66
11-24-2011, 8:29 AM
Where I live used to get power outages all the time. So I finally broke down and purchased a genny from Sams Club. Wish I had gotten a bigger one but at the time I just wanted something to power a small space heater or air conditioner for my elderly mother because most outages lasted a minimum of 12-16 hours.

So I buy it, waiting for it to be delivered and BAM out goes the lights! Of course this is my kinda luck. Turns out that a car finally smashed into our very faulty electrical substation box and they had to replace the whole thing... 24 hours without power. Now I have owned that genny for 3 years now and have not had even a 5 minute power outage since!

One day I need to go out and run it through some load checks, but thought I would have the chance by now. Other then a test check when I first got it I've not run it since (drained everything out so gas/oil wouldn't go bad).

QQQ
11-24-2011, 8:42 AM
Where I live used to get power outages all the time. So I finally broke down and purchased a genny from Sams Club. Wish I had gotten a bigger one but at the time I just wanted something to power a small space heater or air conditioner for my elderly mother because most outages lasted a minimum of 12-16 hours.

So I buy it, waiting for it to be delivered and BAM out goes the lights! Of course this is my kinda luck. Turns out that a car finally smashed into our very faulty electrical substation box and they had to replace the whole thing... 24 hours without power. Now I have owned that genny for 3 years now and have not had even a 5 minute power outage since!

One day I need to go out and run it through some load checks, but thought I would have the chance by now. Other then a test check when I first got it I've not run it since (drained everything out so gas/oil wouldn't go bad).

Kind of funny how once you're ready for something, it doesn't happen!

cranemech
11-24-2011, 12:15 PM
I purchased two generators that looked identical to this one (same manufacturer, different branding?). I ran them for 10 months @ 50+ hours a week. I bought one from Pepboys and one from Costco. The engines were Honda clones. I changed the oil once a week other than routine maintenance I only had to replace the rectifier assemblies and brush assemblies. They were not Honda quiet, but they definitely weren't as loud as the typical construction type generator. This thread (966 pages :eek:)has a lot of info. When I was reading about them it only had 120 pages.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/15131645/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1

RCJeeper
11-26-2011, 4:03 AM
I bought the exact one from pep boys. Worked great for 2 years or so.

Then it stopped . . . debris in carb . . .fixed
Then it stopped . . . leaking petcock . . . fixed
Then it stopped . . . see 1st item . . . fixed . . . went to start and ended up up with the cord in hand . . . connected to nothing, lol

Generator in garbage, save for Honda

Dutch3
11-26-2011, 8:22 AM
I bought one of those about 5 years ago (same manufacturer but labeled as "Champion"). It is the one the RV folks like. It was also $299 at Kragen Auto Parts.

The main difference is the one I bought has a 240V outlet as well as 120V and 12VDC outlets. I need 240V to run my well pump.

6.5HP Honda clone engine, it has been very reliable for me. It has always started on the 1st or 2nd pull, and will run my well pump, refrigerator and freezer simultaneously. It is fairly quiet, not ear-bleedingly loud like the Briggs-powered units.

I bought it about 24 hours into a 5-day outage and did not have much chance to shop around, as it was literally the last generator for sale locally. When SHTF, it is not the time to start thinking about buying a generator. I already had a 5,000W Honda here, but wore my arm out trying to start it and did not have time to mess with it. I should probably figure out what is wrong with it so I can have a backup for my backup.

Ripon83
11-26-2011, 8:34 AM
Well went to Big 5 and they did me a favor, no generator in stock, but they 8 shot 870 was and I needed one of those anyway :)

kablooie
11-26-2011, 10:02 PM
Well went to Big 5 and they did me a favor, no generator in stock, but they 8 shot 870 was and I needed one of those anyway :)

nice alternative... hopefully you worked in the 10% eclub coupon????

smle-man
11-26-2011, 10:38 PM
I bought one of those about 5 years ago (same manufacturer but labeled as "Champion"). It is the one the RV folks like. It was also $299 at Kragen Auto Parts.

The main difference is the one I bought has a 240V outlet as well as 120V and 12VDC outlets. I need 240V to run my well pump.

6.5HP Honda clone engine, it has been very reliable for me. It has always started on the 1st or 2nd pull, and will run my well pump, refrigerator and freezer simultaneously. It is fairly quiet, not ear-bleedingly loud like the Briggs-powered units.

I bought it about 24 hours into a 5-day outage and did not have much chance to shop around, as it was literally the last generator for sale locally. When SHTF, it is not the time to start thinking about buying a generator. I already had a 5,000W Honda here, but wore my arm out trying to start it and did not have time to mess with it. I should probably figure out what is wrong with it so I can have a backup for my backup.

Could be stale gas in the fuel line and carberator. I shut mine off by turning off the fuel and letting it run itself dry to avoid this problem. I also start my generator every other month and run it under a load for 10 minutes (hair dryer on max or electric heater). It never fails to start with the plan.