PDA

View Full Version : bolt-action AK47

thefinger
02-25-2007, 11:10 PM
What would be the easiest way to safely (and reversibly) turn my Romanian AK47 into a bolt-action rifle? I was just reading another thread about the legality of it, but I couldn't find any threads discussing how to mod the rifle.

thefinger
02-26-2007, 12:34 AM

anyone??

leelaw
02-26-2007, 12:38 AM
tap the gas port and put a short set screw in it. Use lock tite.

thefinger
02-26-2007, 1:50 AM

So if I decided to remove the set screw everything would be operational like normal?

James R.
02-26-2007, 2:44 AM

You sure that would be sufficient? They tend to like to see silver solder on these types of things. Not that silver solder isn't reversible, but it's a lot harder to reverse...i.e you can't do it with basic hand tools.

Regards,

James R.

mltrading
02-26-2007, 12:46 PM
+1 to James R. The silver solder would be more proper than set screws. Also remember to remove gas piston.:)

JPglee1
02-26-2007, 1:06 PM
You sure that would be sufficient? They tend to like to see silver solder on these types of things. Not that silver solder isn't reversible, but it's a lot harder to reverse...i.e you can't do it with basic hand tools.

Regards,

James R.

I would just take the gas piston out myself, get a 2nd bolt carrier that doesn't have the piston attached.

Remember, there is NO CONSTRUCTIVE POSSESSION LAWS in California. It doesn't matter if you have the other bolt carrier in the case next to it, as long as its NOT CONFIGURED as an AW, its not an AW, PERIOD :D

If you wanna be really anal about it, drive the gas block off and put in a setscrew, *OR* you could use a Yugo gas block with the gas cut off lever and setscrew it closed

I personally would just take out the gas piston and make a 2nd gas tube that had a block in it, with the vents still working, to keep the gas from the port out of the receiver (and your eyes)

JP

AJAX22
02-26-2007, 1:23 PM
on my AMD65's I'm just removing the gas piston, it WON"T function semi auto without it and if SHTF it's quick and easy to restore (spare bolt carrier), If I was planning on shooting them more I'd probably block the gas tube, but I just want to have these incase SHTF. (and also cause they look cool)

If you really want a permenantly modified AK, you can get untaped barrels and have one pressed in, its a bit of work but its doable.

JHC
02-26-2007, 4:40 PM
On my underfolder I tapped the gas port and put in an allen head bolt to block the gasses, then for insurance I cut the head off of the gas piston. It works great, It would work alot better if I was left handed or if the charging handle was on the other side.

thefinger
02-26-2007, 7:09 PM
on my AMD65's I'm just removing the gas piston, it WON"T function semi auto without it and if SHTF it's quick and easy to restore (spare bolt carrier), If I was planning on shooting them more I'd probably block the gas tube, but I just want to have these incase SHTF. (and also cause they look cool)

If you really want a permenantly modified AK, you can get untaped barrels and have one pressed in, its a bit of work but its doable.

If all you do is remove the gas piston then where does all that gas go? Is it safe to just remove the gas piston without blocking the flow of gas from the port in the barrel?

wayoutwest
02-26-2007, 10:08 PM
When I did my single shot, I filled the gas block with silver solder and then cut the plunger end off the piston, I had no plans on bringing back to semi.

Works great as a bolt action