PDA

View Full Version : What's the word on this .45 Upper?

ARRRR-15
02-25-2007, 8:26 PM
http://www.olyarms.com/?rootView=browse&view=dtl&ids=K45-UR

Seems like a good price. What else would I need to purchase? I heard that you need a different hammer for the 9mm conversion.

Guns R Tools
02-25-2007, 8:31 PM
I believe the uppers from Olympic arm uses standard lowers. No modification necessary.

From their web site

If you don't need a complete AR-15 carbine and already have a mil-spec lower receiver, then an Olympic Arms pistol cal upper conversion unit is all you need. Our upper conversion units, along with your mil-spec lower will allow you to shoot 9mm, 10mm, 40 S&W or 45 ACP.

No modifications to the lower receiver and no tools are needed to install the unit. Just put the upper on your complete lower and you're good to go.

These kits use modified Sten or Uzi magazines. The mags have metal flanges welded to them so they mimic the shape of a standard AR-15 magazine and fit directly into the lower receiver. Our pistol cal units don't use mag well inserts. The magazines are all metal for rugged durability.

These pistol cal upper conversion units are fully assembled, headspaced and test-fired.

ARRRR-15
02-25-2007, 9:59 PM
Thanks Guns.

Anybody own one? Any trouble?

Also, should I bother with a .45 or just go with a 9mm? Any benifits to the .45?

(Sorry, should have asked these questions in the begining)

Richard
02-25-2007, 10:11 PM
I have the 9mm that uses modified sten mags for about 10 yrs.. Nothing to the modification.

Never had major problems, occasional FTE(I would blame it on the ammo) I've only used it occasionally....fun shooter.

Rock river looks like a better system.....if I had a choice ,I'd go that route.

threadcrapper
02-25-2007, 10:33 PM
That would be great for the indoor ranges that don't allow rifle ammo. I'd like to get that or a 9mm.

ARRRR-15
02-26-2007, 7:13 AM
That would be great for the indoor ranges that don't allow rifle ammo. I'd like to get that or a 9mm.

That's what I was thinking and it would be more of a challenge in a 25yard indoor range. It would be cheaper also.

I think I'm going to go with the .45. I was looking at my lower last night and thought of milling block at an angle to use 1911 mags. I have a standard cap mag that would be fun to use on a gripless build.

Anybody hear of anyone doing this?

slick_711
02-26-2007, 7:19 AM
.45 would be fun, but it won't be any cheaper than .223, and I don't see how it would be more challenging? And standard cap 1911 mags are 7 rounds? I'm sure thats not what you have in mind though, so what did you have in mind? :)

ARRRR-15
02-26-2007, 7:54 AM
.45 would be fun, but it won't be any cheaper than .223, and I don't see how it would be more challenging? And standard cap 1911 mags are 7 rounds? I'm sure thats not what you have in mind though, so what did you have in mind? :)

Well was assuming that .45 is less accurate than .223, but I guess at 25 yds it wouldn't matter. Forgot to mention I'm going to start reloading .45, then move on to .223 once I get the hang of it. Also, I could find any .223 under $1 each the last time I was to go shooting. So it will be cheaper until I start reloading or find a better ammo source.

Your right 7 rds my mistake. In that case my mag is standard X 2 + 2 rds all in one package.:D :p

Cpl_Peters
02-26-2007, 2:30 PM
.223 at 1$ a piece!!!!! thats insane. $0.30/ bullet is the most you should be paying for .223, almost the same as .45auto

gunrun45
02-26-2007, 3:49 PM
I've got both the 9mm oly upper and the 45 oly upper. I love them both. They use a shrouded bolt and DO NOT need a special hammer. That's why I bought the oly over the RRA (colt pattern) that needs a special hammer or some detailed modd to the bolt carrier to prevent damage to the assembly.

Forget the 1911 mag well adapter (although very cool idea since the make 10 round 1911 mags), how about a glock mags? Oly makes a lower that takes Glock mags now but the receivers (although OLL) are VERY hard to find. Then you could use your pre-ban high cap glock 17 mags or glock 22 mags with the oly 40S&W upper (both mags are same exterior size). I don't know if the G21 mags would fit for the 45ACP upper build though.