PDA

View Full Version : A non-detenting detent.

milw50717
02-25-2007, 5:39 PM
Just built up another lower and have discovered that the front takedown/pivot detent does not want to open. I have tried pushing really hard, but it just doesn't want to move.

I'm thinking that my best/only option is sticking something in the oil hole on the side and pull the spring down a little.

Anyone thoughts on cause and possible cures ?

Oh and below is an image from ar15 of the part that I am talking about.

http://www.kevinholman.com/byor/lower/pivot.jpg

Thanks

Jicko
02-25-2007, 5:42 PM
Hammer it out. Protect the surrounding tho....

The first couple of times.... it is HARD.... once you have done it like 10times... it will become much easier...

milw50717
02-25-2007, 5:58 PM
Hammer it out. Protect the surrounding tho....

The first couple of times.... it is HARD.... once you have done it like 10times... it will become much easier...

A precision pounding with a 1lb hammer certainly freed it up. Naturally, it is now locked in the open position. Fortunately, there is a hole the other side of the takedown pin that can be used to depress the detent.

Thanks

xenophobe
02-25-2007, 6:04 PM
Remove the takedown pin and clip several (2-4) coils off the spring and reinstall. It's better to clip a couple and then a couple more than doing more than 2 coils at a time.

That should help the problem, and putting some oil and actuating the pin open and closed a few dozen times and it should move smoothly.

milw50717
02-25-2007, 6:11 PM
Remove the takedown pin and clip several (2-4) coils off the spring and reinstall. It's better to clip a couple and then a couple more than doing more than 2 coils at a time.

That should help the problem, and putting some oil and actuating the pin open and closed a few dozen times and it should move smoothly.

Seems like good advice. Something for tomorrow though as I need to find a good price on some optics for the upper I bought in the last Mud group buy :)

Thanks

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s216/milw50717/lcw15.jpg

TheMan
02-25-2007, 10:28 PM

Yep, I have had to clip a little off the springs to make several of my detents work more smoothly from the beginning. They will work better over time as they wear in. But if they are that jammed up from the beginning, clipping the springs should help things.