PDA

View Full Version : Named Manufacturer Upper on OLL?

mxpatriot51
02-25-2007, 11:32 AM
Would it be legal to put a bushmaster upper on a CMMG (Off List) lower?

MonsterMan
02-25-2007, 11:35 AM
Would it be legal to put a bushmaster upper on a CMMG (Off List) lower?

Yes. The banned name only matters on the lower receiver.

Prc329
02-25-2007, 11:40 AM
Yes. I have a bushy on a double star. It is the lower that matters because that is the regulated part. Unless the upper is a 50bmg.

mxpatriot51
02-25-2007, 12:00 PM
Thanks guys, I know the lower is the only regulated/registered part. Just wanted to make sure I won't have a judge going "Well, it says Bushmaster on it and Bushmaster is on the Kasler list".

Mssr. Eleganté
02-25-2007, 12:05 PM
Thanks guys, I know the lower is the only regulated/registered part. Just wanted to make sure I won't have a judge going "Well, it says Bushmaster on it and Bushmaster is on the Kasler list".

The judge won't be saying that but the cop might.

rassd71
02-25-2007, 12:10 PM
Yes. I have a bushy on a double star. It is the lower that matters because that is the regulated part. Unless the upper is a 50bmg.

Not to hijack the thread, but here we go...

I thought the 50bmg receivers were not allowed, but that the uppers were ok??

C.G.
02-25-2007, 12:13 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but here we go...

I thought the 50bmg receivers were not allowed, but that the uppers were ok??

You cannot put a .50 BMG upper on a lower, unless you have a registered AW or .50BMG lower.

hoffmang
02-25-2007, 12:26 PM
If you build a rifle, in whatever way, that is chambered in .50BMG without the receiver of that rifle either being a registered AW or a registered .50BMG you have broken the law.

Caveats. You can have a non rifle in .50BMG without it being registered. You can create a rifle chambered in anything but .50BMG and less than .60.

Also, I believe the 2728 civil injunction remedy does apply to .50BMGs that are unregistered as well but I need to peek at the Code to make sure.

-Gene

guimus
02-25-2007, 12:55 PM
back to the original topic, I'd advise that you refer to your rifle by the lower when talking about it (especially to police officers.) If you put a Bushmaster upper on a Double Star lower, it's make is Double Star if anyone asks. The little training that cops have in dealing with AR's is how to identify them, and lots of them just memorize the names...they know their ABC's (armalite, bushmaster, colt) and little else.