PDA

View Full Version : Gunsmith to build OLL

currahee
02-25-2007, 10:54 AM
Hi,
Having no such skills, anybody know a gunsmith who will build an OLL gun for me. Also, what are the chances of confiscation of such a gun at a public range by DOJ agents?
Cordially,
-C.

hoffmang
02-25-2007, 11:07 AM
You confiscation risk is exceedingly low if you have your rifle configured properly. Also, it really isn't that hard to build one of these at all. If you are really worried there may be a Calgunner nearby who you can buy a beer for that will help you through the process. Even a complete first timer can get this done in an hour.

-Gene

naimad
02-25-2007, 11:13 AM
You confiscation risk is exceedingly low if you have your rifle configured properly. Also, it really isn't that hard to build one of these at all. If you are really worried there may be a Calgunner nearby who you can buy a beer for that will help you through the process. Even a complete first timer can get this done in an hour.

-Gene

+1 on that :D

fairfaxjim
02-25-2007, 11:44 AM

-Gene
Where are you located? I would be willing to help you if you are close to the SF Bay Area. It would also allow you to get some first had operating knowledge, and possibly go shoot it for the first time with someone who has experience should there be any operational issues. You could probably even try several different types of uppers to see what you like and what works for you. After you do one of these builds, you will want more, and you will be suprised at how easy it really is.

FinweElensar
02-25-2007, 11:47 AM
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

My only gun experience was a couple of Sigs, and all I did with those was install short triggers... Just go S-L-O-O-O-W.

Biff...
02-25-2007, 11:54 AM
Take your time and follow directions, AR15.com has a great step by step on how to put together your rig.

PanzerAce
02-25-2007, 12:06 PM
Yah, if you follow the arfcom instructions, everything should go pretty easily.

pinheadbob2002
02-25-2007, 12:27 PM
what kind of "OLL" are you building?
Is it an "AR type" , "AK type" or something sort of "HK type" or something like a "FAL type" ?

Fjold
02-25-2007, 12:33 PM
what kind of "OLL" are you building?
Is it an "AR type" , "AK type" or something sort of "HK type" or something like a "FAL type" ?

Aren't "AK type" and "FAL type", OLU's instead of OLL's?

Cato
02-25-2007, 12:39 PM
You really can build it yourself: I did, and I have very little experience with tools. Building an AR is like building something out of Legos. There is no filing or measuring to do. Everything just snaps into place. Now it can be a headache dealing with springs flying across the room, but take your time.

Now if you want to avoid that you can buy ready made Cali legal rifles. Coldwar shooters had Rock River Arms rifles with mags attached with prince 50 mag locks last I checked. Gunrunners, Duarte had the S&W AR on display. They will also build you whatever you want.

If I had the option of buying ready made builds last year, I think I would have gone with a Cold War shooters Rock River Arms carbine. I did, however, learn a lot building my own rifle.

Will your rifle get confiscated by DOJ men in dark glasses hanging out at public ranges? I doubt that very much. Whenever I go to a range I see lots of guys with OLL builds. I've even talked to range officers who have said that it is not their job to check if your rifle is legal or not. They are more concerned about guys shooting steel bullets. Anyway, if you have a locked mag, your rifle IS legal.

Stanky626
02-25-2007, 1:36 PM
+1 on that.

I too thought it was complicated and need help to build my OLL. Follow the AR15.com link and you'll be ok. It as very easy and a lot of fun to build. Although, I did buy a completed upper. But, my lower was built from scratch.

hoffmang
02-25-2007, 1:38 PM
I don't think anyone here is recommend that you attempt to build an upper. Complete uppers aren't much more than the cost of the parts and you'll know they are safe and well built. It may give you some more comfort building the lower to know that all of the real ballistic work is performed in the upper.

-Gene

pinheadbob2002
02-25-2007, 2:13 PM
Aren't "AK type" and "FAL type", OLU's instead of OLL's?

? are they?
the lower is the part you DROS? right- thus OLL - off list LOWER. What does the "U" stand for in "OLU". (upper???)
Are you saying some rifle type - you DROS the UPPER and not the lower?
Since you post alot more then I do so I am sure I am wrong - I would like to learn some more.
thanks for the help
bob

Technical Ted
02-25-2007, 2:17 PM
? are they?
the lower is the part you DROS? right- thus OLL - off list LOWER. What does the "U" stand for in "OLU". (upper???)
Are you saying some rifle type - you DROS the UPPER and not the lower?
Yup. The uppers of the AK and FAL are the component that is serialized.