PDA

View Full Version : AR 15 Question, Help Requested

emvampyre
11-20-2011, 11:57 PM
I'm looking for some advice here. I've asked some people who supposedly know the law but I'm getting some conflicting information. Here's what I have:

I own a post ban AR, Colt HBAR Super Match. I know the law regarding no flash hider and no bayonet lug, no problem there. I want to purchase a 16" upper on it, and there is a deal on an Adams Arms gas piston upper with a threaded barrel and flash hider attached. My question is can I remove the flash hider and instal this upper on my lower? In other words, permanently attach a thread protector to make it compliant?

I have heard yes, and I've heard "Absolutely!", "Absolutely not!" and "Hmmmm, yes. Errr, no. Umm, I'm not sure."

I'm turning to you folks for some more guidance.

Thanks in advance for anything you can give me!

EvolutionGSR
11-21-2011, 12:07 AM
I'm a bit confused on what you have. Any colts previous to the new "SP" models that have just come to CA would have to be registered. So is your rifle registered in CA? If it is, you should be ok with getting any upper you want. If its not registered, then its not ok as it is or no matter what you do with it. Maybe clarify, did you mis type and mean "pre-ban", and you have registered it. I don't think you are providing us with enough information to give you a solid answer. Oh and I don't think bayonet lugs are part of the CA assault weapons banned feature list.

Edit: I said any upper, but I dont think/know if that includes sbrs.

emvampyre
11-21-2011, 12:16 AM
Evolution, I'm sorry...Let me see if I can explain...

In the late 90's (I believe I bought it in th 95-97 time frame)there were certain AR's that were sold sans bayonet lug and plain barrels, no threads, no brakes, etc. attached. I believe I registered it along with my other "assault weapons", and believe I am good to go with the upper. However, I just want to be as sure as possible, if you get my meaning.

EvolutionGSR
11-21-2011, 12:16 AM
Really? I thought it was up in the air in the eyes of a few people.

Edit: I was also making the statement in the understanding that he purchased that rifle as a complete rifle, from the way he worded it. I was speaking in terms of purchasing complete rifles, which I don't think could have been done after to 2000 CA ban up to until you could buy the new SP models.

Edit: Turns out I didn't ask for clarification for no reason haha. He has a registered rifle.

emvampyre
11-21-2011, 12:18 AM
^ incorrect.. you've been under a rock or something.. there have been several Colt rollmarks that have been blessed as 'off list' including the one the OP is referring to..

OP: your question will be answered soon I suspect.. but in the meantime, treat it as any other OLL and go to the flow chart in the header above..

Killer, that's what I think I'm doing, but damned if I just can't seem to figure it out. I'm feeling a bit "slow" today...I think I'm good, but I'm attempting the old "Measure twice, cut once" approach and asking everyone who will put up with me at the moment...Thanks!

Grumpyoldretiredcop
11-21-2011, 2:09 AM
I'm looking for some advice here. I've asked some people who supposedly know the law but I'm getting some conflicting information. Here's what I have:

I own a post ban AR, Colt HBAR Super Match. I know the law regarding no flash hider and no bayonet lug, no problem there. I want to purchase a 16" upper on it, and there is a deal on an Adams Arms gas piston upper with a threaded barrel and flash hider attached. My question is can I remove the flash hider and instal this upper on my lower? In other words, permanently attach a thread protector to make it compliant?

I have heard yes, and I've heard "Absolutely!", "Absolutely not!" and "Hmmmm, yes. Errr, no. Umm, I'm not sure."

I'm turning to you folks for some more guidance.

Thanks in advance for anything you can give me!

If you owned it prior to 2000, and registered it as an assault weapon with the CA DOJ, you may put whatever upper you like on it, as long as the barrel is 16" or greater. Bayonet lugs are not "evil features" in CA, that was the Federal AW ban, which has expired and is no longer in effect. In any case, you may have any features you like on a RAW (Registered Assault Weapon).

If you are in doubt as to whether you did register it, you can obtain a list of weapons that you have registered from the CA DOJ. If you did not register it, you would be wise to consult the CA Rifle Ban Interactive Chart or the CA Semiauto Ban (AW) ID Flowchart (the links is at the top of this page) to determine what you can do.

emvampyre
11-21-2011, 8:49 AM
If you owned it prior to 2000, and registered it as an assault weapon with the CA DOJ, you may put whatever upper you like on it, as long as the barrel is 16" or greater. Bayonet lugs are not "evil features" in CA, that was the Federal AW ban, which has expired and is no longer in effect. In any case, you may have any features you like on a RAW (Registered Assault Weapon).

If you are in doubt as to whether you did register it, you can obtain a list of weapons that you have registered from the CA DOJ. If you did not register it, you would be wise to consult the CA Rifle Ban Interactive Chart or the CA Semiauto Ban (AW) ID Flowchart (the links is at the top of this page) to determine what you can do.

Thanks Grumpy, that's the answer I was looking for, and the confirmation I needed. I appreciate it...

Ziggy91
11-21-2011, 9:35 AM
I see you subscribed to Midway's mailing list :D

Anyways,
I don't see the issue at hand. I have two ARs, one with a flash hider and the other with a comp. I've never heard or seen of a law still intact that says you can't have either on your weapon. If so, then everyone at the ranges I've been goin to seems to be breaking the law.... Including me, but I could care less as it is. I've also neve seen a post-ban upper being used, so that's rare too.

dieselpower
11-21-2011, 10:08 AM
Thanks Grumpy, that's the answer I was looking for, and the confirmation I needed. I appreciate it...

There are some concerns I have with what you are asking and what you are doing.

1) In the mid 90s you bought a Colt. Since the Federal AWB was in effect, it has no bayonet lug and a non-threaded barrel.

2) When California enacted its OWN SEPARATE BAN, you registered this as an ASSAULT WEAPON with the DoJ and received a paper back in the mail stating you are the registered owner of said AW. It looks like this...
http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu272/Wiringguy/sampleawregistrationdoc.jpg

3) You now want to swap the upper.

If all this is true, here is my advice;
Your rifle is a CA RAW (California Registered Assault Weapon). As long as you do not violate the Federal NFA you can do whatever you want to it. It doesn't have to comply with the "Flow Chart." It can be under 30" long, It can have a fixed magazine with 30rds, it can have a detachable magazine and pistol grip. It can have a flash hider, thumb-hole stock ...whatever. If you have that piece of paper (or know its registered) you are in compliance with PC12276 and don't have to worry about PC12276.1.

The only upper you can not buy and install is one with a less than 16" barrel. that is the Federal NFA you must compay with.

emvampyre
11-21-2011, 11:39 AM
dieselpower,

Exactly! I have that letter, and that was exactly the info I was looking for. For years I was under the impression that I needed to keep the rifle "as is" and all uppers had to be sans flash hider and bayonet lug. I just wanted to ask again. Thank you!

Ziggy91,

Yes I do, and that upper is on it's way to me!

Thanks one and all, I really appreciate your help! Rich