View Full Version : WTB: Affordable O/U

02-25-2007, 1:03 AM
I'm looking for a used O/U that won't break the bank. My budget is around $500, about the cost of a brand new Remington SPR310 or Mossberg Silver Reserve. If I can't find any good deals, I'll probably head to Big 5 and pick up a Spartan for $469.

I live in the Los Angeles area. Feel free to PM me.

02-25-2007, 12:33 PM
The only new O/U you're gonna find for less than the SPR310 is the Stoeger Condor. And from what I've read, quality is hit or miss. Those retail for $350. I recently bought the SPR310 from Big 5 too. It was $537 OTD.

02-25-2007, 1:08 PM
Wilit, how do you like your SPR310?

Just checking to see if anyone is selling a used O/U at a reasonable price. If anyone has a used SPR310, I'm willing to consider it. I found a used Mossberg Silver Reserve for $410. Considering that one, too.

02-25-2007, 2:01 PM
I checked out a Big5 ad today and its got the Mossburg Silver Reserve for $480ish... I am going to pick one up when I get back tomorrow.

02-25-2007, 2:06 PM
I checked out a Big5 ad today and its got the Mossburg Silver Reserve for $480ish... I am going to pick one up when I get back tomorrow.

Actually, I noticed $489 for the Mossberg SR and $469 for the Spartan are the regular prices. But, they're good prices nonetheless. Cheaper than Turners. I'll probably end up getting the Spartan from Big 5 if I can't find a good used one.

I bought a used Remington 1100 for a great used price of $400. That's why I always looked for used guns first.

02-25-2007, 2:33 PM
CZ has some cheap O/Us, and one of the best .410 O/U that I have seen for less than $1k. I was really interested in one and CZ was the best I could find that was in my price range (which is just slightly higher than yours).

And just an FYI, although Big 5 gets great deals on guns, some of them are not the same guns you would get at say Turner's or any other mom and pop shop. From what I have heard, the reason is because Big 5 will get contracts with the different companies and the two will essentially creat a new configuration to keep cost ata minimum. I know that I have held the same model shotgun at Big 5 (forget the exact one, but it might have been the Mossberg) and it seemed nice, but then I went to Turners and it had nicer wood, better metal finish, and it had checkering on the wood (what originally caught my attention and made me investigate the difference when they were the same model - or so I thought). So just keep that in mind. It may not be much, but sometimes that $20-30 you save at Big 5 may not be a savings at all, just a lower model quality model. I've also heard of other less obvious differences like plastic sights instead of metal, different woods (like using Beech instead of Walnut), plastic trigger housings instead of metal, visible machining marks, etc.

Please keep in mind that this is not the case will ALL guns at Big 5, bt I have noticed it and I have heard a good number of people saying the same. Nothing wrong the firearms, but when you go in use a keen eye to see what you are getting and if it's good for you then get it. Personally, checking or even finish isn't a HUGE deal to me and the extra $30 could buy some ammo; but to others it is a big deal.

02-25-2007, 3:42 PM
I looked at the Mossberg SR while I was shotgun shopping recently, and decided against it after reading up on it at www.shotgunworld.com. Something about damage to the receiver when opening and closing it - I forget the details.

Overall, the most recommended inexpensive O/Us were the Remington SPR310 (Spartan)/Baikal IZH27, which Big 5 also carries. Not as pretty as the Mossberg, but lots happier users.

There are many, many threads about inexpensive O/Us at shotgunworld. I'd highly recommend reading up on them before buying one.

02-25-2007, 3:49 PM
Wilit, how do you like your SPR310?

Don't know, I haven't picked it up yet. :( I do plan on buying a new bead (the one it comes with is a little hard to see) and Trulock chokes. I've read the chokes it comes with are pretty crappy.

03-04-2007, 6:23 PM
I bought the Remington Spartan 310 from TURNERS awhile back. The MOSSBERG SILVER RESERVE has a problem with the firing pins denting the reciever block when the action is broken and the trigger is pulled, then the action closed. Every SR I have picked up off the rack has had these dents. I also learned that from shotgun world. My Remington however is a pickup truck of a gun but is super reliable, handles well and gets the job done. You don't get all teary eyed when it falls in the dirt either.