View Full Version : Handguard

02-24-2007, 10:48 PM
I wanted to get a Quad Rail System but don't want to spend too much. Is free-floating so much better (if so, what are the benefits?)?

Second, what do you guys think of YHM 2 piece Quad Rail CAR length???

02-25-2007, 9:23 AM
Someone please help

02-25-2007, 11:01 AM
SureFireM73 or YHM Free Float????

02-25-2007, 11:24 AM
I've been researching these recently, and just bought a MI that I'm waiting for. I wanted something solid that I didn't have to modify the gun to use (cut off the delta ring or remove the front sight), so that leaves of most FF handguards.

According to arfcom users, the Surefire handguards aren't level with the receiver rail. Some people don't care about that. The Surefire gets lots of props for quality at a reasonable price, but you lose flexibility if it's not lined up with the receiver rail.

MI seems to be the lower-cost favorite, but are wider than some, and some people complain about their weight.

YHM is the budget favorite in name brands.

If you don't mind no-name discount brands, the $60 UTG handguard (non-FF) has had very good reviews at arfcom from folks who actually own them, and comes with rail covers from most places. It's lighter than the MI, and users say it locks up very solid.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/UTG_2-Piece_Carbine_Length_4_Rail_Handguard_w__Rail_cove rs.html

02-25-2007, 5:53 PM
How about YHM 2 piece

Is it true for freefloat, you have cut the delta ring? What is involved in installing a FF??

I only get bits and pieces of info for instal of FF handguard. ANy help is appreciated.

02-26-2007, 3:29 AM
You sometimes have to cut the delta ring if the rail requires its own type of locking system or barrel nut or both. You can get around this by first removing the muzzle brake, then the FSB, then the delta ring itself. Many manufacturers suggest cutting the delta ring off with a Dremel because it's a real ***** taking off the FSB if you don't have the right tools.

02-26-2007, 10:48 AM
YHM stuff is of the best money-to-value ratio.

YHM 2-pc HG: Just replace original HG. None-FF.
YHM-9631: Free-float, must remove muzzle device, FSB and barrel nut to install.

MI stuff is also of good money-to-value ratio.

MCTAR-17: very similiar to YHM 2-pc. None-FF.
MCTAR-20's series: Free-float, only need to cut delta ring to install. Easier than YHM FFF.

50 Freak
02-26-2007, 10:58 AM
I have a set of used carbine length Knights RIS handguards I am thinking of selling for a good price if your interested. PM me if so.

02-26-2007, 12:33 PM
Get Daniel Defense or Knight's Armament....

Or wait till you have the $$ for them....

I wanted to get a Quad Rail System but don't want to spend too much. Is free-floating so much better (if so, what are the benefits?)?

Second, what do you guys think of YHM 2 piece Quad Rail CAR length???

02-26-2007, 1:26 PM
I would have to say wait and save your pennies then go buy a Knights Rail system. I have both a M4 and M5 RAS. Knights Rail system is also battle proven. You can't go wrong with that. :D

02-26-2007, 2:19 PM
Go with a midwest industries free float...They are super nice and cheap

02-26-2007, 2:22 PM
Go with a midwest industries free float...They are super nice and cheap

+1 on the MI. I have one at home waiting on my new upper that is coming in this Wed :D Another that I considered is the LaRue, but I kind of like the look of the MI and the price.

07-07-2007, 7:50 PM
If your goal is to built a bench rest rifle, then feel free to go with YHM or MI. If your goal is to build something you can trust your life to, avoid them like the plague.

When it comes to real world usage, the lighter you can make it without sacraficing accuracy the better.

In my case I am a weekend warrior who likes to take classes at Front Sight. This meant I would have to train with the rifle for 8 hour days in the hot Nevada sun for a minimum of 4 days in a row. Not as bad as what our troops have to do, but still it would seriously suck if lifting my rifle was like lifting weights at the gym. Besides, in comparison to them I'm an old man. I'm not 19 any more. So I need to stack the deck in my favor if I am going to play soldier for a week every six months to a year.

In my case I wanted a light and accurate M-4. Something that would not wear me out on day one of a four day course.

My first upper was too darn heavy. It was a civilian 16" barrel (which is really 16.5 not including the flash hider) with a 1/9 twist and had a free-floating YHM standard 4-rail tube. It was a monster to lift, and the free-floating handguard was wasted on the fact that the twist rate was too slow to handle the heavier more accurate ammo. It served no fuctional purpose. It just looked good to people who didn't know better.

So I sold the upper on Gunbroker.com to someone who could appricate it more than I would and replaced it with something lighter, shorter, and more fuctional.

The upper I replaced it with was 14.5 inches with a permently attached flash hider bringing it to the minimum legal length. 16.1 inches to be precise. It had a 1/7 twist rate for the heavier ammo, a chrome lined chamber and bore for longer life, and feed ramps to reduce the chance of a feeding failure.

Next I purchased the official GI Issue Knights Armament M4 Non-Free Floating 2 peice 4-rail handguards. They are lighter, and since this is non a bench rest or precision rifle I did not need free floating.

The end result is a light, practical semi-auto M-4 that is as close to the real thing as we civilians are legally allowed to own.

Now, if my goal was to build a precision rifle, i would still go with a high-end forend but this time free floating. 20 inch stanless steel barrels are the best for this type of .223/5.56 rifle. But I would probably build a clone of the Navy Seal Recon Rifle and use a 16" stainless steel barrel with a Daniel Defense FF Extended FSB 4-Rail Handguard. The KAC version is imposible to find, and is heavier than the Daniel Defense version. I know for a fact that the Seals have used them on some recon rifles. Unlike the ones you'll find in a google search, they do not use flip down front sights.

Good luck in your build. I hope your end result is something you'll be happy with for years to come.

07-07-2007, 7:57 PM
The MI railed handguards are a very good value.

07-07-2007, 8:01 PM
The US Army uses Daniel Defense on their Squad Designated Marksman Rifle (SDM-R). It is battle proven just like the Knight's Armament systems. Everything I have read says that their standard 4-rail systems are the lightest on the market. And their new "light" versions are even lighter, although I don't especially like their looks. If you must go free float, then get Daniel Defense. That way a day at the range or out sport shooting is not like a day at the gym.

07-07-2007, 8:17 PM
It's all about the Vltor CAS-V.

Lon Moer
07-07-2007, 8:46 PM
The one thing that I haven't seen here is why do you want a free-float railed handguard? The only reason for a FF is if you are planning on mounting optics or a laser sight on the rail.
If you just want a VFG/weapon light/sling or bipod mount, then most any of the railed hanguards will work fine, but they are all always compared to the KAC M4/M5 RAS.

07-08-2007, 7:38 AM
The one thing that I haven't seen here is why do you want a free-float railed handguard?

Freefloat handguards improve practical accuracy by removing the inconsistent stresses from the barrel.

Graphic courtesy of Ar15.com user Molon.

07-08-2007, 6:48 PM
What about Troy handguards? Are they good?

07-08-2007, 9:09 PM
Troy are GOOD STUFF.