PDA

View Full Version : AR takedown

neomedic
02-24-2007, 10:44 PM
Have anyone used KNS Quick Release take down pin and Quick Release Pivot Pin? If so, recommendations, suggestions, etc.

Also, what about extended Take Down Pin by Watson???

Thanks.

PLINK
02-24-2007, 10:57 PM
Watson Take down pins are nice, I have a few. I don't know anything KNS.

Prc329
02-24-2007, 11:03 PM
Get the Watson. I bought a set of the KNS takedown pins. Unless I got a bad set, there is no way to retain the pins in place once you open the upper like a normal take down pin. You you have to eliminate the detents and springs.

Stanky626
02-24-2007, 11:44 PM
The Watson fit perfectly in my AR and has a smooth release for easy takedowns. :)

Technical Ted
02-24-2007, 11:47 PM
Tits on a bull guys. Tits on a bull.

The QR pivot pins were designed for use on certain Colt lowers that used 0.250" pins but weren't drilled for the detent.

All OLL's use the USGI push out pivot pin.

DedEye
02-25-2007, 3:09 PM
I have a Watson pin. It was a bit tight at first even without an upper attached, but loosened up over time.

vikingshelmut
05-20-2007, 8:55 AM
Sorry to revive an old thread, but do they make something similar to the Watson for the front pivot pin? I'd like to be able to quickly separate the two halfs without any tools.

Full Clip
05-20-2007, 9:00 AM
I have two Watson rear pins and they work/fit great.

gn3hz3ku1*
05-20-2007, 9:00 AM
does the back one fit the front?

Technical Ted
05-20-2007, 9:33 AM
Sorry to revive an old thread, but do they make something similar to the Watson for the front pivot pin? I'd like to be able to quickly separate the two halfs without any tools.
Once the detent is broken in (A couple of dozen cycles at the most), the standard front pivot pin can be pushed in from the left and pulled out with the pin head on the right without a tool.

Same goes for the rear takedown pin.

Full Clip
05-20-2007, 9:56 AM
I have two Watsons, one on two different rifles.
Could one easily mod a Watson to use as a front pin? I don't know the differences on the channel, detent holes, etc...

psriley
05-20-2007, 10:49 AM
Bushmaster makes takedown pins specifically for toploaders. The head has a hole in it so you can insert a split ring, loop of paracord, etc. to pull with. They're a bit sticky when new, but end up working great.

DedEye
05-20-2007, 10:53 AM

I don't know about your AR, but I've never had any problems removing the front pivot pin without tools :shrug:.

supersonic
05-20-2007, 11:17 AM
go to fabten.com, you'll see it right in the middle of the page. hope that helps!
S.S.

-hanko
05-20-2007, 3:33 PM
Standard pins don't require tools. Most folks building oll's on this board apparently don't realize that any gun, no matter how easy or difficult the building process, might require a little hand fitting or work-in to get things smooth. Getting the upper/lower pins slick as nasal discharge does require hand fitting...to help with that, hand stones, sandpaper, lubricants, and oils are available. Army advises if the pins are hard to move after building or replacement, use a bullet tip as the tool. Buying somebody else's pins are a waste of money similar to the 'anti-walk' pins.

-hanko

pklin1297
05-20-2007, 5:10 PM
I've bought and installed two sets of Rock River lower parts kits and one set of Bushmaster lower parts kit. The front pivot pin and rear take down pins of both Rock River sets were very smooth and it only took a nudge on the left side to make the pin heads protrude a bit and then it is an easy removal from that point. The Bushmaster pins I had to use a hammer and punch on both to push out for disassembly. I bought two Watson rear take down pins and have used it on two lowers with no problems...
Because I have a bullet button installed now, I don't care what rear take down pin I use... :D

vikingshelmut
05-20-2007, 5:43 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I have a Watson rear, on a new Stag lower with an RRA LPK. The Watson was hard to slide out the first couple of times, but now seems easier. It was pointed out that the front pin should get easier to slide out as the parts are very new, so that should work fine. I was just curious if they made a specific pull pin like the Watson.

fairfaxjim
05-20-2007, 9:12 PM
It was pointed out that the front pin should get easier to slide out as the parts are very new, so that should work fine. I was just curious if they made a specific pull pin like the Watson.

Absolutely no need for one.