PDA

View Full Version : Denied! On Target range now requires "rifle permit" to shoot

shark92651
02-24-2007, 12:26 PM
I put on my Calguns.net T-shirt, printed out some of Grammaton's OLL flyers, packed up the rifle and drove out for some Sat afternoon shooting. They turned me away at the desk because they now require a "rifle permit" before you can shoot rifles. Apparently they have had a lot of damaged hangers and even had some rounds "leave the building" through the roof! :eek: I scheduled to take their $20 rifle class next Thurs to get the permit. Apparently this is a new policy as of Jan 1st, but I know I have shot my rifle there since then - I guess someone was not enforcing the policy on that day.

SkyMag68
02-24-2007, 12:34 PM
wow... that suck...never heard of that policy before until now.

CALI-gula
02-24-2007, 12:36 PM
I put on my Calguns.net T-shirt, printed out some of Grammaton's OLL flyers, packed up the rifle and drove out for some Sat afternoon shooting. They turned me away at the desk because they now require a "rifle permit" before you can shoot rifles. Apparently they have had a lot of damaged hangers and even had some rounds "leave the building" through the roof! :eek: I scheduled to take their $20 rifle class next Thurs to get the permit. Apparently this is a new policy as of Jan 1st, but I know I have shot my rifle there since then - I guess someone was not enforcing the policy on that day.

Well, for rifle, I would skip them and try to find an outdoor range. I've only taken rifles to indoor ranges when mainly going to the range to shoot handgun anyway. And then it was just a couple of rounds through the rifle for testing function, nothing more.

They are probably getting an increase and influx of novice OLL shooters showing up with .223 and 7.62X39 that may have limited experience in safe shooting.

But $20 buck for THEIR rifle permit class? I'd skip it. They'll proabably claim the $20 is for extra costs to repair the damage rifles cause and may actually be their way of trying to limit how many rifles show up at their range DUE to the increase in OLLs. But if you do take their class, it would be great to say "Teacher? Can you tell us about OLL rifles? We keep hearing so much about them!".

shark92651
02-24-2007, 12:44 PM
Well, for rifle, I would skip them and try to find an outdoor range. I've only taken rifles to indoor ranges when mainly going to the range to shoot handgun anyway. And then it was just a couple of rounds through the rifle for testing function, nothing more.

They are probably getting an increase and influx of novice OLL shooters showing up with .223 and 7.62X39 that may have limited experience in safe shooting.

But $20 buck for THEIR rifle permit class? I'd skip it. They'll proabably claim the $20 is for extra costs to repair the damage rifles cause and may actually be their way of trying to limit how many rifles show up at their range DUE to the increase in OLLs. But if you do take their class, it would be great to say "Teacher? Can you tell us about OLL rifles? We keep hearing so much about them!".

Yeah, I prefer to shoot outdoors but this place is only about 20 mins from the house and only about 10 mins from the office. I take a lot of coworkers out there to introduce them to shooting. The nearest outdoor range I know of is Burro Canyon and that is an hour away. Where else do people shoot outdoors that live in OC?

Budd
02-24-2007, 12:49 PM
Yeah, I prefer to shoot outdoors but this place is only about 20 mins from the house and only about 10 mins from the office. I take a lot of coworkers out there to introduce them to shooting. The nearest outdoor range I know of is Burro Canyon and that is an hour away. Where else do people shoot outdoors that live in OC?

Burro Canyon - yes an hour away but the lower rifle range is 200 yards. What is the range at the indoor?:confused:

WallySparx
02-24-2007, 1:04 PM
if it means not having to sign the rifle-use waiver every time i go in, i'm not completely opposed to it. unfortunately my job's relocated me from irvine to riverside, so i probably won't be visiting on target anytime soon.

Guinness
02-24-2007, 1:18 PM
Does their $20 permit expire?..

tankerman
02-24-2007, 1:36 PM
They told me about that last time I was there, But told me I could sign a damage waiver. I was trying out my OLL and I generally do not shoot rifles indoors and will not again, most of the DONKEYS were shooting Big 5 russian specials and having very little control. One guy even asked me to show him how to operate the rifle and wanted me to shoot the first round. I wish that place would be a little more selective in the arms the allow to be shot, for safety sake. Plus I shot maybe 50 rounds through my AR then wanted to finish up with a couple of pistols, well when you bring a rifle the put you on the rifle range and I can tell you that trying to shoot a pistol indoors with 30 cal rifles constantly going off on both side does not make for a very pleasant or accurate day at the range. I think I will be staying away from that place until the get their act together. My other choice is the Firing Line in Huntington Beach some of the guys that work there are nice, then you could end up with that older range manager that treats everyone like trash, regardless of how many times you have been there, the only other choice is Evan's and we all know what a joy that place is most of the time:eek:.
Anyone one with a few extra hundred grand around? We sure could use a decent range in OC.

shark92651
02-24-2007, 1:57 PM
Does their $20 permit expire?..

It's good for 2 years.

Prc329
02-24-2007, 2:29 PM
They started that fed 1. People were tearing up the range, shooting out lights, etc. At least that is what the range master told me late January.

JPN6336
02-25-2007, 12:17 AM
That's like they're brief period of shotgun allowance was ended by people using birdshot when their rules specified buck and slug only. I used to go there quite a bit but recently I've found myself driving the extra 20 minutes to Iron Sights. On Target isn't what they used to be.

maschronic
02-25-2007, 12:23 AM
the rifle permit does not expire. its a one time deal. i already got mine.

basically, they want to filter out the "bad people" who should not be shooting rifles there. during the month of january, they were informing people. starting Feb, they started to inforce it.

i think its a good idea. yes...i would rather go to the outdoor range, but when you live 10 minutes away, its easy access.

i go there to test out OLL builds or new rifle purchases. you really can't do much at a 25 yard range.

i was there tonite shooting my friends newly built OLL. we were the last ones to walk out of there. :)

tankerman
02-25-2007, 4:47 AM
That's like they're brief period of shotgun allowance was ended by people using birdshot when their rules specified buck and slug only. I used to go there quite a bit but recently I've found myself driving the extra 20 minutes to Iron Sights. On Target isn't what they used to be.

Where's Iron Sights?

E Pluribus Unum
02-25-2007, 9:28 AM
Our local indoor range has never allowed rifles for the same reason... the sides are not protected.

Rifles in pistol calibers are allowed though... kinda weird... they wont let me shoot my .223 but I can blast away with a .357 magnum.

WallySparx
02-25-2007, 10:00 AM
Where's Iron Sights?

down in oceanside.