PDA

View Full Version : Kel tec Bullpup .308 in action

KenpoProfessor
02-24-2007, 2:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9Xqa2vwq60&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ebullshido%2Enet%2Fforums%2 Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D51599

Thought this was interesting.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

xenophobe
02-24-2007, 2:39 AM
Neat. Wish I lived in a free state...

Richard
02-24-2007, 4:56 AM
Interesting and I really like Bull pups.....but 308 seems to be too much for that configuration. It seems to have a lot of rise, could be they need more culo behind the rifle::)

also something about the empties puking out in the front....maybe some more R&D.

nothing4u
02-24-2007, 5:01 AM
Interesting forward eject.

jp.cherokee
02-24-2007, 5:37 AM
It looks like the thing is pooping out the casings, strange, but I like it.:)

ask80
02-24-2007, 8:26 AM
at least if you're collecting your cases it'll make your job easier, since they dont' fly all over the place

DJDace
02-24-2007, 9:08 AM
When the older gent was firing at first I thought it looked like the recoil was pretty rough!

Then once the younger guy started shooting it didn't seem so extreme unless he was rattling off quick bursts.

I really like bull-pup configurations in rifles I wouldn't be shooting from a rest/sitting/prone position. Something about their compact design, ejection style and balance appeals to me ... maybe because I am a stocky guy and their stocky appearance makes me feel like a kindred spirit! :)

Oh and yeah .., sucks not being able to get them here :(

Turbinator
02-24-2007, 9:16 AM
Hmm, pretty interesting. I agree the ejection looks a little strange, but I can also see the upsides as per what others have said here. I just wonder, what happens if you are shooting upward, and the ejection channel gets filled with spent cases?

Turby

shark92651
02-24-2007, 9:18 AM
I'm not crazy about the way the casings fill up the tube and then all dribble out when you lower the rifle. I would prefer them to fully eject from the rifle after each round. This thing just needs a Bullet Button designed for it and then it is CA legal, right?

JPN6336
02-24-2007, 9:20 AM
The cases ejecting looks like a rodent poopoing.

Technical Ted
02-24-2007, 9:23 AM
Interesting forward eject.
Copied the FN 2000 ejection system

Outlaw
02-24-2007, 10:43 AM
Nice! I like bullpup designs.

Stanze
02-24-2007, 1:01 PM
Maybe because my wife/shooting buddy is a southpaw, but I can't believe no one's mentioned the amidextrous appeal of the forward ejecting casings.

The biggest flaw of the bullpup design is that most of them are not practical to left-handed/shouldered shooters.

HUTCH 7.62
02-24-2007, 1:10 PM
Cool; wish I did'nt live in Kommiefornia. But what happens when the ejection tube gets clogged.

alpha_romeo_XV
02-24-2007, 1:42 PM
I'd like to see what their targets looked like after, that's the bottom line for me.

Dont Tread on Me
02-24-2007, 1:46 PM
XXX Now lets see him shoot that from his left shoulder.... XXX

Scrub that, it looks like you can fire it from the left without getting a bolt in your face.

devjunk762
02-24-2007, 2:20 PM
Really don't like it all that much. The recoil impulse seems to throw the whole rifle off... I'm not sure if there's an imbalance in the rifle, or what. The forward ejection system is neato, IMHO.

However, does anyone know why Keltec went to such a strange design for this rifle? I had heard that Keltec was moving to a .308 caliber rifle, and always thought that they'd follow the design of the SU, but why did they develop this??? Marketing pressure from the chair-borne-ranger community? :rolleyes:

WallyGeorge
02-24-2007, 2:29 PM
I think this thing looks awesome!!!

I'm not 100% about the forward ejection system, but love how compact this rifle is, and that it takes easy to find FAL mags.

shark92651
02-24-2007, 2:43 PM
Really don't like it all that much. The recoil impulse seems to throw the whole rifle off... I'm not sure if there's an imbalance in the rifle, or what. The forward ejection system is neato, IMHO.

However, does anyone know why Keltec went to such a strange design for this rifle? I had heard that Keltec was moving to a .308 caliber rifle, and always thought that they'd follow the design of the SU, but why did they develop this??? Marketing pressure from the chair-borne-ranger community? :rolleyes:

I have an SU-16 but some of it's "neato" features I could, and have, done without. First to go was that flimsy folding bipod front stock; I replaced that with the compact forearm and a lightweight bipod. The other unique feature of allowing magazines to be stored in the stock also doesn't quite make the grade. It will hold an empty magazine but when I store a loaded magazine in there while shooting, either the poly or my Bushmasters, they always end up falling out and in the dirt. I would prefer if it just had a solid rear stock and a railed forearm out of the box. Perhaps because of these shortcomings and the desire to do something new they decided on the bullpup for this new offering.

DedEye
02-24-2007, 2:57 PM
Why wouldn't we be able to get those here? If you swapped the pistol grip for a MM style grip, how would it be different from any other featureless rifle :confused:?

thefurball
02-24-2007, 2:57 PM
I'm not big on the empty brass sort of dribbling out the front. Looks like all sorts of possibilities for them to get backed up and jam.

Prc329
02-24-2007, 3:01 PM
The forward eject looks like it could be a problem. It also looks like its a heavy recoiling rifle.

laabstract
02-24-2007, 3:04 PM
looks very fun

|-007-|
02-24-2007, 3:08 PM
It seems almost like you could hit an ejecting shell with a bullet. But, I do like the design otherwise. At least you won't hit other shooters at the range with your casings.

dondo
02-24-2007, 6:58 PM
It looks like a stray bullet hit the wall next to where the shooter stands.

shark92651
02-24-2007, 7:18 PM
Why wouldn't we be able to get those here? If you swapped the pistol grip for a MM style grip, how would it be different from any other featureless rifle :confused:?

I think the problem is that those mods would have to be done out of state before any FFL would ship it in.

cornholio1
02-24-2007, 8:14 PM
Wonder if there would be a problem shooting it straight up in the air or even at an upward incline.

aklover_91
02-25-2007, 12:33 AM
Well, that ejection system is copied from the FN2000, and I coulda sworn I read some where that one of the big reasons we didn't really buy any was because when we tested them they started to jam when you pointed them up and the lack of an ejection port (a traditional one) made it a ***** to clear jams.

jumbopanda
02-25-2007, 1:12 AM
Don't really like the ejection because as many of you mentioned, there are so many things that could go wrong with it. Seems like a bit of dirt or mud could easily cause it to jam. The only benefit is that it makes the job of policing your brass at the range much easier.

xenophobe
02-25-2007, 1:50 AM
For the people who say it "looks like it has a recoil problem" have never shot a HK91 or G3. It doesn't look too bad for a .308.

cornholio1
02-25-2007, 6:41 AM
For the people who say it "looks like it has a recoil problem" have never shot a HK91 or G3. It doesn't look too bad for a .308.

Your right, the HK91 recoils much. I was considering acquiring one until I shot it. Doesn't feel very good IMO and recoil felt unrefined. The FAL on the other hand was a smooth operator.

M. Sage
02-25-2007, 8:55 AM
Well, that ejection system is copied from the FN2000, and I coulda sworn I read some where that one of the big reasons we didn't really buy any was because when we tested them they started to jam when you pointed them up and the lack of an ejection port (a traditional one) made it a ***** to clear jams.

I wouldn't say it was "copied" since it doesn't look like it operates in exactly the same way.

Watch the video again closely, especially when they pull the charging handle back. There's a sliding door that gives access to the ejection port on the right side of the rifle when you pull the charging handle back.

Things I like: Bullpup design. Charging handle on the left side. In .308. :D

Things I don't: Bullpups won't fly easily in CA (not their fault.) In .308. Kel Tec rifles don't have a great reputation for strength.

Yeah, I like .308's power more, but shooting .223 kinda spoiled me.

grammaton76
02-26-2007, 6:21 PM
Can't view the vid since I'm at work (plugin issue, not blockage issue) - but, I think I would've preferred that they stole the PS90's brass ejection setup. Straight down from the action, none of this forward dribbling stuff.

xenophobe
02-26-2007, 6:30 PM
Your right, the HK91 recoils much. I was considering acquiring one until I shot it. Doesn't feel very good IMO and recoil felt unrefined. The FAL on the other hand was a smooth operator.

Yeah, I don't really care to shoot my G3. Even my .308 Galil had more manageable recoil. I wish I would have spent the 3K I dropped on my rifle before the ban on other rifles... oh well.