PDA

View Full Version : delete

STAGE 2
02-24-2007, 1:48 AM
delete

Mssr. Eleganté
02-24-2007, 2:02 AM
I'm going to go with the fixed mag route, and am wondering if the bullet tip product is on the market yet?

I believe Ten Percent Firearms sells the new Bullet Button as well as the original Prince 50 kit...

http://www.tenpercentfirearms.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=265

Secondly, in keeping with my love for military firearms, this is going to be a stock AR build. I'd like this thing to look and operate as close as possible to a standard AR 15, meaning fixed carry handle, chrome lined barrel etc. So, given my preferences, what is the best quality lower/upper combo for what I'm looking to build.

The current military standard has a detachable carry handle. What era AR15 are you looking to replicate? You can go early Viet Nam, late Viet Nam, GWI, GWII. There are many different configurations for "standard" AR15's. Which one do you like best?

As an aside, I was wondering why I don't read alot about colt uppers here. Are the poor quality or just too pricy?

I'm not really sure about that. Colt has said that they don't want to produce firearms for "civilians". Maybe they are harder to find or maybe folks don't want to support that kind of attitude.

Mssr. Eleganté
02-24-2007, 2:28 AM
I'd like to shoot for whatever is the most reliable of the variants, latest in time, but with no detachable junk or rails for aimpoints and such.

I'm not going for the retro triangle handguard vietnam era AR, just a modern looking reliable variant.

Post Viet Nam and pre detachable junk would point to an M16A2 style rifle...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e4/Usarmy_m16a2.jpg

tenpercentfirearms
02-24-2007, 6:56 AM
So the main question is do you want to go 16" M4 or 20" A2?

I highly recommend Stag for a good no frills, good quality, decently priced build.

So for M4 get

1. Stag 1H 16" Upper
2. Stag Tactical Collapsible Buttstock
3. Stag or RRA LPK
4. Bullet Button Package

So for A2 get
1. Stag 4H 20" Upper
2. RRA Fixed A2 Buttstock
3. Stag or RRA LPK
4 Bullet Button Package

I have all of those items with the exception I am currently out of the Stag 4H but one should be arriving soon.

paradox
02-24-2007, 7:44 AM
So the main question is do you want to go 16" M4 or 20" A2?

I highly recommend Stag for a good no frills, good quality, decently priced build.

But all stags have detachable junk :D

I think he want's an A1 or A2 upper. He should really find some EBR addicts around him and see the differences in person. Personally, I like the rugged simplicity of an A1 upper reciever.

tenpercentfirearms
02-24-2007, 7:57 AM
He doesn't know what he wants! He wants a removable carry handle. :D

No seriously, if you can handle the two nuts hanging off the side of the rifle (and they don't really get in the way), then go with a removable carryhandle. Some day you are going to want to have the option of adding some optics and when you do, you might not want to have to sell an A2 style upper with a fixed carry handle in order to do it in most efficient manner.

If you don't want a removable, then go with a RRA upper then. I still recommend Stag and removable.

Prc329
02-24-2007, 8:00 PM
This is the one i ordered

NM Upper (http://www.rockriverarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=AR0775X&storeid=1&image=unma2407.gif&CFID=35335792&CFTOKEN=29052284)

I gotta wait 5 weeks for it :( Darn backorder. I got a very good price from a seller at ar15.com

From what I understand about the Wylde chamber is it is supposed to be more compatible with the most amount of 223 or 556 ammo. From my understanding it will not mess with reliability.

shark92651
02-24-2007, 8:10 PM
I would go with a barrel chambered for 5.56. Correct me if I am wrong guys, but I'm pretty sure you can shoot .223 with a 5.56 barrel but not the other way around. A chrome lined barrel is easier to clean and lasts a lot longer. I heard, though, that it may come at the expense of accuracy but I also hear that if you get it from a good quality mfg then the tolerances are very good and you will get fine accuracy with it.

tenpercentfirearms
02-24-2007, 8:21 PM
If you want a 1:7" twist, you might have to go with a CMMG. I believe the .223 Wylde chamber is tighter so you might not be able to shoot some 5.56mm through it. I would recommend sticking to a 5.56mm chamber.

Technical Ted
02-24-2007, 8:31 PM
If this is the case, would bushmaster be a good substitute?
For an M16A2 clone, a Bushmaster upper would be a fine choice. BFI is even known to do occassional runs of 1:7 twist government profile barrels (their standard is 1:9 like most commercial manufacturers). You'll need to call them up and check when they'll be available: it's not something they publish in their catalog or on their website.

paradox
02-25-2007, 8:19 AM
He doesn't know what he wants! He wants a removable carry handle. :D

You're a ****ty salesman Wes. You need to sell him what he thinks he needs, then when he realizes that he might need something different, you sell him a new upper. Then when he *****es about having to swap uppers, you sell him a new lower. When he comes in after his ten day wait, show him the newest, fanciest, upper that just came in....

:D

To the OP, CMMG is good stuff, and you can get whatever style you wish.