PDA

View Full Version : Most comfortable, accurate, non-revolver?

brighamr
02-23-2007, 11:59 PM
I'm looking at buying a handgun for carry purposes. I want something that's comfortable to shoot, very accurate and not a billion dollars. Definitely want to use mags and I'm open for customizations. What's your opinion? I know everyone says 'try them for yourself' but none of the ranges I've ever been to have 1911, xd, glock 17l, etc, etc. They usually have a couple S&W revolvers which are ok, but I like the 10+1 capabilities of the aforementioned pistols. Please give me your opinions.

randy
02-24-2007, 12:33 AM
You're going to the wrong ranges.

Oaktree Gun Club has at least a half a dozen smaller frame guns for rent

aca72
02-24-2007, 1:15 AM
"comfortable to shoot, very accurate"- get a SIG Sauer
"and not a billion dollars"- get a used or CPO SIG Sauer

The SoCal Gunner
02-24-2007, 1:39 AM
"comfortable to shoot, very accurate"- get a SIG Sauer
"and not a billion dollars"- get a used or CPO SIG Sauer

Sounds good to me. I've got 7 more days before I pick up my P220st. I keep hearing it is the most accurate 45 out of the box. Of course the 220 is quite big to carry but you can opt for a 220 carry model though it still wouldn't meet your 10+1 round capacity liking.

And yes you are going to the wrong ranges. I wouldn't believe it if someone told me their range did not have an XD.

ghideon
02-24-2007, 4:03 AM
SIG P239 is a nice compact. 8 rounds for the 9mm in flush fit mags tho, and 7 IIRC for 357/40 cal, so it might be a little less capacity then you had in mind. For the 9mm they make 10rnd mags which might fit your hand better. My GF loves her 239, but the 9mm SA 1911 is starting to really grow on her.

Miltiades
02-24-2007, 5:27 AM
I'm looking at buying a handgun for carry purposes. I want something that's comfortable to shoot, very accurate and not a billion dollars. Definitely want to use mags and I'm open for customizations.

You seem to want a semiauto with 10 round magazines that is small enough for carry but big enough for accuracy and comfort in shooting. You also don't want a lot of recoil (the comfort factor?) and don't want to pay too much (perhaps a $500 - $600 price limit?).

I'm going to guess that 9mm is your best caliber choice and you want a gun with somewhat contoured grips that conform to the hand, based on your "comfort" comment. I would tend to eliminate Glocks from consideration, as they tend to have squarish, uncomfortable grips (I have 2 of them). And most Sigs, although they have grips that feel good and are accurate guns, tend to go for more than $600 when new.

Two guns which fit this spec are the CZ P01 and the Walther P99. The CZ is made in the Czech Republic and has a very comfortable grip, 3.9 inch barrel, aluminum frame and 27 ounce weight. It has an excellent reputation and is quite compact in size for easy carry. The Walther P99 has a polymer frame, 4 inch barrel and 25 ounce weight, with one of the most comfortable grips I have felt. Here are pictures of them:

http://www.cz-usa.com/data/productimg/main028.png

http://www.haguesgunrange.com/sales/handguns/walther/p99.jpg

maxicon
02-24-2007, 9:30 AM
One question for a carry gun is whether you want a fat gun or a skinny gun.

Many 10 round compacts or subcompacts are going to be double-stacks and relatively fat, like the various Glocks, XDs, CZ, etc. Single stacks are a lot slimmer, like 1911-style, Sig P239, Kahr, etc, but are not as readily available in 10 rounds. The P239 has 10 round mags available, as ghideon said, and lots of people like them.

Next question is whether you want a heavy gun or a light gun. If you want less than 30 oz loaded, that narrows the field quite a lot to things like the Kahr and sub-compact Glocks. If you don't mind the heavier weights, there are lots of options, but yeah, you really do need to shoot some to see how they feel.

Outlaw
02-24-2007, 10:34 AM
The most comfortable, solid, and accurate I've shot and have would be the Baby Desert Eagle. There is a 9mm compact that holds 10rds and approved in Kaliban. Try one out. I've tried a CZ, 1911, FNP40, HK USP 9 compact, Glock 20 and others but the BE was my favorite and still is, because it fits my hand the best and I can shoot the straightest with it.
http://www.magnumresearch.com/products/BE_Compact_Matt-Black.jpg
Handguns are a personal thing, you have to go out and try them out. Like tools, it depends on your applications...

laabstract
02-24-2007, 11:09 AM
just go glock 19 (9mm) or Glock 32 (.357 Sig) both with 10 round capacity.

http://www.davesguns.com/serverpics/FirearmsPage/Glock-19-OD-01.jpg

pksman
02-24-2007, 11:32 AM
Dont know were you live, but La Peunte Gun Range has a nice selection of pistols to try. They include several 1911's lots of Glocks, XD's and Ruger revolvers. Becareful with the 1911's cuz you will want a couple.:eek:

PistolPete75
02-24-2007, 11:42 AM
i say used sig 229, you can get for like 5 hundred. glock 19 new is gonna cost you about the same, so go for a clean used 229

dfletcher
02-24-2007, 11:45 AM
My opinion is that a 10 round gun in a caliber suited for defense makes the gun too bulky for regular concealed carry.

I'm 6'4" and under 200 lbs - many places to hide a gun. A single stack Detonics or an AMT Back up, each in 45 ACP, is easily hid IWB with a casual shirt over it. My 3" Para P10 is just too bulky. I'm sure you could cut down by going to a 40 or 9, but not by a whole lot. I don't think the outside chance of needing 10 rounds is a plus when compared to the extra bulk carried every day.

So far as accuracy is concerned - given that I have an AMT DAO Back Up the good guess is accuracy is not high on the list. I admit the AMT is stretching it a bit, but 100% reliability is I think more important.

I haven't lived in CA all my life so have had the opportunity to legally carry concealed for more than a few years. I started with a Commander, then a Model 19 and have over the years most often used the AMT and a J frame Smith (Model 49 or 640) in 38 Special.

brighamr
02-24-2007, 12:26 PM
thanks for all the informative replies. I hadn't ever heard of the CZ or the Walther P99, but I'm liking the P99. Unfortunately I live in modesto and I've been to about 6 ranges in modesto, elk grove, manteca, farmington, and sacramento. None of them have more than one or two pistols for rent. If anyone can recommend a range within 80 miles of Modesto, I really would like to try them out.

As far as the other questions, skinny or fat is fine. I'll be using a shoulder holster for my main piece with a very compact gun on my ankle (buying the main piece first).

I also have a question about the glock nineteen. I've heard it's easy to customize, is that true? The only glocks I've ever shot weren't sub-compact, and they were'nt the most accurate. (My brothers SW revolver is dead on up to 50 yards). I appreciate all the input, this is really helping me to narrow down the choices.

kilword
02-24-2007, 1:15 PM
dude CZ hands down.
CZ75 is the most issued sidearm to forces around the world.
nato has some of the strickest handgun testing and the P01 is now there winner over the older cz75b.
they are scary accurate!
have a SP01 myself and it is beyond awesome.
and they are actual metal guns! lol not plastic...nothing agaist plastic but i perfer a good metal gun myself.

C.G.
02-24-2007, 1:55 PM
What is comfortable is relative, depending on the size of your hands etc. You should go out to a range, rent few of the models in which you have an interest and decide what is comfortable for you.

maxicon
02-24-2007, 8:25 PM
A good shoulder holster helps keep the weight thing under control, and you can carry a heavier gun that is practical in an IWB or belt holster.

Depending on your build and your mode of dress, and whether you're talking about a horizontal or vertical shoulder holster, a shoulder holster can be more difficult to conceal with a bulky pistol, especially in summer.

rix
02-24-2007, 10:30 PM
thanks for all the informative replies. I hadn't ever heard of the CZ or the Walther P99, but I'm liking the P99. Unfortunately I live in modesto and I've been to about 6 ranges in modesto, elk grove, manteca, farmington, and sacramento. None of them have more than one or two pistols for rent. If anyone can recommend a range within 80 miles of Modesto, I really would like to try them out.
Did you miss " Ronning Arms" on Yosmite bvld in Modesto ? They usually have quite a few firearms to try. Of coarse I haven't rented gun in years ,so maybe I'm missing something.