PDA

View Full Version : Need a little help need from the black rifle gunsmiths

ChuckG
02-23-2007, 6:21 PM
Or any prospective black rifle gunsmiths out there..

I am having an issue with a new upper I just received today. The problem is the carrier will not catch on an empty magazine when the charging handle is pulled.

The carrier on my other upper catches on this lower and magazine.. or at least it did before I sent that upper off for barrel service. Since that upper is back at the manufacturer right now I can't really verify functionality of the lower. But I had the entire thing at the range prior to sending my original upper off.. so I'm pretty sure the lower is OK.

If I separate the receivers, the magazine spring is definitely pushing the follower all the way up so the carrier catch (wording?) is extended all the way to the end of it's available travel. It's almost like when the two receivers are assembled together the carrier is compressing the magazine follower too much. Which in turn won't allow the follower to push the carrier catch all the way up.

But even when I force the catch manually to it's max travel... it is iffy as to whether it will even catch, and when it does, the carrier is hanging by a hair so that sometimes it slams home on it's own. The same problem occurs when I use the original carrier and bolt in the new upper... or even a brand new magazine.

These should all be mil spec parts.. the lower in question is a Stag, the original upper is CMT. The new upper from Barrett and I'm not sure who makes it but they deliver (or at least to) these uppers directly to the .mil.

I plan on contacting the Barrett on Monday, but I was hoping to make it to the range this weekend. So if anyone knows of something easy I might be missing.. you're suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Paul
02-23-2007, 6:41 PM
Wow that's an odd one.

When the bolt carrier is fully aft on an empty magazine the magazine follower pushes the bolt catch up and it will catch the face of the bolt - not the carrier. If you pull the charging handle back retracting the bolt and bolt carrier you ought to be able to look into the ejection port and see the magazine and bolt catch popping up - high - high enough to catch the bolt. The bolt is twisted in the carrier and is extended that 3/4" and will catch the bolt catch well before the carrier.

ChuckG
02-23-2007, 6:54 PM
Wow that's an odd one.

When the bolt carrier is fully aft on an empty magazine the magazine follower pushes the bolt catch up and it will catch the face of the bolt - not the carrier.

I think this is the problem.. the bolt will not retract past the catch. I didn't realize the catch catches the bolt and not the carrier. Likely this is has something to do with the fact that I just changed the stock (which I conveniently forgot).. maybe I have the wrong spring/buffer length combo. I'm putting it back to old configuration real quick to see if it makes a difference.

ChuckG
02-23-2007, 7:02 PM
OK... that was it. I had the a full length spring in a retracable stock that requires a CAR length spring.. DOH.

Thank you both very much for the replies... I would have never figured this out without your help!