PDA

View Full Version : 9mm or .40 Carbine

Wildhawk66
02-23-2007, 4:32 PM
I'm going to purchase one of the Ruger Police Ghost Ring carbines and need help deciding the caliber to buy, 9mm or .40. I know the handgun caliber debate has been done to death, but I thought you guys might be able to provide some additional insight regarding carbines. My new carbine will see some plinking action and some home defense use and since I have both 9mm and .40 full size handguns that I shoot regulary, I was hoping someone could persuade me one way or the other. Thanks in advance. No caliber flame wars please.

Shane916
02-23-2007, 4:40 PM
I'd say depends on how much plinking you do :) With 9mm about $3 cheaper per box the saved cost on ammo would be significant after a while. I have always liked the 9mm for carbines as it is a more popular round for all firearms.

Vigilante
02-25-2007, 2:50 PM
and since I have both 9mm and .40 full size handguns that I shoot regulary
Are any of those handguns rugers? If so I'd pick the caliber that you already have magazines for.

And since you mentioned home defense as an issue, you may look into getting the PC4 for some extra "knock-down" power.

BTW I love my PC9

AJAX22
02-25-2007, 2:58 PM
I like 9 because I have more magazines for 9mm than for .40, and I like having commonly available calibre's. (yes .40 is pretty common, but 9mm you can get Anywhere)

plus you get a bit more power out of a carbine barrel so the 9 isn't quite as lacking as you might think.

if you can't get the job done with 32 rounds of 9mm, you have serious problems.

I'm working on a OLY style 9mm carbine to use some of my sten mags, parts are cheap and it should be good for checking out what goes bump in the night.

maxicon
02-25-2007, 3:49 PM
I also have a PC9, because I have a P95 and a big pile of mags, and 9mm is cheaper to shoot. It's the only one that made sense for me, since I don't currently have anything in .40.

KenpoProfessor
02-25-2007, 4:49 PM
Well, I had/have two S&W Sigmas in .40 so the logical choice was to get a rifle in that caliber. I love my PC4, and it's detachable mags LOL.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Ironballs
02-25-2007, 4:58 PM
I was really thinking of one of those, but i read so much about the bigger than expected recoil in the PC series, and the last time i took my G35 to hit metal plates, i was deadly accurate as far out as i could make out the target...

Answer.. Pass, and get a Glock35. ;)

lazyworm
02-25-2007, 7:48 PM
I have a PC4 with Ghost Ring which I got a few years ago that was modified to take Glock mags.

May I ask how you get it converted? I never got a PC4 or PC9 because I didn't want to start acquiring new type of mags.

Wildhawk66
02-25-2007, 8:40 PM
I'd also love to know how do go ahead with the conversion. My 9mm handgun is a Glock 17, so this would definately push me toward a PC9 rather than a .40.

threadcrapper
02-25-2007, 10:37 PM
Ruger stopped production on both the PC9 & PC4. You might want to get both while you have the chance. They're excellent rifles and the 40. I own with Ghost rings is great. I have used the PC9 with regular sights and those are just great, too. The supply of these babies will dry up, so get them while you can.

Morales
02-25-2007, 11:40 PM
If you want home defense, then there is not reason not to go .40 S&W. In fact, there is really no reason not to use a caliber greater than 9mm unless you are concerned about cost. Even the world's military's are abandoning that caliber, and we all know how much it takes to get military authorities to change an infantry impliment.