View Full Version : what's involved in a FTF transfer, rifle for a pistol?

02-23-2007, 4:05 PM
I've bought a couple rifles recently and want to trade one for a G17. The only problem is, I'm not sure if all the rules apply to FTFs as they do to just buying a handgun (meaning, would I still need to take the handgun safety course, wait 15 days, sign the 'safe pistol list' in blood, etc.) Or, is it easier doing FTF?

02-23-2007, 4:26 PM
you need a HSC handgun safety certificate 25 bucks i think, it's a 30 multiple choice questions about handgun safety. they sell study guide for like $1.5. But most people will pass it. then you also need a proof of residency, a cable bill or rent bill will do. and you do have to wait that 10 days period. and the fee for a private person transfer varies, most charge 35 bucks. hope this helps. forgot to say , the transfer must be done at a FFL dealer, cant do it FTF.

02-23-2007, 4:33 PM
HSC is super easy but heres the info.


You can also use your vehicle registration as proof for handguns.

02-23-2007, 5:09 PM
thank's for the replies, I'm intending to do a FTF at an FFL. I guess it's time to go take the test :D

02-23-2007, 8:49 PM
Don't forget a pistol lock if you don't own an approved gun safe. Some places like Turner's will make you buy one.

02-23-2007, 9:06 PM
Hsc is pretty easy. I read the handbook and took the test about 4 months later(didn't really help unless you have insane memory). I got a perfect score, most pretty simple. The only ones I had some trouble on weren't even in the book though- got them right through process of elimination and reason. Skim through it and you should be good. Good luck.