PDA

View Full Version : Canners: How to get 60lbs of turkey for $18.00 dollars

problemchild
11-17-2011, 4:57 PM
Ok so here is my secret.

No purchase necessary for the.39c price on the birds.

Every Nov. about 1 week before Thanksgiving Fresh N Easy puts turkeys on sale for .39c/LB. If you have one of their $5.00 off coupons you can get 4 turkeys for about 18 dollars. They say the limit is 2 but I bring my wife and if they biatch about it I say she is my neighbor and we are pooling our resources to use the coupon. The coupon requires that you buy 25 dollars of food for the 5 off. I had to buy some coffee anyway so that put me over the 25 minimum.

I cant wait to can it all up. Ill be eating turkey for 6 months.:D

http://www.freshandeasy.com/Content/images/Home/WeeklySpecials_turkey_Pod.jpg

$10 off on 50 or more coupon
http://www.freshandeasy.com/Content/pdfs/coupons/10off50_11022011.pdf?source=email

$5.00 off 25 or more
http://freshandeasy.com/Content/pdfs/coupons/fne5off20coupon_20101019.pdf

Got Stuff?
11-17-2011, 6:07 PM
Nice!

Oh yea, and thanks for the info!

HIG541
11-17-2011, 6:54 PM
how do you go about canning turkey? its not acidic so do you do pressure canning?

FatCity67
11-17-2011, 8:02 PM
how do you go about canning turkey? its not acidic so do you do pressure canning?

You need to read some of his canning threads.

He is the Survival Martha Stewart of this forum.

I mean that in a good way not the go to federal prison way.

five.five-six
11-17-2011, 8:04 PM
I mean that in a good way not the go to federal prison way.

:rofl2:

HIG541
11-17-2011, 8:09 PM
cool. hey, if you are interested, i work with a guy who raises and sells pigs and sheep.

bob7122
11-17-2011, 8:24 PM
thanks for the info. i will definitely do this.

GMG
11-17-2011, 8:26 PM
cool. hey, if you are interested, i work with a guy who raises and sells pigs and sheep.

Are the sheep virgins ?

vmonkey
11-17-2011, 9:38 PM
I know you baked the turkey on your test run with good results. Frying the this many turkeys might make sense too. Much faster, 45 min if I recall for a good size bird. Doing 3 in a row (4 if you do this on Thanksgiving for dinner), would put the expensive oil to good use.

Good luck!

brianinca
11-17-2011, 10:31 PM
You're forgetting that when you're done, all you have to show for your effort is turkey. Chicken isn't as cheap but tastes better to us.......but anyway, no one has mentioned spatchcocking and smoking a turkey on the grill.

I have access to unlimited hardwood oak (not spongy swampy valley oak) and it turns out any cheapo turkey tastes freaking fantastic when gently smoked with oak. Any stone fruit wood should work as well, peach/nectarine/plum. A good buddy of mine has a "commercial" smoker and he uses an applewood combo pelletized product. Same idea, hardwood without creosote (I'm looking at you, mesquite grillers!).

For all the beta testing we did the last month, we're going to default back to smoked duck for "specialness" and flavor, but if you dig turkey, there are a TON of inventive and creative ways to cook it.

Please DO beta test before the big day! I've never understood the imperative to try cooking something unfamiliar when you have 20 people waiting to be fed!

Regards,
Brian in CA

problemchild
11-18-2011, 8:31 AM
You're forgetting that when you're done, all you have to show for your effort is turkey. Chicken isn't as cheap but tastes better to us.......but anyway, no one has mentioned spatchcocking and smoking a turkey on the grill.

I have access to unlimited hardwood oak (not spongy swampy valley oak) and it turns out any cheapo turkey tastes freaking fantastic when gently smoked with oak. Any stone fruit wood should work as well, peach/nectarine/plum. A good buddy of mine has a "commercial" smoker and he uses an applewood combo pelletized product. Same idea, hardwood without creosote (I'm looking at you, mesquite grillers!).

For all the beta testing we did the last month, we're going to default back to smoked duck for "specialness" and flavor, but if you dig turkey, there are a TON of inventive and creative ways to cook it.

Please DO beta test before the big day! I've never understood the imperative to try cooking something unfamiliar when you have 20 people waiting to be fed!

Regards,
Brian in CA

Man I love turkey. I make turkey chili, turkey sandwiches, turkey enchiladas, baked turkey stew.

I have a smoker and smoked my turkey last year with applewood. Came out pretty good. I have never oil cooked a turkey. Oil is too costly at 12,000/gallon.

REPR
11-18-2011, 10:13 AM
Going to have to plug in one of the freezers and load it on up with turkey that cheap. Now just to get a good loaf of sourdough for sandwiches.

ns3v3n
11-18-2011, 10:45 AM
Have you tried buying 4 already with the coupon? or is this just a theory that might work?

Shellshocker66
11-18-2011, 11:55 AM
I'm still waiting for a posting from Problemchilds wife in the "for sale" section! I want to see him go on sale for 2 day blocks to come to my house and cook for me!

problemchild
11-18-2011, 2:01 PM
Have you tried buying 4 already with the coupon? or is this just a theory that might work?

I have bought 6 of them so far this year. I bought 12 last year.

The 5 off is for ANY order of food over 25 dollars. If you read the coupon I posted you will understand.

The birds are .39c with/without coupon.

ns3v3n
11-18-2011, 3:01 PM
ah i see, Thanks pc, might to stock up some for myself!

problemchild
11-18-2011, 6:44 PM
ah i see, Thanks pc, might to stock up some for myself!

If you sign up for the points/friends program (https://friends.freshandeasy.com/microsite/)at Fresh N Easy you save even more money. Its worth it.

Dutch3
11-18-2011, 8:25 PM
I honestly do not care for turkey (or chicken for that matter), but do eat it as it is generally quite inexpensive this time of year. I will put a few turkeys in the freezer each year when they go "on clearance" and then cook one every month or so.

I haven't tried smoking one, sounds like a project I would like to try.

CSACANNONEER
11-18-2011, 8:30 PM
Are the sheep virgins ?

It never mattered to you before. Why should it make a difference now?

JaMail
11-18-2011, 8:35 PM
i like my sheep experienced.

Fireguy
11-18-2011, 11:52 PM
PC is there a way to put all your smoking, canning and other tips in a sticky type file? For those computer guys rolling their eyes over the question, I just used all my computer skills to type this.

problemchild
11-19-2011, 7:22 AM
PC is there a way to put all your smoking, canning and other tips in a sticky type file? For those computer guys rolling their eyes over the question, I just used all my computer skills to type this.

Someone mentioned a blog. The problem is I'm not a writer. I probably misspell more than I get right.

cineski
11-19-2011, 7:59 AM
We just bought our turkeys. Albertsons is running a buy one get one for a dollar if you spend $25. Ended up getting over 50 pounds of turkey for $25 plus the other groceries.

h0use
11-19-2011, 9:24 AM
thanks! i am going to try to can some turkeys! fry one up and make some jerky!

AhSpray
11-19-2011, 1:31 PM
We just bought our turkeys. Albertsons is running a buy one get one for a dollar if you spend $25. Ended up getting over 50 pounds of turkey for $25 plus the other groceries.

Umm... so are you pointing out that there are other turkey deals out there? Or do Ron Paul supporters prefer paying $.50 per pound over paying $.39 per pound?

Just funnin' - don't get your drumsticks in a bunch. ;)

cineski
11-19-2011, 6:52 PM
;-). Show me a better deal in my hood where I won't lose out on gas get a turkey for $.39 per pound!