PDA

View Full Version : Woodman's Pal... Not too impressed with it.

TrailerparkTrash
11-16-2011, 10:55 PM
I bought one of these and gave it an honest use test for the past year....

http://www.lifeviewoutdoors.com/images/detailed/1/Woodmans-Pal-481-Classic-Machete.jpg

Well, I'd have to say that I'm not too impressed with it. When swinging it at tree limbs, it doesn't feel balanced that well at all. I used it to chop/shave fire kindling, clearing some vegitation to set up tents and hunting blinds etc... The manufacturer claims that it's "the best."

I'd have to say that the Kukri I tried only ONCE, felt much better when chopping light branches and clearing some tree limbs above my RV. I tried it to chop up some kindling for a fire and it flowed through the air striking my target with a much better feel to it. It had a better swing, better balance and overall, better feel. I guess that's why the Gurkhas have been using the Kukri since King Tut was a corporal in the Egyptian Army. :D

http://www.haitian-truth.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/article-1126723-0325FEE4000005DC-233_468x286.jpg

I'll keep the Woodman's Pal in my tool box, but I think I'd have to recommend the Kukri, even though I don't own one of those yet. I couldn't decide if a Kukri would be better over a standard machette, but many here said the Kukri is king. Now I just have to go buy a Kukri and give that a test for a year! ;)

ExAcHog
11-16-2011, 11:01 PM
That's disappointing to hear. I have always wanted a Woodsman's Pal. I guess I will still try to find the Machete or Kukri that has the right feel to it.

Thanks for the test/info!

wjc
11-17-2011, 11:44 AM
I'll stick with my standard issue machete.

TrailerparkTrash, did you ever get that ColdSteel Kukri you were looking at?

ocmsrzr
11-17-2011, 11:51 AM
I am a huge Kukri fan, about the only cons to them, IMHO, is their weight and sheathing/unsheathing in the traditional sheath is a pain in the ***.

The Cold Steel Kukri is fine, the real kukri not their machete versions, but if you are looking for a more traditional kukri these people have some the best to be found.

http://www.himalayan-imports.com/

socalsteve
11-17-2011, 12:27 PM
I bought my Woodsmans Pal around 1980. Back then it was one of the best light choppers available.

Most people had those flimsy cheap machetes and compared to them the Pal was great. But it cost around $45 (it was a long time ago) and that was expensive back then.

Kukri's weren't common - although my brother gave me one he bought during the early 70's when he was in India in the USN. I think it was sold more as a souvenir than a user.

Is it still made in the USA?

I used a file and shaped the handle so there was an indent for my little finger near the end where the wood handle curvess down. This made it feel a lot better in my hand.

TrailerparkTrash
11-17-2011, 5:50 PM
TrailerparkTrash, did you ever get that ColdSteel Kukri you were looking at?

wjc,,,,, No not yet. I'll be ordering it probably this weekend when I have some free time away from work and CalGuns! :D:D:D I will NOT get rid of my Woodman's Pal however. I'll probably let my dog chew on it. :D

QQQ
11-18-2011, 12:10 AM
+1 for Himalayan Imports

akjunkie
11-18-2011, 5:47 AM
Hmm, i was on the fence between the Woodsman Pal or the Parang. Guess I'll get the Parang. (not the one from Gerber/Bear tho)