PDA

View Full Version : AR15 build list

franco802
02-23-2007, 11:47 AM
Ok guys, I will have rounded up just enough bucks to buy everything for my AR15 build up in about a week or so. This will be my first time doing this.

Here is the list:

Stag stripped lower receiver
Rock River standard lower parts kit
Stag 3H complete upper
Stag A2 buttstock
Prince bullet button kit
one 10 round magazine.

Am I missing anything?? I figured this complete build will only cost me in the $700's.

If I am missing something or there is a way to save more money TELL ME!!:)

I will be buying my receiver form ddsranch and everything else through coldshooters.com.

rod
02-23-2007, 11:52 AM
Don't forget about ammo.

franco802
02-23-2007, 11:54 AM
Don't forget about ammo.

Got some sittin and waiting to be used already;)

shark92651
02-23-2007, 11:56 AM
Does the Stag A2 buttstock come with the receiver, buffer, and spring?

SuperSet
02-23-2007, 11:58 AM
Hey dude,
Just curious...why'd you go with a fixed stock instead of collapsible? Usually, I only see that if people are going gripless for the whole preban magazine option.

Mark_in_Pasadena
02-23-2007, 12:04 PM
Does the Stag A2 buttstock come with the receiver, buffer, and spring?

+1.... on the buffer and spring...

franco802
02-23-2007, 12:24 PM
Hey dude,
Just curious...why'd you go with a fixed stock instead of collapsible? Usually, I only see that if people are going gripless for the whole preban magazine option.

Its a cosmetic thing, I just like the looks of the full stock better.

And yes, it comes with a buffer and spring.

franco802
02-23-2007, 12:25 PM
I've got my first build parts on order. I can't wait. There is directions online at ar15.com that will help you put together the lower if needed. Best of Luck.

I will definitely be reading that thread on how to build the lower.

Biff...
02-23-2007, 12:29 PM
This is what got me through my first build

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

permanent_45
02-23-2007, 12:38 PM
Last time I checked (this morning) DD's only had stag lowers. Did you get word that DD's will have them in stock next week? If so you can't go wrong with a $99.00 stag lower. Edit I meant 6.8 lowers

franco802
02-23-2007, 12:42 PM
Last time I checked (this morning) DD's only had stag lowers. Did you get word that DD's will have them in stock next week? If so you can't go wrong with a $99.00 stag lower.

I saw the lower at DD's for only $99.00. I know they have been out of them for some time now(I think). I tried calling this morning but got no answer. I am sure they are pretty busy over there.

I am trying right now to get a hold of someone over there. I will let you guys know when the do get more Stag lowers in stock.

Technical Ted
02-23-2007, 12:43 PM
A sling, even a basic $2 nylon sling with two buckles. A rifle without a sling is like a pistol without a holster.

Download and read the operators manual
http://www.ar15.com/content/manuals/TM9-1005-319-10.pdf

Too many times we see people finish their first build then post "now what do I do?" or "what's this do?" or "I think I have a problem". Nine out of ten times you'll find the answer in the operators manual.

A cleaning kit and supplies. A semi-automatic action is a tuned mechanism that needs periodic maintenance in order to work correctly.

Mark_in_Pasadena
02-23-2007, 12:47 PM
A sling, even a basic $2 nylon sling with two buckles. A rifle without a sling is like a pistol without a holster.

Too many times we see people finish their first build then post "now what do I do?" or "what's this do?" or "I think I have a problem". Nine out of ten times you'll find the answer in the operators manual.

A cleaning kit and supplies. A semi-automatic action is a tuned mechanism that needs periodic maintenance in order to work correctly.

I'd suggest printing out two copies of the manual. Take one copy and tape the pictures of the parts list together, then place your parts on them. It makes it super easy that way, and when your puting on your front pivot pin spring, do it inside of a plastic bag. That way when it shoots off, which it will, you won't loose it.....:D

franco802
02-23-2007, 12:47 PM

Excellent! Thank you. I now have it on my desktop!!

franco802
02-23-2007, 12:48 PM
I'd suggest printing out two copies of the manual. Take one copy and tape the pictures of the parts list together, then place your parts on them. It makes it super easy that way, and when your puting on your front pivot pin spring, do it inside of a plastic bag. That way when it shoots off, which it will, you won't loose it.....:D

More excellent advice!! Thank you!

David002
02-23-2007, 1:48 PM

why couldn't you have posted this sooner...and by sooner i mean before i was crawling around my living room tryign to find a spring... :o :p

Mark_in_Pasadena
02-23-2007, 2:46 PM
why couldn't you have posted this sooner...and by sooner i mean before i was crawling around my living room tryign to find a spring... :o :p

Trust me David, WE'VE all learned thru the school of hard knocks..... As a suggestion, I used an allen key on my last build, and since it's flatter than a punch it work perfectly on the first try.....

goldfinger
02-23-2007, 2:52 PM
LANWorld also has everything you need.

franco802
02-23-2007, 5:05 PM
BTW guys, just the lower has to go to an FFL? The rest of the parts(complete upper, spring kit, stock, etc...) can be delivered straight to my house?

Technical Ted
02-23-2007, 5:10 PM
BTW guys, just the lower has to go to an FFL? The rest of the parts(complete upper, spring kit, stock, etc...) can be delivered straight to my house? True. The lower is the serialized component that's considered the "firearm". Everything is else is just "machine parts"...unless your shipping out of the US in which case there are other laws to be concerned about.

franco802
02-23-2007, 5:15 PM
True. The lower is the serialized component that's considered the "firearm". Everything is else is just "machine parts"...unless your shipping out of the US in which case there are other laws to be concerned about.

Thank you.

This is my first AR and just wanted to make sure the upper is not serialized for some God forsaken reason:eek:

creampuff
02-23-2007, 5:31 PM
Thank you.

This is my first AR and just wanted to make sure the upper is not serialized for some God forsaken reason:eek:

Nope, I came home one day and found my upper sitting on the front porch courtesy of the United States Postal service :). You can order for an upper via the net, just as easily as you can order for books via amazon :)

shark92651
02-23-2007, 5:43 PM
I was warned about losing the takedown spring before I did my first two builds. The advice I followed (and worked beautifully) was to buy a $1 clevis pin at home depot that is the same diameter of the takedown pin, slide it into the upper and align the hole with the spring hole, drop the spring and detent in, press it in with a nail or punch, then rotate the clevis pin to hold it in place. Then you just put the end of the takedown pin next to the clevis pin and just push the clevis pin out of the way as the takedown pin takes it's place and the detent snaps into position. It was a piece of cake.

http://www.wilsonmfgco.com/images/machinepin.jpg

franco802
02-23-2007, 5:58 PM
I was warned about losing the takedown spring before I did my first two builds. The advice I followed (and worked beautifully) was to buy a $1 clevis pin at home depot that is the same diameter of the takedown pin, slide it into the upper and align the hole with the spring hole, drop the spring and detent in, press it in with a nail or punch, then rotate the clevis pin to hold it in place. Then you just put the end of the takedown pin next to the clevis pin and just push the clevis pin out of the way as the takedown pin takes it's place and the detent snaps into position. It was a piece of cake.

http://www.wilsonmfgco.com/images/machinepin.jpg

That's another great idea! I have a clevis pin kit in my garage:)

tenpercentfirearms
02-23-2007, 8:14 PM
I am a little disappointed in our calgunners because no one mentioned two things.

First, do you have a scope or some sort of detachable iron sights? If not, then you will be pointing and shooting, not aiming. The 3H has nothing on the top. So if you have a scope already, do you have AR15 specific rings?

Second, I highly recommend the extended take down pin. Cold War Shooters should have them and they make reloading the Prince50 ten times easier.

I would just recommend getting everything from Cold War Shooters. Why spend all of your time and energy trying to call DDs Ranch to figure out if they have Stags in stock or not when CWS clearly has them in stock ready to ship? There is a reason you pay a little more at CWS, you get what you pay for. You don't have to wonder when they are going to get more, you don't have to wait three weeks to save $30, you pay and they ship.

Well actually I would recommend you get your lower from Cold War and everything else from me, but that is just because I am selfish! :D

Technical Ted
02-23-2007, 8:18 PM
I am a little disappointed in our calgunners because no one mentioned two things.

First, do you have a scope or some sort of detachable iron sights? If not, then you will be pointing and shooting, not aiming. The 3H has nothing on the top. So if you have a scope already, do you have AR15 specific rings?
Aw Wes, I took it for granted he had something with a rear sight of some kind. Just didn't feel like looking it up on the Stag site I guess.

Second, I highly recommend the extended take down pin. Cold War Shooters should have them and they make reloading the Prince50 ten times easier.
He said he ordered a Prince Bullet Button, which I presumed is the bullet button mag release version.

tenpercentfirearms
02-23-2007, 8:21 PM
Freak. I saw Prince and just figured Prince 50. That is my mistake.

We have gotten away from putting Prince Bullet Button on our invoices in order to avoid that same situation. They are plain and simply Bullet Buttons.

In that case the extended take down pin isn't necessary, but I still recommend them just in case you don't want to pop out the mag depending on who is around.

franco802
02-23-2007, 8:37 PM
Freak. I saw Prince and just figured Prince 50. That is my mistake.

We have gotten away from putting Prince Bullet Button on our invoices in order to avoid that same situation. They are plain and simply Bullet Buttons.

In that case the extended take down pin isn't necessary, but I still recommend them just in case you don't want to pop out the mag depending on who is around.

I totally agree with you. There are some picky people out there and depending where i will be, I wouldn't want someone to think my rifle was illegal.

As far as buying stuff from you, I will check out your website then:)

12:13
02-24-2007, 8:21 AM

If you're trying to keep the cost low, I recommend doing a google search for the specific parts you need. I resorted to getting YHM BUIS for my varmint from ebay cause nobody else had it in stock at the time. Plus the price was well below MSRP. Good luck w/your build!

Jicko
02-24-2007, 9:34 AM

It took 3 pages before Wes mentioned this.... I was a little late to this thread... but when I looked at his first posting.... all I can think of is that he is ordering the WRONG upper!! 3H is "sightless"!! If he is TIGHT on $$, his best bet is actually a 2H, which will give him an ARMS rear sight and a A2 front sight.

And then WRT the extended take down pin... that's really *not necessary*.... he sounded like he *just* got enough $$, if that is the case... should just go with the bear minimium, enjoy the rifle, then come back for more....

BTW, while you are using mostly STAG parts... why don't you just use the STAG LPK... then you will have a complete STAG (not that it really matters....)

tenpercentfirearms
02-24-2007, 9:49 AM
I saw Prince and though Prince50. I too am guilty of not reading carefully and missed he wants a Prince BULLET BUTTON. The extended take down pin is not necessary, but for $8.95 of less might be helpful.

Yeah, if you are on a budget, the 3H could get expensive once you are done putting sights or a scope on it.

franco802
02-24-2007, 12:33 PM
I saw Prince and though Prince50. I too am guilty of not reading carefully and missed he wants a Prince BULLET BUTTON. The extended take down pin is not necessary, but for $8.95 of less might be helpful.

Yeah, if you are on a budget, the 3H could get expensive once you are done putting sights or a scope on it.

I will go with the extended take down pin as well, since I am in Cali, ya never know!

Also, I will go with the Stag LPK to keep it all Stag. I will also look into the different upper. I just figured I would throw a scope on later.

The money should be rolling in mabe tomorrow, so I won't be able to sleep for a few days:)

shark92651
02-24-2007, 2:07 PM
Franco, that upper you are looking at has a railed gas block, right? I have a brand new Midwest Industries flip sight for gas blocks if you want to buy it off me. Send a PM if interested - I'll let you have it for less than you can find it anywhere else.

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/MCTAR_FFG.jpg

franco802
02-24-2007, 3:07 PM
Damn, there are so many different parts and kits!! Look at the kits from Del-ton!

http://www.del-ton.com/AR_15_Rifle_Kits_16_s/57.htm

That's not a bad price. Then again, I don't know how good they are.

franco802
02-24-2007, 3:08 PM
On another note, all of the uppers i been looking at have flash hiders(which are illegal in Cali). What do I do about that? Have whoever i buy the complete upper from, take off the flash hider???

franco802
02-24-2007, 3:10 PM
Franco, that upper you are looking at has a railed gas block, right? I have a brand new Midwest Industries flip sight for gas blocks if you want to buy it off me. Send a PM if interested - I'll let you have it for less than you can find it anywhere else.

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/MCTAR_FFG.jpg

If i decide to go the route of the bare upper with no rails or anything, then i will keep you in mind.

Technical Ted
02-24-2007, 3:12 PM
On another note, all of the uppers i been looking at have flash hiders(which are illegal in Cali). What do I do about that? Have whoever i buy the complete upper from, take off the flash hider??? If you go with a fixed mag or bullet button build a flash suppressor is legal.

Removal is usually a simple process if you get a 16" or longer barrel--the FS is just threaded on.

Technical Ted
02-24-2007, 3:13 PM
Damn, there are so many different parts and kits!! Look at the kits from Del-ton!

http://www.del-ton.com/AR_15_Rifle_Kits_16_s/57.htm

That's not a bad price. Then again, I don't know how good they are. You get what you pay for.

franco802
02-24-2007, 3:19 PM
You get what you pay for.

You just summed it up for me in that post. I will stick with Stag, thanks.

|-007-|
02-24-2007, 4:26 PM
Don't forget to talk to people out at the range. I had a list of parts and where I was getting them all set up, but I wanted to go to the range first to be sure it was a good place to shoot such a rifle.

Amazingly, their was a large group of AR15 owners and a guy who gave me a better offer on everything I'd need except the lower, since he wasn't an FFL.

So, check out your range if you haven't already. I prefer buying from people/companies I can talk to face to face whenever possible.

franco802
02-24-2007, 10:58 PM
Another question I had was, can I build my OLL to only be loaded by breaking open the rifle (like the CA model sold in gun shops)? What I mean is, what would i put in place where the mag release goes? I still want a regular magazine in place, just don't want it to be removed period.

I think I am starting to get paranoid:confused:

hoffmang
02-24-2007, 11:09 PM
The bullet button is safe. If you keep an empty magazine in the well when not in use, you don't even have to explain yourself and you can still top load a bullet button build if you really want to.

-Gene

|-007-|
02-24-2007, 11:10 PM
Well, if that's what you want to do, get the sporting conversions kit.

http://www.sportingconversions.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=1044

That's what I used before I got my .22lr conversion kit. Now I leave the normal button on and keep the .22lr bolt in.

Cali-V
02-25-2007, 12:41 AM
If you have not already invested in tools, sit aside a few dollars for at least a good set of roll pin punches...

In the long run you will save by buying upfront, the upper which most completely meets your needs... I think the 2H is a good "Out The Box" value!

Technical Ted
02-25-2007, 1:07 AM
If you have not already invested in tools, sit aside a few dollars for at least a good set of roll pin punches...
True, the right tools make the job go faster.

franco802
02-25-2007, 7:38 AM

In the long run you will save by buying upfront, the upper which most completely meets your needs... I think the 2H is a good "Out The Box" value!

Sounds great!! Where do I buy the tools?

Cali-V
02-25-2007, 8:46 AM
Here are a few...

MidwayUSA - Shooting Supplies, Reloading, Gun Parts, Ammunition, Rifle Scopes & Airguns (http://www.midwayusa.com/)

Brownells - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools (http://www.brownells.com/)

Cheaper Than Dirt - America's Ultimate Shooting Sports Discounter (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/default.asp)

Don't forget about e-bay (http://search.ebay.com/_Gun-Smithing-Equipment_W0QQcatrefZC6QQcoactionZcompareQQcoentry pageZsearchQQcopagenumZ1QQfclZ3QQfromZR10QQfsooZ1Q QfsopZ1QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQsacatZ73962QQsaprchiZQQsa prcloZQQsassZQQsatitleZQQsbrsrtZd) and the forums

Technical Ted
02-25-2007, 11:50 AM
Here's a few specialty tools:
http://www.adcofirearms.com/tools.cfm?page=acc
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=432&title=TOOLS+FOR+AR-15%2fM16

daltotuck
07-05-2007, 7:36 AM
where is a free list of parts i need to make an ar 15?

PIRATE14
07-05-2007, 8:01 AM
Ok guys, I will have rounded up just enough bucks to buy everything for my AR15 build up in about a week or so. This will be my first time doing this.

Here is the list:

stripped lower receiver
standard lower parts kit
complete upper
buttstock
Prince bullet button kit
one 10 round magazine.

Did you see this one........this is a list for a fixed ten rd build........

OR
Go w/ a Fixed A2 butt
Monster man
Muzzle break

for a no features......build

Or just buy a complete rilfe........

tacticalcity
07-05-2007, 2:23 PM
It's funny to think back on my first build. It seems like forever ago...

I went low end on my first build without worrying about things like twist rate, weight, barrel length, and so on. I just wanted to save money while looking cool. Not the best approach, but the route most of us take on our first rifle...

It has the following...

1) Vulcan V-15 Lower (not recommended because the trigger holes were too big, the width for the safety was too narrow so it slops around a little, and I had use so much force to get the TangoDown battle grip in there that I am never getting that damn thing off. I got it to work perfectly, but it took more money and effort to get it working right than if I had bought a more expensive and in-spec lower upfront. I would feel comfortable using it in a hairy situation, but only because I busted my hump fixing it)
2) KNS Anti-Walk Pins (Just plain awsome. Fixes the problem I had with the holes being too big, gives me a shelf to rest my trigger finger on, and they look cool)
3) 16 Inch Wilson Combat A3 Upper (Non-Chrome Lined and No Feed Ramps)
4) YHM Free-Floating 4-Rail Handguard (Too Damn Heavy)
5) DPMS A2 Stand Alone Detachable Rear Sight (works Great but not as popular as the flip-up sights)
6) Tango Down Battle Grip (very popular but too rough for my hands - not very comfortable)
7) Tango Down Forward Grip (the best on the market, light weight and has a channel for a light switch)
8) Magpul XT Textured Rail Guards (in my opinion they look the best, and they can be cut down without screwing up their look)
9) Cheap 3-Point Sling
10) M4 Col. Stock
11) Arms Throw Leverl Mount for Aimpoint (simply awsome)
12) Aimpont CL2 Sight

The end result was nice. But slightly too heavy largely due to the YHM handguards which tend to be the heaviest out there.

My Current Project Consists of the following...

1) 14.5" M4 A3 Upper With Chrome Lined Chamber/Bore, Feed Ramps and a permently attached Smith Vortex Flash Hidder. (As close to the real thing as I can get without an SBR)
2) GI Issue KAC 4-Rail Handguard and Accessories (Lighter and authentic look)
3) Hogue AR Grip (feels better to my hand)
4) GG&G MAD BUIS Navy Seal Style Flip-up Rear Sight (nice, but covers just a tad too much of my view when co-witnessing. best option for leapold scopes because it is so low. But I went with a different optic so the standard flip up sight might have been a better choice)
6) EOTech 510 Sight (already got an aimpoint so why not)
7) BlackHawk 3-Point Sling (figured I would see if the brand name version was any nicer)
8) M4 Col. Stock (may go with a Vltor down the road)
9) DPMS Lower Parts Kit
10) KNS Anti-Rotating Pins (only because I liked how well they worked on my other rifle - not because I need them this time)
11) Lauer Custom Weaponry Lower (night and day difference from the Vulcan - very well made lower)

Sounds like the same rifle. But it's not. Those little differences make a big difference in the finished product. Plus I need two carbines, since I go to Front Sight a lot and it is more fun if I take one of my nephews or buddies with me. This way they don't have to rent a rifle - and since I'm getting old I wanted a nice light weight but high-end rifle for myself. They can use my first build.

tacticalcity
07-05-2007, 2:43 PM
Forgot to mention that both rifles have a prince 50 kit. The bullet button is nice, but but I take my rifle to Nevada a lot. So I wanted an option that allowed me to convert it to a normal rifle (and back) without having to remove the part. Four twists of an allen wrench and it changes from non-detchable to detachable and back again. I love it!