View Full Version : Coleman Instant Tent

11-16-2011, 12:42 PM
This would make a nice Bug Out Tent.

Setup in 1 minutes, Breakdown under 3 minutes.

11-16-2011, 2:09 PM
Neat. My current standard two-person backpacking Coleman tent has served me flawlessly for over 15 years through desert heat and rain and snow in the mountains. I wonder if this design is as durable.

11-16-2011, 2:26 PM
That beats the one in the neiman marcus catalog my wife just got....damn thing is $75,000 for a tent - includes furnishings and all - looks like an Arabian Shiek thing inside but still for $75k.....I like the Coleman many times over.

11-16-2011, 3:14 PM
Agreed, that would make a great Bug Out Tent.

Only thing, looks heavy so it would have to be a vehicle tent.
My vehicle tent is an REI Camp Dome 4. I've used it for the past couple of summers and am beginning to think Coleman.

Heck, if I'm going to use my truck to transport the thing, then why not have it big and cozy. What I like about those big tents is that you can stand up in them.

But alas, I have a light weight back packing tent, winter tent, and a base camp tent. Don't need another tent. :facepalm:

11-16-2011, 3:22 PM
I like the 6 person at Target, 25lbs is heavy, but would be great for rafting....I love getting my tent set up before anyone else...

11-16-2011, 3:25 PM
I love getting my tent set up before anyone else...

I like rolling out my closed cell foam matt, sleeping bag and yelling "Done!"

11-16-2011, 3:42 PM
I like the 6 person at Target, 25lbs is heavy, but would be great for rafting....I love getting my tent set up before anyone else...

Warning...If you try to use that thing for rafting, your gonna drown!

11-16-2011, 3:51 PM
Warning...If you try to use that thing for rafting, your gonna drown!

;) good point..... Although I am a man that comes with natural flotation...

11-16-2011, 4:57 PM
pretty cool tent.

11-16-2011, 5:36 PM
I have a tent that sets up very similar to that but is even faster. It is pretty heavy though and I definitely consider it a "car camping" type tent, meaning it ain't no backpacking tent. Its pretty good. Still have to stake it in high wind, and it has collapsed on me in 60 MPH winds(when it wasn't staked so well).

11-16-2011, 8:24 PM
I've been using a tent that is exactly the same for about 6 years. NOTHING beats putting up a tent in a minute or two by yourself.

11-17-2011, 7:48 PM
Got a reply from Coleman. Their coming out with a redesigned tent that includes a Rain Fly this coming spring. Some people experienced some degree of leakage.

11-17-2011, 8:32 PM
My friend brought one camping during a Tahoe trip over the summer.

It took less than 10 min with 2-3 of us setting it up at anyone time.
Break down was a little longer than set up.
Pain to get everything back in the bag. Once the bag rips replace it with a milsurp duffel bag.
Tall (6' footers will have no problem standing)
The built in supports are nice - no poles to lose or break. What your fingers for pinching though

All in all a really nice tent for car camping.

11-18-2011, 12:32 AM
Coleman had a sale on the six man tent this summer. If they are coming out with a new and improved tent in 2012 look for a sale on the old ones. I suggest signing up for thier sales at the coleman site.

11-18-2011, 11:02 AM
This looks much easier then trying to explain to someone who had never done the fiberglass poles how to do it. I almost killed my friend last year over the stupid tent!

But the homicidal squirrel took care of bonking her on the head for me :) Little devil would position himself right over someone and drop a green pine cone on their head! I was in camp for the whole trip with a tin boiling pot on my head to keep from being a victim.

11-18-2011, 11:07 AM
Very nice! But I wouldn't buy it. It doesn't look like it will hold up against wind.

11-18-2011, 2:22 PM
I have this tent and bought it for a trip to Yosemite this year when I saw we were going to have inclement weather. It goes up fast and stayed dry through several very wet and windy storms. I wanted this tent because it does not have a rain fly and I figured it would keep out the drafts from the wind and it did do that. However, when it was lightly raining I didn't want to be in the tent I wanted to be sitting on my "porch" under the rain fly that I no longer had. Great tent in the end but a rainfly is nice when you ant to be protected from the elements but still be able to sit outside.

11-18-2011, 3:09 PM
I've got a Gelert Quick Pitch tent and I literally throw it up in the air and it lands good to go. I'm gonna Occupy Shaver Lake with it in the Spring.

11-18-2011, 5:07 PM
Here's what we've been using for boat camping the last few years. Not as big, bit the price is right and it's holding up good.