View Full Version : I want to learn how, and start reloading .40 cal. S&W and 9mm ammo

02-22-2007, 6:36 PM
I live in Oceanside and would love to volunteer free labor to help and learn how to reload ammo. If you live in SD and and willing to teach me and get some free help, I would love the opprotunity. I have done some shotgun shells reloading, but a long, long time ago.

I am interested in purchasing all the equipment/tools to get started to reload .40 cal S&W and 9mm ammo. I am so sick and tired of prices of ammo these days.

if someone could give me a full list of everything that I am going to need to get started, I would really appreciate it.

what is the best online store to purchase all of the equipment? I have done some window shopping at MidwayUSA.

Thanks for the advice,

02-22-2007, 6:39 PM
First off, research a lot - hit http://www.brianenos.com/ and read the forums pretty thoroughly. Each brand has its own pro's and con's, although there aren't many pro's to a Lee setup. ;)

Second, I haven't ever loaded 9mm or 40, or shotshells, so I'm probably not a good tutor. :)

But I'd welcome some feedback from folks on the overview of reloading I have here:

That'll cover the "what's a turret press / single state / progressive" questions, etc.

02-22-2007, 8:04 PM
9mm is too cheap for the bother of handloading.

But here are some links:

There are lots more for free on the internet.

If you set on handloading for handgun, skip the single stage. Get a prog. If you get a prog and decide on Dillon, skip the 550, get an SDB, 650 or other progs. 550s have a nice little "feature" that can set you up for a double charge.

02-22-2007, 8:46 PM
You don't need some internet link to teach you reload. Go buy yourself a manual, Sierra, Nosler, Speer, Lyman, whatever. they all have sections in the begining that give detailed instruction on how to safely reload. Get a manual, buy a press, have fun. If you find someone to help you learn thats great, but not necessary. You will learn alot from loading a variety of different calibers.

Avoid much of the knucklehead advice you can find online, a manual from a reputable manufacture is the safe bet

02-22-2007, 9:28 PM

02-22-2007, 9:45 PM
Avoid much of the knucklehead advice you can find online

Well put.