PDA

View Full Version : hog hunting with dogs?

stuckin
02-22-2007, 3:19 PM
any of u guys hunt hogs with dogs? i have heard some do out here in CA. there is a lot more down in the south. i hunted them with dogs when i lived in new zealand for a couple years. its so much fun. the dogs get them to stop and u try to pick the best time to get in there with ur knife and finish them off. its the best rush i have had hunting by far. the first time i went in on one the pig won. he got me right in the leg and had to go get fixed up at the doctors. but if u get a chance give it a try.
stuck

kalibear
02-22-2007, 3:51 PM
That is awesome! Takes some cahones to walk up to a pissed off hog with sharp tusks

stuckin
02-22-2007, 4:26 PM
yea a lot of dogs die from the hogs. would be hard if u took ur family dog that ur kids loved out and he got killed. i have some friends down in new zealand that make some good videos on hunting pigs down there with dogs. its www.lifesaboar.com they have some cool videos. u just cant beat the rush. i have hunted bears with dogs that was a blast but we shoot the bear. just cant beat the knife with the pig for a fun hunt
stuck

sungmini
02-23-2007, 4:25 AM
thats pretty crazy man. the only hunts around here I've heard stories about are def with firearms. decent firepower too at that. a knife! wow..

ivanimal
02-23-2007, 10:25 AM
I was part f a hunt that bayed the pig in a stream, I got above it and shot it in the head with a 357 but it forgot to die. The guide did the knife thing and then noticed one of his dogs had a 10 " gash in its side. He left and was able to save the dog. I had to drag the pig out with my brothers help, we did not have a knife with us as they were in the truck with the guide. We had a pretty fun time carrying a 250 Lb. pig.:rolleyes:

toymonger
02-23-2007, 11:33 AM
You can get a guide with dogs and hunt here, in Moreno Valley area.

http://www.ladyhunter.com/bighorn/bighornhome.htm

redneckshootist
02-23-2007, 4:18 PM
this is one thing Ive always wanted to try..... Ive been hunting pigs for about 10 years now (didn't get into pigs till I was 18) and Ive rifles, shotguns, hand guns, muzzle loaders, and bows. All of that is a rush but huntin with a knife would be awsome

stuckin
02-23-2007, 8:43 PM
u cant beat the knife. check out that lifesaboar web site for some cool videos. its such a rush. when u get close u can hear the tusks rubbing as they open and close there mouth. there is a lot of guides in TX that will take u out with there dogs and the knife. its just a blast. have had some intresting hunts with bears not treeing and so on but going in on a big boar is a rush.
stuck:)

FatKatMatt
02-23-2007, 8:47 PM
Sounds pretty crazy man, I guess it would be a cool thing to do if you're in shape and don't mind the risk of getting impaled. I value my life too much, I'll let Mr. 30-06 do all the dirty work :)

randy
02-24-2007, 12:26 AM
When I first read your post I thought you were going to the park looking for fat chicks!

stator
02-24-2007, 7:10 AM
I guess rabies be damned, or does one get the shot before wrestling with wild boars?

stuckin
03-06-2007, 2:49 PM
when we would hunt the hogs with the pigs we would not take guns with use. just a pig sticker knife and a small knife to clean the pigs. i had a nice custom knife made down in new zealand when i lived there. might have to figure out how to post pictures on here and show some. its just so much fun.
stuck