PDA

View Full Version : Where can I find an STG58 parts kit?

MilSpec.45
02-22-2007, 1:37 PM
Like the title says, I am looking for a good deal on an STG58 parts kit. I have searched and it looks like the days of finding these kits for cheap is over. Any suggestions are welcome.

I am primarely interested in websites that sell the complete kit, and there is no need to mention the auction sites either, b/c I already know about them.

Thanks.

blacklisted
02-22-2007, 1:52 PM
I've only seen them on the FALfiles marketplace, and they usually go for $350-$400.

thefurball
02-22-2007, 2:41 PM
Good luck. I have been looking for awhile now. All the web sites seem to be sold out or are @$#%^*! expensive.

50 Freak
02-22-2007, 2:44 PM
Gone are the days of the nice STG kits.

Glad I had picked up two NEW kits for $200 each a while back.

Both are built and man are they nice.

-hanko
02-22-2007, 3:21 PM
Like the title says, I am looking for a good deal on an STG58 parts kit. I have searched and it looks like the days of finding these kits for cheap is over. Any suggestions are welcome.

I am primarely interested in websites that sell the complete kit, and there is no need to mention the auction sites either, b/c I already know about them.

Thanks.
'Good deal' now...$325 and (usually) up.

Best source... www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php When it opens, click on 'Marketplace'. When you see what you want at a good price, HOP on it. On the fal files, custom is the first reply saying "I'll take it" has the deal unless the ad states otherwise.

good luck

-hanko

MilSpec.45
02-22-2007, 3:47 PM
Thanks for the replies, I was afraid that was the case.

How are the imbel kits? I have seen a few of them around for not too much.

-hanko
02-22-2007, 4:09 PM

Are you bothered by the increase in stg prices, or that you may have to buy from an individual??

Imbel kits make just as nice a rifle as the stg kits...I'm assuming you'll refinish the gun & also assuming that the imbel's barrel is in good shape. STG barrels are reputed to be the most accurate; this obviously assumes that the stg barrel is in good shape when you get the kit.

An Imbel kit needs a type 3 receiver if you're a maniac for authenticity, i don't care if I'm building a shooter v. replicating an original rifle. Type i and ii receivers are more available, but (Murphy's law) kits that match them are not nearly as common.

I'd generally advise if you want to build a good shooter, get your receiver and whatever kit you want NOW. Things have dried up a lot in the last 6 months, prices continue to rise. Buying an assembled kit gun from a reputable smith is a viable alternative. Again, if you're looking for specific parts or a finished gun, it will pay to haunt the fal files a LOT.

-hanko

fal_762x51
02-22-2007, 4:17 PM
things have dried up a lot in the last 6 months

Try in the last 2 years. Imbel receivers were $179, a good G1 kit could still have been had for $175, and the ammo was plentiful.

wilit
02-22-2007, 6:16 PM

I picked up an IMBEL kit from Entreprise for $150. It's a non-matching number kit, and the finish was real rough. But the barrel looks almost unused, other than the missing finish from the gas port forward. The bolt and carrier look to have very little wear as well.

mltrading
02-22-2007, 6:28 PM
Try FALFiles. I've gotten a German G-1 kit at $200 two years ago.

NSR500
02-22-2007, 6:31 PM
DSA still has mismatched STG58's, but be prepared to pay $495 :eek:

MilSpec.45
02-22-2007, 6:41 PM
I think I am going to go with the Imbel kit. The STG58 is just more than I am looking to spend. From what I gather, the Imbel kit is basically just as good but the finish is worse. I plan on having it refinished anyway so that doesn't matter.

What exactly are the differences between the Imbel and STG58? Also what is the deal with the bipod cut barrel? Do you have to have it to have a bipod?

rorschach
02-22-2007, 6:52 PM
Have you tried GPG (http://www.gunpartsguy.com)???

blacklisted
02-22-2007, 7:04 PM
I picked up an IMBEL kit from Entreprise for $150. It's a non-matching number kit, and the finish was real rough. But the barrel looks almost unused, other than the missing finish from the gas port forward. The bolt and carrier look to have very little wear as well.

I have one of these as well, and it is pretty good for the price. I can't really comment on it until I have the rifle built and tested (within the next two weeks), but it is like you describe (except that the bolt and carrier on mine are matching). It took a LOT of work to free and clean up most of the threads, and I am not too confident about the gas tube. The gas regulator was stuck, and had to be turned back and forth with polishing compound. I sandblasted and parkerized the kit, and it looks great.

I'd also like to point out that the chamber is chrome lined, but the bore is not. The bore looks good (no obvious pitting or throat erosion), but that's one thing I can't say for sure until I shoot it. It passed the bullet test, but not as well as I would have liked (the last few millimeters of rifling may be worn somewhat from poor cleaning techniques.) Also, Entreprise just raised the price on these kits to $200.

MilSpec.45
02-23-2007, 2:07 PM
Have you tried GPG (http://www.gunpartsguy.com)???

From what I can tell, he only sells individual parts not a kit. If you see the kits on his site please let me know, cause I can't find them. :o

Also what is the difference between the bipod cut barrel and regular barrel?

Thanks for all the help.

-hanko
02-23-2007, 3:16 PM
From what I can tell, he only sells individual parts not a kit. If you see the kits on his site please let me know, cause I can't find them. :o

Also what is the difference between the bipod cut barrel and regular barrel?

Thanks for all the help.
James sells everything from parts to complete kits. If it's not on his website, call and he'll get enough parts to build a complete rifle if you have the upper. He's a pleasure to do business with & will treat you right, to say the least.

A bipod cut barrel has an additional cut forward of the gas block to locate a bipod. If you're not using a bipod, you can use a barrel with or without the bipod cut...makes no difference.

Spend some time with the sticky threads at the top of the gunsmithing forum on the fal files;)

-hanko

MilSpec.45
02-23-2007, 3:24 PM
Hanko,
Thanks for all your help and suggestions. I have been doing a lot of reading over on falfiles, but sometimes it is hard to find the simplest of answers.

Thanks again for your help.

-hanko
02-23-2007, 4:31 PM
Hanko,
Thanks for all your help and suggestions. I have been doing a lot of reading over on falfiles, but sometimes it is hard to find the simplest of answers.

Thanks again for your help.
Glad I can help. If you have questions without answers, ask them on the gunsmithing forum, you'll get more help than you expect.

Email me if you need anything else.

-hanko

leego
02-23-2007, 9:20 PM
I agree with hanko, James at GPG is great to work with. He helped me a lot when I was building my FAL.

Outlaw
02-24-2007, 11:47 AM
FAL FILEs, Gun Parts Guy, Gun Things, Enterprise Arms and DSA. I check those places for FAL things.

thedrickel
02-24-2007, 1:44 PM
You'll be lucky to find an imbel kit in the 175-200 range. I just sold a couple SA kits for about 170 each. Glad I got a few imbel kits 3 months ago for 150 shipped :D. They will make fine rifles, sure the finish is gone in front of the gas block but otherwise they are "like new" in every way. STG kits easily 350-400 for a nice one, even more for matching #'s. Might as well buy an STG58 from DSA.

Ford8N
02-25-2007, 6:53 AM
You'll be lucky to find an imbel kit in the 175-200 range. I just sold a couple SA kits for about 170 each. Glad I got a few imbel kits 3 months ago for 150 shipped :D. They will make fine rifles, sure the finish is gone in front of the gas block but otherwise they are "like new" in every way. STG kits easily 350-400 for a nice one, even more for matching #'s. Might as well buy an STG58 from DSA.

I've been around so long I remember the $189 Tapco combo deal of an Imbel and G1 kit(matching numbers too). The prices these days are crazy.