PDA

View Full Version : Saiga Legal?

currahee
02-22-2007, 8:03 AM
So I am browsing through Gunsamerica and come across the Saiga: AK47,
civvie stock, 16" barrel chrome lined, Wolf ammo capable. So is this CA legal, seems so?
Cordially,
-C.

QuickOnTheDraw
02-22-2007, 8:28 AM
This topic has been convered extensively already. Use the "Search" on the top bar to do a little research for yourself. If you type in "Saiga legal" you'd be surpised on what will come up. The Search funcion is your friend and will help you answer your own questions most of the time.So I am browsing through Gunsamerica and come across the Saiga: AK47,
civvie stock, 16" barrel chrome lined, Wolf ammo capable. So is this CA legal, seems so?
Cordially,
-C.

currahee
02-22-2007, 8:55 AM
Covered indeed, what confusion. If a SOCOM 16 is CA legal, why not this Saiga?

James R.
02-22-2007, 9:57 AM
I wish someone would post a website where to buy Saigas. I found one site that had every model of Saiga for sale, but no CA sales.

I got mine here http://www.onpointsupply.com/ and am picking it up today from my ffl if UPS shows up with it on time. If you get one make sure it's an RAA those are the ones which are kosher here and the type which onpoint is selling.

Regards,

James R.

bwiese
02-22-2007, 10:49 AM
The only banned-by-name Saiga *rifle* in CA is the one by Kalashnikov USA.

The Russian-American Armory make ("RAAC") of Saigas are not banned by name.

Saiga *shotguns* are no-nos because they are semiauto and take detachable magazines. Such guns would have to be rendered into CA-legal form either by using a 10rd fixed mag, or closing off the gas system/removing gas piston (if that's how a Saiga shotgun's gas system is indeed implemented) to make it a manually-cycled nonsemiauto firearm.

SC_Chewy
02-22-2007, 11:06 AM
Bought mine from Gunboker.com and have it im my grubby hands as of monday. Outdoor world in Capitola did the transfer. I delt with Diesel Industries and the thing is awesome.......

grammaton76
02-22-2007, 1:29 PM
Bear in mind that although it's an AK action, the mags aren't AK. You can convert 'em to take AK mags, but it takes a lot of work.

Myself, I'm going to build my dad an AK using Saiga parts, rather than mess with the mags.

brighamr
02-22-2007, 2:11 PM
considering this question is asked about 3 times a week, any possiblity of making this a sticky?

Okami
02-22-2007, 2:17 PM
+1 Picked mine up from Bright Spot Pawn tuesday!
On Point is great to deal with!

~Okami

I got mine here http://www.onpointsupply.com/ and am picking it up today from my ffl if UPS shows up with it on time. If you get one make sure it's an RAA those are the ones which are kosher here and the type which onpoint is selling.

Regards,

James R.

James R.
02-22-2007, 4:49 PM
OK I picked mine up today. Having owned an Arsenal SLR-95 I gotta say this thing looks like a royal POS. I'm sure it works, we'll see how it shoots but she ain't pretty by *any* meaning of the word.

I think I bought my Arsenal back in 1996 or thereabouts, milled receiver, thumbhole stock etc. It was a gorgeous example of an AK clone. I paid the sum of approximately $350 I want to say.

This thing is nothing like that rifle...stamped and folded sheet metal. Really cheap, cheesy looking furniture. Bolt doesn't cam back like the Arsenal did, you have to press some little button if you want it to hold open. I've not had the dust cover off to survey the insides, but suffice it to say I'm not expecting much.

In any event, I'm not bummed or anything...it's a cheap rifle to kick around, just don't expect much in the quality department. Mebbe it'll look better once it's all wiped down...somehow I doubt it ;-)

Regards,

James R.

Vigilante
02-22-2007, 6:22 PM
Having owned an Arsenal SLR-95 I gotta say this thing looks like a royal POS.
The SLR-95 makes most AKs look like crap. More than likely both the Saiga and the SLR will work equally well.

Oswald2001
02-22-2007, 6:25 PM
You can change your Saiga into something you really like if you want to.

These guys know how.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/

James R.
02-22-2007, 7:33 PM
The SLR-95 makes most AKs look like crap. More than likely both the Saiga and the SLR will work equally well.

Yeah I figured as much, that SLR-95 was a beaut. I gotta tell you IMHO I'm the posterchild of what was wrong with the last registration run. I bought that rifle legally in 1996, went off to College and when I came back and got back into shooting I found out that I was supposed to have registered it. I hadn't heard *dick* on the radio or on the TV. The only way you'd have known is if you went into a gun shop that had posted up the flyers. Anyhow it was news to me too little too late. I did a little research and found out I was in a bit of hot water if I got caught with it. The rifle has long since gone bye bye to Arizona where it now resides making some other guy happy. I got a token sum $250 for it a scant fraction of what it was worth and less than I had paid. I guess that beats what the local PD would have given me which would have been a smug look and a, "thanks for the rifle...".

Regards,

James R.