PDA

View Full Version : Gas Mask Questions

Adam25
11-13-2011, 10:43 PM
Im about to buy a few new israeli gask masks that take the 40mm nato filters. I want to buy a 5-10 40mm filters for them. Does anybody know how long each filter will work, if needed in an emergency, also how much do the expiration dates come into play? Thanks guys. Cheers, Adam

engi
11-13-2011, 10:56 PM
Tagged for later. Been wondering about filter life as well.

11HE9
11-13-2011, 11:08 PM
Honestly...

Unless you live in a place that a terrorist is most likely to hit, I wouldn't worry about a NBC attack. I served in the "Cold war" Army, we did NBC drills in our sleep... I don't recall seeing much NBC gear being carried by our military lately.

Just my .02 ;)

*NBC= Nuclear, Biological, Chemical (weapons)

lwbyo1
11-13-2011, 11:25 PM
If they're the surplus ones that are from the 80's, don't waste your money. They are way past their shelf life and won't do you much good.

ElvenSoul
11-13-2011, 11:27 PM
Don't buy those military mask...commercial use ones are much better. How long the filters last is due to the concentration. It could go from hours to minutes. If the poison is real thick that filter will not save you. Once upon a time I had 120hours of Hazmat Training.

Get yourself a snifer to read the air concentrations.

Adam25
11-13-2011, 11:35 PM
I found new NATO NBC filters that expire in 2016 they are more expensive, but they are the only ones that arent expired

ElvenSoul
11-13-2011, 11:40 PM
here ya go

you want a full face

The problem with those old MilSurplus Mask is the Ruber Seals are old and will not seal properly...these things have like a five year shelf life

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/gas-masks-canisters/respiratory/safety/ecatalog/N-b47

choprzrul
11-13-2011, 11:50 PM
Don't buy those military mask...commercial use ones are much better. How long the filters last is due to the concentration. It could go from hours to minutes. If the poison is real thick that filter will not save you. Once upon a time I had 120hours of Hazmat Training.

Get yourself a snifer to read the air concentrations.

Johnston Island circa 89-90, leaking rocket filled with nerve agent, vapor concentrations reached levels 1902 times the lethal dose. My M9 protective mask & TAP clothing protected me in that atmosphere.

Unless you have Level A equipment at your disposal, a protective mask and covering exposed skin while moving rapidly from the contaminated area is pretty much your only hope. Move upwind until you are in the clear. Remove clothing while continuing to move into the wind. Decon your body from the top down with a clorox/water mixture at 1:5 and then rinse with water. Close your eyes and remove your mask while travelling into the wind. Hopefully you will have a water source upwind to wash in.

Granted, bleach/water isn't the best decon solution for every agent out there, but if I am given a choice of bleach or nothing, I'm going with the bleach. It is what we used on Johnston each morning when setting up decon in prep for the day's operations with nerve agent.

My background is 2 years in Germany working at the depot storing nerve agent at Clausen. Sites 59 & 67. Then PCS'd to Johnston Island and worked there for a year until ETS. VCRs at bldg 706 & 899 working nerve and mustard agents.

jeep7081
11-14-2011, 12:44 AM
Im about to buy a few new israeli gask masks that take the 40mm nato filters. I want to buy a 5-10 40mm filters for them. Does anybody know how long each filter will work, if needed in an emergency, also how much do the expiration dates come into play? Thanks guys. Cheers, Adam

Amazon has them for $14. The research I did (5min) said they last 15yrs.

http://www.amazon.com/Israeli-Issue-Drinking-Sealed-Filter/dp/B004RUB8VE/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1321259557&sr=1-2

CrossedRifles
11-14-2011, 1:02 AM
I read somewhere on another forum, in the event of a serious NBC attack, gas masks will be useless since your skin will absorb it. Anyone know if this is true?

socalocalypse
11-14-2011, 1:40 AM
If you're worried about nbc, I think there will be a loooooot of other problems if they're dropping nukes or anthrax or nerve gas. That said, good on you for whatever preparation you're making.

I have a couple gas masks but they're really commercial respirators. I like the full face style, like cops use in videogames or on tv, except mine have dual filters.

I use them for auto bodywork, but if you just want tear gas protection any mask and expired filter will work, as tear gas is a particulate that will get filtered regardless of espy date.

Or so I've read enough places I believe it anyway.

Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

johnthomas
11-14-2011, 1:52 AM
Most of the mil surp masks are sold as a novelty and not as real life protection. Buy fresh masks and filters and pay attention to the expiration date. When filters break down because of age or being open, they could send dust or other things into your lungs.

32blownhemi
11-14-2011, 2:48 AM
ttt

Adam25
11-14-2011, 4:31 PM
im just thinking anything is better than nothing, even if it buys me a few extra minutes during evac