PDA

View Full Version : New member to the family.. TRS

NwG
02-21-2007, 11:29 PM
After a little wait I picked up my Les Baer TRS last week.. I am happy :p
I planned at first to go with the Wilson but after a little research and talking with people in the know I went with the Baer.

I was able to get the thing before anybody had a chance to finger rape it as it was only on display for a few hours. I was happy about that!

My thoughts on the gun..

Firts off I am a 1911 whore.. An no I am not some hard-lined old timer ;) I am 25 and a very active shooter (about 1000 .45acp rounds a week) I have just come to think you can't beat a good 1911..

As with all Baer's the slide to frame fit is VERY tight.. I was a little put off by this at first.. I like my 1911's loose and fast, even if it gives up a bit of accuracy (not that 99.99% of shooters can tell, including myself) I was a bit worried this may slow the gun down a bit... Nope.. 4 shot NSR right at 1.5 seconds from the holster.. Same as my more worn 1911's.. Sweet..

The dehorning and blending on the frame and slide are smooth and pretty darn sexy.. The checkering is tight, even and not too sharp. I had trouble finding a flaw. (a few points dinged.. Really had to look)

The sights are very nice and fast to pick up.. They even cut groves in the sides of the rear to match the slide cuts.. Nice touch IMO.. The POI was right on the POA...

The trigger is short and sweet.. It breaks at about 4.5 pounds with no creep or slop. Trigger reset is short and sharp. IMO a good trigger reset is just about as important as it gets.. Overtravel was short at around 1.5 mm.. No problems here!!

The saftey is a bit tight.. It takes a good deal of pressure to release it. Not a problem for high thumb shooters like myself.. This well clear up with a few thousand flicks while watching TV.. The grip saftey has the "hump" that I really like.. I have found it useful for the times you just don't get the best grip out of the holster.

The magwell is a bit tight but getting better. Sometimes the mags take a little extra effort to drop free..

The barrel is a sweet unit! Very clean finish. The bushing is tight as all hell and NEEDS a wrench to turn..

I know the finish on the TRS's is pretty much crap.. While it is a pretty polished blue, they tend to rust rather quick.. I will get what I can from it before I send it out of a bake-on.. Oh well.. Not everything is perfict :o

It shoots.. That is an understatement! For as tight as the gun is man is it fast.. Accuracy is second to none.. Again it is hard to tell with a pistol buy I can shoot much tighter groups with the TRS than my Kimber Eclipse Target II.. I didn't think I would notice that much of a diffrance..

I am at about 2000 rounds down the tube right now.. I had FTF with a Ranger SXT of which accounts for about 200 of the 2000 rounds.. That has been the only problem so far. To think a gun will or should never have a problem is stupid and dangrous, no matter how much you spend on it!!!

So far I am VERY happy with the TRS.. Maybe now I can give the old Kimber Classic Custom a rest and send it out for a refinish.. She needs it after ~90,000 rounds!!!

A pic with the Kimbers...
http://w-a-w.net/gallery/d/48304-2/Family.jpg

stevie
02-22-2007, 3:47 AM
Nice review, I have been thinking hard between this pistol and the Wilson CQB.

Exiledviking
02-22-2007, 7:34 AM
Nice gun! Can't go wrong with TRS. I miss my TRS.

Do you compete?

. 4 shot NSR right at 1.5 seconds from the holster. :eek:

That is smoking fast! At what distance? NSR?

kalibear
02-22-2007, 8:02 AM
I love mine, its only got less than 1,000 rds down the pipe and its just starting to break in smooth. No malfunctions whatsoever and is more accurate than me. Only thing I've done is change the grips to regular size ones. It will be making a trip to Tripp for a nice chrome bath soon.

NwG
02-22-2007, 5:57 PM
Nice gun! Can't go wrong with TRS. I miss my TRS.

Do you compete?

:eek:

That is smoking fast! At what distance? NSR?

NSR= Non standard responce.. Back when the "standard" police responce to an armed threat was a double tap to the chest.. Well they found out that this dosen't always stop the bad guy.. And sence they were trained over and over to fire a double tap and check if the threat was still there many officers got hurt.. So now most train a NSR.. 3-5 rounds COM, check for threat, go to the head...

I do not compete, but I do take a lot of tactical shooting classes. My timed shots on this one were at about 3-4 yards (fighting distance) into a SEB target.. All shots landed in the chest square (about a 10"x10" square) There really is no diffrance between shooting fast defensive strings and slow target shooting.. It is all basics.. Threat, draw, saftey, front sight, trigger pull, front sight, trigger reset, repeat... Do this a few thousand times and you get pretty fast at it.. If you are shooting 1" groups, SHOOT FASTER.. If you are missing your target are, SLOW DOWN!

It is all basics...

SnWnMe
02-22-2007, 6:27 PM
Nice.

donger
02-22-2007, 6:28 PM
Me likey. :)

But can you go into more details regarding the FTFs? Was it happening early in the 1000 round count? Mag issues? etc..

Greg-Dawg
02-22-2007, 6:42 PM
How much did you get it?

Thanks for sharing.

JiminCA
02-22-2007, 7:36 PM
Around 1K rounds it'll smooth up as you've probably discovered. But somewhere between 4 and 6K it'll really come into its own.

At least that was my experience with the LB's I owned.

Black Majik
02-22-2007, 7:40 PM
Congrats. That TRS is quite a looker. Jim's right. Around 5K rounds the slide will be buttery smooth to the frame. And you'll even be able to presscheck like a normal 1911. :D

Brass Balls
02-22-2007, 7:50 PM
Baer makes a sweet 1911. I was talking with someone today that was getting ready to buy his third Kimber. I like Kimbers, but I suggested he spend the coin and get a Baer as they are quite a bit nicer.

fwiw Ranger T is the most problematic .45 JHP I've come across. I've looked closely at a few failures to feed with this ammo in a Kimber and found it happened when the little "petal" like opening in the hollowpoint got turned just the wrong way it would catch between the ramp and barrel on the leading edge of the barrel.

Kruzr
02-22-2007, 7:53 PM
One of my TRS's has about 25K down the tube and it's still tight as a drum and my most accurate 1911 (it's on it's third barrel but that's another story.) My other one is hard chromed and has just under 20K. Les builds great guns and compared to other semi-customs, some models are a bargain for what you get.

Just keep shooting it and it will get smooth. If you haven't yet figured it out, it's much easier to turn the bushing if the barrel is forward and out of battery. Many of us use the barrel as a "slide hammer" to tap the bushing out of the slide if you can't pull it out. Les likes em tight!

NwG
02-22-2007, 8:27 PM
Me likey. :)

But can you go into more details regarding the FTFs? Was it happening early in the 1000 round count? Mag issues? etc..

I can't tell you what caused the FTF.. I had cleared it and kept fireing before I thought about stopping to figure out why.. (+1 for training!) It was the only one of 200 Ranger T's that had any problem and the only round of about 2K to have a problem. I shoot Wilson mags only. Other than a tight slide and safety there was no diffrance between the TRS and any of my other well worn 1911's in function and speed (Well other than everything being a lot smoother!)

I think I paid around $1600 for it NIB. + tax....

JiminCA
02-23-2007, 8:45 AM
As a SD oriented shooter you would enjoy IDPA. We have a very sociable but accomplished bunch of competitors that shoot at Piru every 4th sat of the Month. There's one this sat.

There are some serious shooters there that you would likely enjoy meeting, and competition shakes you and your gear out.

Maps and info at www.isishootists.com Hope you can come.

If you live out west of LA, there are good matches at Prado I hear.

1911su16b870
02-23-2007, 9:24 AM
fwiw Ranger T is the most problematic .45 JHP I've come across. I've looked closely at a few failures to feed with this ammo in a Kimber and found it happened when the little "petal" like opening in the hollowpoint got turned just the wrong way it would catch between the ramp and barrel on the leading edge of the barrel.

My next 1911 will be a Baer. I have had a similar experience with 2 rounds Winchester Ranger FTF in my TLE RLII. I have run 500 rounds of that ammo. I have been running the Remington Golden Saber for the last 18 months with out a problem. I went through 200 rounds at the range prior without a problem and then started carrying that. I typically fire my carry mag of 8 rounds weekly at the range. Wipe clean after and reload it with new Rem Golden Sabers for the next week. Seems the brass folded jacketing is pretty reliable and forgiving in feeding.

SUNDOWN45
02-23-2007, 10:01 AM
Hey That Trs Is A Sweet Shooting Gun No Doubt But Had A Question On The Kimber @ 90,000 Rds What Have You Replaced Anything Yet And How Often Do You Shoot????

One Last Question What Tactical School Taught You To Shoot 4 Rds Center Mass @ 1.5 Secs From The Holster????? That Would Be A Dream School To Visit

Mael
02-23-2007, 11:14 AM
Kimber recommends that you replace the recoil spring every 3000 - 4000 rounds. Not sure what would need to be replaced for a gun with 90K rounds through it, maybe the leaf spring or the firing pin spring.

SUNDOWN45
02-23-2007, 11:23 AM
I Know What Kimber Says I Want To Know What Has Happened With His Particular Gun

SVTNate
02-23-2007, 12:31 PM
Reading Posts Like This Make Me Want To Drop An Anvil On My Crotch. :(

NwG
02-23-2007, 6:40 PM
Jim- Thanks for the invite! Sounds like you have a good groupe of guys. That is the main reason I don't shoot comps. You always run into some A-Hole that just kills the fun.. I will try to come out there.

Hey That Trs Is A Sweet Shooting Gun No Doubt But Had A Question On The Kimber @ 90,000 Rds What Have You Replaced Anything Yet And How Often Do You Shoot????

The only thing I have replaced is springs.. All of them a few times! The gun is pretty loose now but still accurate. I shoot a few times a week for a total of about 1,000 rounds a week.. At least thats what I try to do.. Dosen't happen every week.

One Last Question What Tactical School Taught You To Shoot 4 Rds Center Mass @ 1.5 Secs From The Holster????? That Would Be A Dream School To Visit ETA- I have a video around somewhare of 9 shots a reload 8 shots a reload and 6 more shots in 10 seconds.. All COM at 3 yards.. :)

I went to Thunder Ranch and Gunsite a few years back. Took the short pistol and a carbine class.. Lots of fun. I was in school then and didn't stay on top of my training and lost most of what I learned. Last year I started takeing classes with Fred (Tackdriver) from West Coast Tactical at Sharpshooters in Torrance. Fred broke me of my bad habits and I learned a bunch of new stuff.. But mainly just relearned the basics.. As I said before there is no diffrance between slow target shooting and fast defensive shooting.. It is all basics, you just get faster the more you train! I go back and shoot in all the classes he teaches.. Even the Level 1 classes.. Helps keep the correct methods going. As I said I am only 26 (I had a birthday sence the start of this post!) so I guess I have a bunch of years to keep learning!!!

If anyone is intrested in the classes contact Fred (Tackdriver) or go to wct.4t.com.. His classes are really worth it.. For those who have never taken a class.. It can seem a little scary at first.. You don't want to look like a fool.. Don't worry!! You won't. You will love every bit of the class and only want more!

Nate D

Exiledviking
03-02-2007, 1:36 PM
NwG,

You wrote on 05-31-2006, 06:09 PM:
The Classic has over 30,000+ rounds down the OG pipe with no problems and no real loss in accuracy.

and on 02-22-2007, 12:29 AM:
Maybe now I can give the old Kimber Classic Custom a rest and send it out for a refinish.. She needs it after ~90,000 rounds!!!

You have put 60,000+ rounds thru your Kimber Classic in the last 10 months?
Is that correct?
Like the above poster, I would like to know if you have replaced any parts or if any repairs have been needed.

NwG
03-02-2007, 7:01 PM
Exile,
My early round count was found to be a bit low for the gun.. I just recently went through and did my best to figure out total round count.. That number is right around 90,000 rounds down the pipe..

I said before that I shoot about 1,000 .45 rounds a week.. Sometimes more sometimes less.. Depends on how much ammo I load or feel like buying.. I shoot 1-4 times a week. Some weeks I will shoot 2,000 rounds.. Other maybe only 500... I shoot a bunch.. Constant pratice and good training have made it well worth the cost...

As stated in my last post. the only thing that has been replaced on the Kimber Classic Custom is springs.. All of them a few times.. I change the recoil, main and fireing pin springs at around every 5,000 rounds.. The barrel is still plenty accurate and the slide while a little loose is still smooth. The slide stop cut out in the slide is getting a little peened, but it still catches just fine.

No repairs have been needed.. The gun does need a new finish.. Maybe now that I am shooting the TRS I can send the Kimber out to be refinished and gone over..

Shenaniguns
04-12-2007, 4:57 PM
Excellent review... This will be my next pistol and my first 1911 :)

lunde
04-12-2007, 8:10 PM
Here's my TRS:

http://lundestudio.com/photos/trs-ag.jpg